Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2017 10:49:43 AM EDT
Looking at a position just south of dulles airport, I have run the cost numbers, so I know where I need to be salary wise--so ASIDE from housing (that $ is obvious for me) so far I see state income taxes are pretty high and vehicle taxes are pretty high...is there anything else that really digs into your budget that you don't normally expect aside from those? Example, home insurance, car insurance, grocieries, entertainment?

Commute wise, if I can leave before 6:00, how does the commute from the Gainesville area really go for you (this could be haymarket/bristow/etc)--I have been out there before, but never tried the commute during work hour time.--curious to hear from anyone with experience--obviously would like a SFH, due to family size and such, though it wouldn't have to be huge (~2000sq ft is no problem with a basement and garage).  I think a bunch of folks out there are really just more comfortable taking on much more housing debt than most from the numbers on salary and housing costs they pay online!

TIA!

Updated if anyone cares ;)

So I went out there to look at homes/areas that could possibly be in my price range and I am not so high on things...not seeing a lot of positives other than the job.  Can I assume nearly all other goods and services are a little higher priced than other places too?  If anyone wants to convince me that its a good idea to move there, now is the time, but I'm not feeling it at the moment  Maybe if you had great weather, or a mountain range, or a beach right there? LOL

Thanks for all the help so far!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking at a position just south of dulles airport, I have run the cost numbers, so I know where I need to be salary wise--so ASIDE from housing (that $ is obvious for me) so far I see state income taxes are pretty high and vehicle taxes are pretty high...is there anything else that really digs into your budget that you don't normally expect aside from those? Example, home insurance, car insurance, grocieries, entertainment?

Commute wise, if I can leave before 6:00, how does the commute from the Gainesville area really go for you (this could be haymarket/bristow/etc)--I have been out there before, but never tried the commute during work hour time.--curious to hear from anyone with experience--obviously would like a SFH, due to family size and such, though it wouldn't have to be huge (~2000sq ft is no problem with a basement and garage).  I think a bunch of folks out there are really just more comfortable taking on much more housing debt than most from the numbers on salary and housing costs they pay online!

TIA!
View Quote

I can't help you on the commute time question but if you plug in both addresses in Google Maps, you can change your departure times to see how long the commute will be.  I live next to Gainesville, in Nokesville.  I highly recommend Nokesville.  I am also living within my means . There is a nice house on my street going up for sale next year, 5 acres like all of the other houses in this neighborhood and we can and do shoot on our properties.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can't help you on the commute time question but if you plug in both addresses in Google Maps, you can change your departure times to see how long the commute will be.  I live next to Gainesville, in Nokesville.  I highly recommend Nokesville.  I am also living within my means . There is a nice house on my street going up for sale next year, 5 acres like all of the other houses in this neighborhood and we can and do shoot on our properties.
View Quote
As you have mentioned in IMs, I am open to that for sure, but very few things pop up in that area...and the one you are talking, with the 5 acres I'm assuming to guess over 500k?  That's gonna be over my budget for sure...if I had to do it, I could only go that high if I could justify 15 min commute or something, but still too high for me...
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
We live in Bluemont, which is in Clarke Co (next to Loudon Co) and we both commute into Fairfax area. We leave at 0530 and i drop my wife off in Fairfax at 0630-0645 and i drive into Alexandria. prices in Prince William Co. are going up since we moved out of Manassas. We have 12 acres on Mt Weather, and building a range on it just for us to shoot. We paid under $360k for it and looked for 8 months to find what we wanted. Totally worth the extra drive time to be in the mountains. We do not have kids, but the schools in Clarke Co are great, as far as our neighbors tell us. Taxes are 1/3 to 1/2 of what NOVA is. And no, we are not considered NOVA here. Check around and see what you find. Remember- the farther out you are willing to go, the better the prices, quieter the area, lower the taxes and crime.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We live in Bluemont, which is in Clarke Co (next to Loudon Co) and we both commute into Fairfax area. We leave at 0530 and i drop my wife off in Fairfax at 0630-0645 and i drive into Alexandria. prices in Prince William Co. are going up since we moved out of Manassas. We have 12 acres on Mt Weather, and building a range on it just for us to shoot. We paid under $360k for it and looked for 8 months to find what we wanted. Totally worth the extra drive time to be in the mountains. We do not have kids, but the schools in Clarke Co are great, as far as our neighbors tell us. Taxes are 1/3 to 1/2 of what NOVA is. And no, we are not considered NOVA here. Check around and see what you find. Remember- the farther out you are willing to go, the better the prices, quieter the area, lower the taxes and crime.
View Quote
Thanks--and I get that all that is possible too, hard for someone without good knowledge of the area to know!  I hear all the horror stories of people who live 20 miles away but have 1 hr commutes, so how do you get that far in an hour?  is it just that traffic doesn't pick up until later?  I drive a little less than an hour now, have those things to some degree and do NOT think its worth it after multiple years, myself (the 1 hr commute is getting old)-I had a position for a year that was a 20 min drive and it made life so much better!  However I work with ppl who drive 1.5 each way, so I know opinions vary on it.

