Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2017 7:48:33 PM EDT
So apparently the Winding Brook location closed a few days ago when the property owners took back over the building and changed the locks.

The image above was posted by someone on facebook complaining about it. Anyone know what went down there? I personally have only been once but was kinda surprised to hear about this. Their response to this in updating the website and facebook seem to be really bad(considering the other location is still open).
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#1]
They are closed - confirmed - until further notice. Since their billing company is different, make sure you cancel your membership with the billing company direct or you likely will still get billed. I'm calling them today and I've already disputed my July payment with my credit card. NOT COOL!!!! But also not surprised as I was never impressed how they were run from the beginning and it's not very busy in there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
They didn't impress me at all ,
Saw the writing on the wall after 5 min, on the phone with them when they first opened,
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I would like to see Greentops pick it up and run with it.
With their business model it would be a huge success ; not to mention a little ribbing to BPS across the street
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would like to see Greentops pick it up and run with it.
With their business model it would be a huge success ; not to mention a little ribbing to BPS across the street
View Quote
Wasn't there talk at some point about Greentop opening its own range? I kept hearing people talk about it a few years ago.

Anyway I remember either on here or in like the vaguns subreddit people talking poorly about blue ridge arsenal. So I guess this doesn't surprise me.

That being said the setup of a range like that is very expensive. I'm guessing it will get sold to someone else.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I never had a problem there.  I never bought anything from them though, just went and shot.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Isn't the owner of Blue Ridge a huge Obama supporter and campaign donor?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
No,  he supported him the first time(2008)  I'm not aware of a donation but it certainly wasn't huge if there was one.

The owner of silver eagle group is the big Democratic bundler,  hundreds of thousands .

I'm sad to hear they closed.  I really don't enjoy the times I have to shoot at Colonial and was happy to see an alternative.   At the end of the day, I have to wonder if the market can really sustain two high-end indoor ranges.   
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No,  he supported him the first time(2008)  I'm not aware of a donation but it certainly wasn't huge if there was one.

The owner of silver eagle group is the big Democratic bundler,  hundreds of thousands .

I'm sad to hear they closed.  I really don't enjoy the times I have to shoot at Colonial and was happy to see an alternative.   At the end of the day, I have to wonder if the market can really sustain two high-end indoor ranges.   
View Quote
They are far enough apart that they should be able to. I kinda wonder if building it right next to a big gun store(and very close to another) was a good move or bad one though. I might be trying to undercut them and do cheaper transfers to try and draw people in. I personally am not a fan of colonial so this place could have been more interesting. I was kinda disappointed at how empty the inside was when I walked in though. I mean honestly dominion shooting in south side(haven't been in years) used to have as much inventory in a much smaller showroom. I might have been more interested in going if I could do some shopping at the range at the same time.

Colonial has bad customer service so I haven't been shooting there in a pretty long time. They really pissed me off like 2 years ago when I bought a suppressor from them. Paid in full at the time of purchase and when I picked it up they said I owed them money for layaway charges. It was only a buck or two but I was pissed as it wasn't layaway(I paid in full) and two it wasn't mentioned until it was ready for pickup like 4 or 5 months later. If they wanted the buck they should have charged it to me when I paid for the item. I almost demanded a refund instead. Haven't been shooting there since. I've also bought around 10 nfa items since, colonial isn't even on my list of places to consider.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gotcha.  Thanks for clarification.  Only here in NoVA do I need to keep straight which shooting range is the bigger gun-grabber supporter.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#10]
BRA simply failed to pay their rent for months and the owner of the building evicted them.  They went through the Hanover County court system to file the eviction.   Plain and simple.  

Here is a local news report about it.  CBS 6 BRA story

What piss poor management....
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#11]
According to facebook, range is up and running again (by the landlord/owner).  Reportedly they are honoring existing memberships.  Not sure on the operating hours, but I will go there next week and see what the deal is.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
According to facebook, range is up and running again (by the landlord/owner).  Reportedly they are honoring existing memberships.  Not sure on the operating hours, but I will go there next week and see what the deal is.
View Quote
Look up richmond bizsense.com

Has the info
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I gotta laugh at one part of the article.

He said the group is operating the gun range for two reasons: “To maintain our staff and their livelihood, and make sure they still had a job; and two, to maintain memberships. The old tenant had members who had paid for a year’s membership and we’re going to honor those contracts.”
View Quote
They are doing it because they dumped a lot of money into that place and want to make it back either running it themselves or getting it setup where they can spin the business to another group and collect rent.

That being said good on them for trying to keep the employees and honoring the memberships. Good way to try and make people happy that might spend money with them or a new tenant in the future.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:14:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Earl supported Obama both times ( probably didn't repeat his mistake of saying he supported Obama on camera the second time) and I guarantee you he and Deb both voted for Hillary.
They are both dyed in the wool liberals.

And I'm not the least bit shocked to hear that they didn't pay their bills...
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Just an update I saw elsewhere.

Here

Another  bit of info
Saw a big "RANGE IS OPEN" sign on the building today, so I stopped in and spoke with Ken and Ronnie... guys that were there before and are still with the range now. New name: 

Winding Brook Indoor Shooting Range

The range is back open, and it is still a great place to shoot. Head on over there. Long story, but the short of it is this:

* The old owner, Blue Ridge Arsenal (BRA), is no longer affiliated

* The new owners, said (via a news article I read) to be funded or partnered with the site developer,  are focusing on providing excellent range service

* If you had a BRA annual membership, these folks will honor that membership until it expires. After that you will have a choice of plans to join Winding Brook Range and I will probably convert to the $35/month option

Hours right now are 12 noon to 7 PM and closed on Tuesday.

Please pass the word to others. The guys noted that Blue Ridge Arsenal did not provide the new owners with the customer list so they have no way to reach out to existing members to let them know that Winding Brook will honor the Blue Ridge memberships. 
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I think it says something that the guy didn't even show up to court. Will be interesting if we hear how they end up going after him.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Nor his lawyer..lol
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think it says something that the guy didn't even show up to court. Will be interesting if we hear how they end up going after him.
View Quote
Means you lose every time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top