Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 1:58:15 AM EDT
Has anybody tried sending their Form 1 or Form 4 CLEO notification form to their local Commonwealth Attorney yet?

I know the list of people the form can be sent to includes them, but has anybody actually done so yet? If so, what kind of response did you get if any?

Was going to send it to VSP but I recall seeing a post somewhere saying VSP had sent a return letter stating they were just forwarding them onto the local police/sheriff dept.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I sent mine to the superintendent of the VSP. I would just send it there and forget about it. Once it drops in the mail I don't care what happens to it after that, my job has been fulfilled at that point.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]

That was my plan until I saw the post about VSP just forwarding them to local department. Local sheriff department seems to be keeping a file/record of who has what. I don't think I like that very much and was trying to avoid such. If VSP wants to keep it in a file, I am fine with that. Not so much the local departments.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The state police share with the local police.  Always have with the mg registry. NFA means you are registering a firearm with the government.  A lot of people don't like that, but that is the NFA game.  Send it to who you want but don't expect it to be secret from any other LEO.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I do not have a machine gun and if I did, I would not have an issue with such item being registered here in VA. There is VA law that covers such registration. If there was a VA law requiring registration of my NFA items with VSP or local PD, then I would not have an issue with doing so. There is no VA law requiring registration of NFA items with local PD. I am not trying to hide anything from the gov.

My issue is the sheriff deciding to keep records of my NFA items when there is no VA law requiring them to do so. There is no reason or need for them to keep them. Lets just say I have more then one NFA item and it was not until the last one or two that the sheriff office decided to start "keeping on file" what items I have. Maybe they have been doing it for years. I just know mine were not as I was there when the paperwork was signed off on and no copies were made of the forms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top