The lower prices are definitely appealing, just seems like anything past warrenton/round hill is easily an hour, or can get more than that if anything happened on the road.  My issue is how long I would want to rent to figure it out, its part of the strategy I have to work out (rent first or not, and for how long)--but rent is a bear out there too!

I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in Fredericksburg and take the VRE commuter train into DC.  If you're a .gov employee they subsidize your mass transit up to $255 a month
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I live in Fredericksburg and take the VRE commuter train into DC.  If you're a .gov employee they subsidize your mass transit up to $255 a month
View Quote
Won't be able to take mass transit, do they reimburse tollway fees?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#7]
if you're a ctr u can ask nicely for reimbursement.
when it rains or snows the commute gets stupid.
very stupid.
otherwise just leave early and go home early.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks--and I get that all that is possible too, hard for someone without good knowledge of the area to know!  I hear all the horror stories of people who live 20 miles away but have 1 hr commutes, so how do you get that far in an hour?  is it just that traffic doesn't pick up until later?  I drive a little less than an hour now, have those things to some degree and do NOT think its worth it after multiple years, myself (the 1 hr commute is getting old)-I had a position for a year that was a 20 min drive and it made life so much better!  However I work with ppl who drive 1.5 each way, so I know opinions vary on it.

The lower prices are definitely appealing, just seems like anything past warrenton/round hill is easily an hour, or can get more than that if anything happened on the road.  My issue is how long I would want to rent to figure it out, its part of the strategy I have to work out (rent first or not, and for how long)--but rent is a bear out there too!

I appreciate it!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate it!
Recommend renting and doing the commute wherever you end up first before you buy.  Buddy from Md was looking at gainsville, smaller house in the $399k range.  Commute down 66 if ok in the morning if there hasn't been an accident.  Forget about it if it rains, snows, bright sun, etc. Once traffic backs up, its all over.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Recommend renting and doing the commute wherever you end up first before you buy.  Buddy from Md was looking at gainsville, smaller house in the $399k range.  Commute down 66 if ok in the morning if there hasn't been an accident.  Forget about it if it rains, snows, bright sun, etc. Once traffic backs up, its all over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate it!
I'm so glad I never had to use 66 to commute during the 3 years I was living in Arlington. That road is pure hell.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Comparing this with the above comment about coming from Bluemont and that being no problem are what I am so confused about...how can 2 stories be so different?!  (Not diminishing either one, just trying to figure out what the difference is, is it truly what time you leave?)

Yeah, I understand the renting being the idea everyone seems to think is good, not dismissing the utility of it, just wish I could skip it. I just really don't want to have to pack/unpack twice and probably move my kids school again.

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Comparing this with the above comment about coming from Bluemont and that being no problem are what I am so confused about...how can 2 stories be so different?!  (Not diminishing either one, just trying to figure out what the difference is, is it truly what time you leave?)

Yeah, I understand the renting being the idea everyone seems to think is good, not dismissing the utility of it, just wish I could skip it. I just really don't want to have to pack/unpack twice and probably move my kids school again.

Thanks all!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks all!
Gainesville and Bluemont use different main arteries, 66 has more things that can go wrong, 7/15 and the Greenaway early in the morning have less things that can go wrong.  I would pick the Bluemont vs Gainesville for south of Dulles commute.  Google will show you average commute times, either track it everyday for a couple of weeks or get a hotel and run the commute live during the time you normally would travel.  It's not always the time you leave, its murphy, he pops up at random times and just have to deal with it.  

One thing in general about DC traffic, it can be 2 in the morning and you can hit a traffic jam.  Two recent events, there were two CSX employees killed on the tracks, they shutdown main east coast corridor and most of the commuting trains until the investigation was finished from Early AM accident that wasn't cleared up until midday.  That forced people to drive which contributed to other traffic jams on major roads.

The other event this week was a death/tractor trailer accident early in the morning and 495 (beltway around the city) was shutdown and people waited in their cars for 3 hours to get thru.  Accident happened early AM and took past the normal rush hour to clear it.

