Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2014 6:47:15 PM EDT
Anyone know of a salvage yard on the north side of OKC?  We've got my sister's sons 2001 Honda Accord LX that had an engine fire and can't be driven that we need to get rid of ASAP.  We were going to donate it to charity but the boy lost the title and it's bound to get us ticketed sitting where it is before he can get a new one.  We don't have anywhere else to move it and we cannot afford a ticket for having it parked on the street.

I HAVE to get this thing out of here fast.

It's Bree's son's car.  His first car he got when he started college was destroyed along with everything he owned when their house was destroyed in the big Moore tornado.  The insurance company screwed him over so he didn't have much money to get another but scraped together enough to buy this Honda.  Then last week the engine catches fire while he's in class and now that car is useless.  The engine is FUBAR but the rest of the car is fine, still it's useless.  So now, he is driving my car and I'm without a vehicle ..

Anywho...I saw a city guy stop about an hour and look at the car so I expect that at some point this evening or tomorrow they are going to show up and write us a ticket we can't afford to pay .

Any suggestions or help out there?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Only thing I can think of is the metal recycle joint on the south side off I35. You can even make a buck off it if they accept it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
It costs way too much to tow a car to the south side.  I have a company that would take it for $225 but we would have to get it to them and paying a tow truck cuts into what little money we are getting already.  This car cost $4200 - engine fire (liability insurance) = screwed badly.  Under the circumstances with him losing his first car and everything he owned in the tornado, this has gone to crap real fast.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#3]
know anyone with Triple A?
they'll tow a non member's vehicle as long as the member's present.

i'm pretty sure salvage yards aren't allowed in North OKC.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an F250, if you can find a trailer and winch to pull it onto the trailer?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
guy hauled my junker off wth one of hose front wheel dollies you can rent at u haul.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
We do have AAA, they towed it home from the college but their services don't cover hauling it to a salvage yard.  I've had a few responses from Craigslist but they have all been the usual scam types but nobody who has been been serious yet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you sell a car without a title with just a bill of sales? The car is undriveable and the buyer says he doesn't need a title since he's going to use it for parts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Call one of the "Pull a Part" places and see if they would take it. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:22:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you sell a car without a title with just a bill of sales? The car is undriveable and the buyer says he doesn't need a title since he's going to use it for parts.
View Quote

if  the buyer doesn't insist on a title,sure.
mutual bills if sale would be a good idea since the car.s still registered to the owner, and theoretically the owner's responsible for that vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Have file for a lost title with a tag office, $20 ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#12]
According to the tag office and what I read online, as long as the car is being sold as a parts car and won't be titled to go on the streets again it can be sold without the title, using a notarized bill of sale, which is what I'll be doing.  I have a guy who wants the car so, as long as he shows up tomorrow with the money, it's sold! We took a huge loss but there was no alternative unfortunately.  I'll just be glad to get rid of the headache and stress this whole ordeal has caused.  Then comes trying to find him another car cheap that's not a POS *sigh*, so I can have my car back.  What a PITA.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#13]
If you decide to sell it/transfer it/etc, and you do this for PARTS ONLY which means the buyer won't be registering it, you can find yourself in a predicament since the vehicle is "still in your name".  You can pay the Tag Agency about $10 and they can remove your name from the vehicle, and if you have the buyer's info, they can put it in.  Good idea to CYA.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Exactly.... That's why the notarized bill of sale is required.  Unfortunately, the buyer welched on me after I agreed to sell it to him for a bargain and not accept any higher bids.  I wanted to help him because he was in a bind, even though we are in a far worse bind, and he frickin welched.  That's what I get I guess.  So now I'm back to trying to get it sold *sigh*.  If someone was mechanically inclined they could buy it for $500, strip a third of the parts and make that money back and then the rest would be pure profit.   You would think someone out there would jump at the opportunity but I've only got one standing offer of $450 so far and he is waiting till we have the replacement title before finalizing anything.  He thinks he's going to get outbid before then but at this rate it doesn't appear he will.  Too bad, it's a good money maker for someone who has the skills to take parts off a car.  Either way, the title should be in hand in about week.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wouldn't they need to title to do that?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you decide to sell it/transfer it/etc, and you do this for PARTS ONLY which means the buyer won't be registering it, you can find yourself in a predicament since the vehicle is "still in your name".  You can pay the Tag Agency about $10 and they can remove your name from the vehicle, and if you have the buyer's info, they can put it in.  Good idea to CYA.

Wouldn't they need to title to do that?

I don't recall.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Call Pull-A-Part.

They'll come tow it off, and pay you for it. Engine fire may take the "value" down a little, but frame, internal cabin, and lenses should still be ok.

Don't have their number handy, but it's worth a shot.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I've talked to a few of those places....the high bid was $225 if I delivered but $100 something if they pick it up.  They want to make the max they can off the parts of course, that's their business but I am forced to get as much as possible so that is excluding those guys.  Right now I have a $450 offer, just have to wait on the replacement title.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top