Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 4:58:24 AM EDT
Hey everybody.
I am getting ready to start my first AR Pistol build. I just got a new stripped Anderson lower in yesterday from Fat Boy Tactical. That's where I am starting and looking for any advice or suggestions on barrels, hand guards, buffer tubes, etc....
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#1]
What is your goal?

barrel length
quadrails or not
etc
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is your goal?

barrel length
quadrails or not
etc
View Quote

I'm thinking 10.5 inch barrel, not sure if I want quadrails or just a smooth handguard yet.  Muzzle break and LPK.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm thinking 10.5 inch barrel, not sure if I want quadrails or just a smooth handguard yet.  Muzzle break and LPK.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is your goal?

barrel length
quadrails or not
etc

caliber?

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

caliber?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is your goal?

barrel length
quadrails or not
etc

caliber?

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I built my .22lr with a 10.5" barrel with the Diamondhead VRS-X 10.25" handguard. For kicks I used a Fortis Red SS comp.  I added the Sig Brace and a Blackdog 50rd drum mag and the pistol is now one of my favorite range toys.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to build a lightweight 5.56 AR pistol with the Sig brace for a home defense gun.  Loaded up with Hornady TAP it would have plenty of stopping ability but without the danger of over penetration that comes with high velocity handguns like the 9mm or shotguns with buckshot.  A light/laser added on would make it about perfect.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd like to build a lightweight 5.56 AR pistol with the Sig brace for a home defense gun.  Loaded up with Hornady TAP it would have plenty of stopping ability but without the danger of over penetration that comes with high velocity handguns like the 9mm or shotguns with buckshot.  A light/laser added on would make it about perfect.
View Quote

i was reading about a guy shooting TAP through a 7.5" ar at 50 yards and he was punching holes through level III armor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#8]
TAP is considered a barrier penetrating round, not good in a house. It will zing right though several walls, great round when it hits intended target.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#9]
There are several different version of the TAPS ammo, some designed to be better at penetrating barriers and some designed to fragment easier and some in between.  While you couldn't get ten gun folks in a room to agree on anything, I've seen enough "experts" recommend 55 grain .223 Hornady TAPS as the best home defense ammo and penetration tests to base my decisions on that.

I would very much like to see a test done with the various popular handgun and AR caliber/cartridge choices done in a real house or simulated.  Putting a bunch of Sheetrock a couple inches apart is a start but we need a full scale test with more than just one FMJ as the AR sample.  That would end all the guessing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

It will have an awful flash and be painfully loud.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Nothing wrong with that, it is better than a bonded bullet for indoor use, the ,Remington PSP is another indoor favorite, old school but very good. The difference in the TAP for "LE" and the others is the powder, less flash for LE, or so I have been told, any kind of bullet beats the hell out of nothing if you need one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top