These are extreme cases, but most of the time if you leave at 6am you will be ok.  If there are the monthly/weekly major events you could run into traffic/be delayed.  Part of DC traffic.

The issue not addressed is the return trip, 3:30-7pm is normal rush hour on 66 going west and 7 going west.  If you can beat these times, you'll also be ok, otherwise both 66 (Gainesville) and route 7 are parking lots/slow going during rush hour.

Rent vs Buy:  Many areas are just recovering from the 08 housing crash and its towards the height of the market for housing here in the DC area.  Housing is creeping up and rents are going up as well, but houses are moving.  Many in 08-16 were underwater, not necessarily from overbuying, many areas in general were hit hard, like $50-100k hard.   The suggestion for renting until you see the neighborhood, schools, etc. make sense if you don't know the area/community vs having to sell and move.  In general, all the schools in the area are good, some are better then others, some are worse, but overall as systems head and shoulders above most counties in the country.

Other other consideration is does your job require travel during the day from one office to another or client sites?  With kids, if you are trying to see make a parent meeting or sports practice, games, etc., that's where the return commute matters and if you have the flexibility to get in early and leave early that's great.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I sometimes work out in my office near Dulles,  I just come from Centreville and going North on 28 in the morning and south in the evening can be a nightmare.  

I have a Co-Worker that lives out near Warrenton (which is past Gainsville).  He is in the office by 6 AM and gone by 2:30 PM to miss traffic.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#13]
OP- Can you be a little more specific of area you will be working in? South of Dulles is kind of not saying a whole lot. South of the airport is Rt50 which really is not that far from I66. There are even a few work a rounds you can do to avoid I66/rt28 depending on where you are going.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP- Can you be a little more specific of area you will be working in? South of Dulles is kind of not saying a whole lot. South of the airport is Rt50 which really is not that far from I66. There are even a few work a rounds you can do to avoid I66/rt28 depending on where you are going.
View Quote
Using 50 would be an excellent alternative and I have thought of that and living in Bull Run Mt area of Haymarket, maybe?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As you have mentioned in IMs, I am open to that for sure, but very few things pop up in that area...and the one you are talking, with the 5 acres I'm assuming to guess over 500k?  That's gonna be over my budget for sure...if I had to do it, I could only go that high if I could justify 15 min commute or something, but still too high for me...
View Quote
Sorry, forgot about that.  Wouldn't hurt to post what kind of experience you have and what you are looking for, maybe some of us could help you out with a good job.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I drive from independent hill up the 28 to where it ends at VA7. A quick drive is 45 minutes but a bad day is 90 minutes or more.

I leave my house at 5am and am the office by 6. I go home at 330 and make it home by 445pm.
This gives me more time with the kids and avoids some of rush hour.

VA28 is terrible from Manassas to about a mile north of the 66. It can take 30-45 minutes to go 7 miles.

Personal property taxes are rough, even for older cars with almost 200k miles. My house property tax is more then my in-laws entire mortgage in AZ.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Its all about when you leave. If we don't leave by 0530, its a 1.5 hr ride. Leave at 0500-0515, the drive is 1 hr to 1 hr 15mins. We also watch the news first thing in am to see if there is problems. We can take Rt 7, Rt 50, Rt 66 or the Dulles tollroad/267 into Fairfax/Tysons Corners. Once there, 495 south to Gallows Rd to drop the wife, then on south to the 395/Edsall Rd. The earlier you can leave in am, the better. That said, if you leave after 0915-0930, it is slow since the HOV lanes are open to all traffic and most DC commuters are already at work. Rents are high in Loudon, Fairfax and Prince William Co. once you get out of "NOVA" the rents go down. Round Hill is expensive cause it is in Loudon Co. and most of the housing is single family.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you both ACES and rainmaker, both very detailed and relevant info!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I drive from independent hill up the 28 to where it ends at VA7. A quick drive is 45 minutes but a bad day is 90 minutes or more.

I leave my house at 5am and am the office by 6. I go home at 330 and make it home by 445pm.
This gives me more time with the kids and avoids some of rush hour.

VA28 is terrible from Manassas to about a mile north of the 66. It can take 30-45 minutes to go 7 miles.

Personal property taxes are rough, even for older cars with almost 200k miles. My house property tax is more then my in-laws entire mortgage in AZ.
View Quote
There is a huge difference between working "south of Dulles airport" and having to drive all the way up rt28 to rt7. There is a lot of traffic back up between rt50 and rt7 on rt28. If OP does not work north of rt50...a lot of the rt28 traffic is cut out. But rt28 between I66 and Rt50 does back up in the SB lanes in the evening rush hour. But again, there are work a rounds here.

