Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2014 11:26:38 AM EDT
Cody Wilson & Defense Distributed, who caused the previous fecal accumulation with the Liberator all-plastic gun has announced the Ghost Gunner, a one cubic foot CNC mill designed with completing AR-15 "80%" metal lowers in mind.

DD's youtube announcement, which made me laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwRtll3jjU4

One of a million links to the story this morning:

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/cody-wilson-ghost-gunner/

And I assume there are 73 threads in GD but I didn't look.

$1200, plug n play to your PC. 100+ already pre-ordered. Nice product announcement in that it coincides with the death of the AWB ten years ago today.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I just wish I had one of those creepy basements with the pig mask to house a mini CNC machine.  Apparently, according to them, you have to have a creepy dark basement and a pig mask hanging on the wall if you are one of the evil horrible people building a completely legal gun for your own use.

The mini CNC machine is brilliant... unfortunately, it will likely scare them so bad they will make things even worse.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#4]
those lowers look pretty rough.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
That is pretty cool...1200.00 i think seems a little steep considering you supply the PC to do the CNC portion. They sell that smaller milling machine at Harbor Freight and other companies sell the same thing for like 500-600.00. I guess to purchase either, you would have to be very serious about making lowers...and from what i read when i looked into making an 80% lower, you cannot sell them or even give them away legally i guess, only for your own personal use. I may have read it wrong, but thats what i got from it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#6]
you couldn't make them with the purpose of selling them, but you can sell them "if you don't want it anymore", but it would have to have a serial number added.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you couldn't make them with the purpose of selling them, but you can sell them "if you don't want it anymore", but it would have to have a serial number added.
View Quote

I've always heard that you can't sell them at all or give them away also....might be worth it to build your own lowers if you had the option to sell someday if you chose to.  Do you have a link to where it says you can sell after they have been serial numbered?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've always heard that you can't sell them at all or give them away also....might be worth it to build your own lowers if you had the option to sell someday if you chose to.  Do you have a link to where it says you can sell after they have been serial numbered?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal
Firearms Licenses (FFLs). However, we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the
firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also,
the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR 478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully
transferred in the future."

and paragraph 2:
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#10]
That answers that...thanks!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Just saw this on Yahoo and came here to search!

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#13]
what does the 3rd sentence in the 2nd paragraph in the letter above state?

the first sentence states: non licensee..his or her  personal use, which would be individuals.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Doesn't apply to individuals.

There's no law or regulation requiring individuals who make their own guns to mark the gun at any time, whether during creation or before transfer.

Check for yourself and quote me the provision that says so.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal
Firearms Licenses (FFLs). However, we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the
firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also,
the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR 478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully
transferred in the future."

and paragraph 2:
http://www.victorinc.com/images/ATF's%20AMD-65%20Response%20-%20Pg%202.jpg

Doesn't apply to individuals.

There's no law or regulation requiring individuals who make their own guns to mark the gun at any time, whether during creation or before transfer.

Check for yourself and quote me the provision that says so.

i understand that. i guess i should've said "should have a serial number added (per atf)" which is what was quoted later on.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I have to believe ATF is purposefully being misleading with their current web page language on serial numbers and other "info" on homemade guns. On the previous version of the ATF website the language regarding sale and distribution of homemade guns was fairly clear but the info on marking and serial numbers was a little unclear.  

The result has been all the same questions and misunderstandings that we see every time a make-you-own-receiver thread comes by; "you can make it but you can never sell it", "it has to be serial numbered', and on and on.

Given that ATF had been ambiguous in their published guidance, you would think they would have looked forward to wording things clearly this time around. But nooooooo, it's worse than ever. The law hasn't changed but the ATF wording would make you think it has. They have even gone so far as to change their original wording that used the term "individuals [who make their own guns]" to use the term "manufacturers" leaving the implication that only manufacturers can make guns or that anyone who makes a gun is therefore subject to the laws governing manufacturers.

It would not have taken a master wordsmith to write the "homemade gun" guidance in perfectly clear language. Instead, ATF chose awkward language that obfuscated the law even more. So, one asks the rhetorical question, "Why would they do that?"

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm betting they attended the Oklahoma state government school of ambiguous and purposely misleading law writing class.  

There's no choice but to assume it's all on purpose since these people are all well educated and are capable of forming comprehensible sentences.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#18]
what sucks is that the atf plays by their own rules and there doesn't seem to be a whole of oversight.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Paragraph 2 of that letter is not in compliance with the law. Period. Mr. Nixon added that BS on his own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top