OP- can you give a general street or intersection your employer is close to? does not even have to be too close, just same general area.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:11:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Well this guy had to buy a new set of tires.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_24/615323_Dude-with-Texas-plates-in-Arlington-gets-his-tires-slashed--Nova-Redditors-shitpost-each-other-.html
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#21]
My commute from just south of Gainesville off of 29 to just north of Dulles off of 28 is 30-40 mins in the morning (leaving at 530 am).  In the afternoon it can be 40-50 mins depending on traffic (3pm).

NOVA childcare costs are highway robbery.  Other than that, living out in the sticks (Gainesville/warrenton) provides us with cheaper gas prices.  generally 15-25 cents cheaper than Fairfax.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My commute from just south of Gainesville off of 29 to just north of Dulles off of 28 is 30-40 mins in the morning (leaving at 530 am).  In the afternoon it can be 40-50 mins depending on traffic (3pm).

NOVA childcare costs are highway robbery.  Other than that, living out in the sticks (Gainesville/warrenton) provides us with cheaper gas prices.  generally 15-25 cents cheaper than Fairfax.
View Quote
Where do you shoot?  I'm sort of near you in Nokesville, I shoot at Elite.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Where do you shoot?  I'm sort of near you in Nokesville, I shoot at Elite.
View Quote
I shoot at Elite.  I was just there last week letting my 9 yr old shoot his birthday present. (his first rifle Ruger 10/22)

Elite is a great place and I love living in Fauquier county.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I loved living on MtWeather!  601 was always plowed during snowstorms better than any road I've seen, but god help you when you got to Rt 7.  
I was there on 9/11, the sheriff blocked the road at the bottom of the hill and only let us in once we showed our address on ID.  Alot of VIPs were evaced there after the attacks for a day or so.  

As to OP, I live in Bristow and commute to Chantilly to drop my kid off at the babysitter.  I leave late, around 9, and the trip is only 30-40 minutes.  ETA: my trip home from Rt.123exit on 66 is about an hour, less if I leave office at 7pm.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just curious, close to Vint Hill?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks to trueblue and akrado, very relevant info!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
yup
View Quote
Me too, we can hit Elite sometime.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Well hell, I'll be the one. Don't move to nova. No matter what job you can get. Screw that place.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well hell, I'll be the one. Don't move to nova. No matter what job you can get. Screw that place.
View Quote
Agreed, it's very hard to have a good work/life balance here.  The commute for nearly all (not me and I am thankful for that) is horrible, truly horrible.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I would strongly consider 1) living as close to work as possible, and 2) living in Loudon County along Rt. 50.  The reason for 2) is that the schools in Loudon are excellent (for now) and that helps re-sale home prices.  PWC schools are not as good.  Fairfax schools are slipping.  Loudon also seems extremely family-friendly.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would strongly consider 1) living as close to work as possible, and 2) living in Loudon County along Rt. 50.  The reason for 2) is that the schools in Loudon are excellent (for now) and that helps re-sale home prices.  PWC schools are not as good.  Fairfax schools are slipping.  Loudon also seems extremely family-friendly.
View Quote
My daughter's PWC school is rated an 8 at greatschools.org and we have that 10 acre rule in effecting Nokesville, no subdividing under 10 acres.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
More specifics would be great.  I can definitely see the drawbacks of the area as well, I don't think I am blind to that...but different strokes for different folks, I think I can live in a variety of places, whereas I know some others just couldn't stand living in the city or country (or vice versa of course).  And I yet know others who would say "why would you move anywhere for any job" vs those who will do anything the climb that ladder...so a bit of context helps.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

More specifics would be great.  I can definitely see the drawbacks of the area as well, I don't think I am blind to that...but different strokes for different folks, I think I can live in a variety of places, whereas I know some others just couldn't stand living in the city or country (or vice versa of course).  And I yet know others who would say "why would you move anywhere for any job" vs those who will do anything the climb that ladder...so a bit of context helps.  

Thanks!
View Quote
Answering only for myself. this area often has poor job stability, long commutes, and folks aren't that friendly.  That being said, there are good communities, good folks, and good jobs with easy commutes available if you know were to look and are just a little lucky.  I feel blessed to be in a gov't job 15 minutes from my house where I can shoot out in the country.  I still plan to move back to Wyoming in a few years though
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Answering only for myself. this area often has poor job stability, long commutes, and folks aren't that friendly.  That being said, there are good communities, good folks, and good jobs with easy commutes available if you know were to look and are just a little lucky.  I feel blessed to be in a gov't job 15 minutes from my house where I can shoot out in the country.  I still plan to move back to Wyoming in a few years though
View Quote
In honesty, I don't see it as my be all, end all final destination (probably like most)--but most people have to be there for the job, because it is easier to make less money at a lower COL area somewhere else oftentimes too.  I am trying to keep the commute to about 30 mins (nominal)--that is lower than the 50+ miles and hour one way I have now anyway.  If I had to say, drive from woodbridge to downtown DC in rush hour in the morning, no way. So I am hoping to find what a good community is like yours...I should have decent job stability and not have loads of hours--less than now for sure.  Just want to make sure I am in a nice area with decent education for the kids in a place that is healthy economically and has plenty for the rest of the family to do.  

So point me away from the western 'burbs that AREN'T that friendly :)

Going to take one more look out there to check things out and go off my gut feeling.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:14:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If I had to say, drive from woodbridge to downtown DC in rush hour in the morning, no way.
View Quote
I do this everyday, it's not terrible. 95 is generally predictable, and hov moves until you're within 2-3 miles of the city
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I do this everyday, it's not terrible. 95 is generally predictable, and hov moves until you're within 2-3 miles of the city
View Quote
See, I read conflicting opinions such as "OMG, I can't get from Ashburn to Reston in less than an hour in the morning!" to this

I do wonder how much of that is snowflakes who can't handle a little traffic and over exaggerate a bit.

Hell if I know anymore! (but thanks, as your anecdote is positive )
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

See, I read conflicting opinions such as "OMG, I can't get from Ashburn to Reston in less than an hour in the morning!" to this

I do wonder how much of that is snowflakes who can't handle a little traffic and over exaggerate a bit.

Hell if I know anymore! (but thanks, as your anecdote is positive )
View Quote
Traffic here is hell.  But if you are on the road by 6AM it's much easier to deal with than at 8AM.  In the afternoon it almost doesn't matter when you leave--traffic is always bad.  Surveys show DC has some of the worst traffic in the country.  I'd put it in the top 5 along with LA and Chicago.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#39]
updated OP
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:50:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Finding the right place to live here is hard.   Compromises are made.  You have to work on the search.

People with my income live in bigger homes with garages in other parts of the country.  I've never had a garage here but it's okay.  

It is worth living here.  Many of my friends elsewhere love Nova.  Mountains, beach, bay, NYC are all a few hours away.

The biggest reason to live here is work.  You earn more and have a bigger retirement along with higher home equity and can live in retirement elsewhere with more money.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Finding the right place to live here is hard.   Compromises are made.  You have to work on the search.

People with my income live in bigger homes with garages in other parts of the country.  I've never had a garage here but it's okay.  

It is worth living here.  Many of my friends elsewhere love Nova.  Mountains, beach, bay, NYC are all a few hours away.

The biggest reason to live here is work.  You earn more and have a bigger retirement along with higher home equity and can live in retirement elsewhere with more money.
View Quote

Yeah, work would be the only reason, and I would move if it was only affecting me, but have the family to pull along that #1 it affects them more (they are home more than me) and #2 makes me spend more on housing (detached/more bedrooms)!

So far, my retirement calculator there vs here is same or actually slightly worse, only positive would be having a larger piece in a pension there instead of 401k, but that's not enough to make me do a change.  But I could definitely see it from say, a fed employee that wants to raise their high 3 average near the end of a career, THAT would be a smart move.  Or if I was actually getting a big chunk of money to come there (say a 50% raise or something) that made all the money woes go away.

Yeah, I know I CAN live:
without a garage
without a yard
without having extra money after the mortgage is paid
having to do multiple room renovations

but at some point it becomes too many things against you.

Thanks a bunch for the thoughts, I will take them into account!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

TIA!

Updated if anyone cares ;)

So I went out there to look at homes/areas that could possibly be in my price range and I am not so high on things...not seeing a lot of positives other than the job.  Can I assume nearly all other goods and services are a little higher priced than other places too?  If anyone wants to convince me that its a good idea to move there, now is the time, but I'm not feeling it at the moment  Maybe if you had great weather, or a mountain range, or a beach right there? LOL

Thanks for all the help so far!
View Quote

Well the cool thing about living here is that the weather changes, the mountains and beach are only a couple hours away.  Schools are pretty decent if you have kids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top