Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2017 9:46:24 PM EDT
Just curious, we are moving at the end of April and those PODS storage units look like it would be useful...anyone use them before?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup, painless experience.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out either "Smart Box" or "Big Box." - same idea but a whole lot cheaper because the boxes are 3/4" plywood with a weatherproof cover.

They drop it off.  You fill it up.  They take it to their temp controlled wear house.

When you need it, they drop it off at your new place.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't used PODS specifically, but I used ABF upack relocubes (similar concept) on two moves and was pleased.

Whatever vendor you decide, I found moving with the cubes far easier and less painful than a big moving truck. I've done the big truck on cross county moves many times and its exhausting.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Smartbox.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like Smartbox.
View Quote
Yes - I think they bought out "Big Box."  

Funny:  I am a reloader and there is a weight-limit in the Smartbox contract for X- thousand lbs.

I did not have a scale big enough; I just loaded all my supplies, boxes of lead bullets, ammo, etc into the box

Guys showed up with a flat-bed and a 3-wheeled fork-lift.  When the driver tried to lift my box, the back wheels came off the ground!

Me and the other employee had to stand on the back of the forklift to get my box onto the truck!  They took it and delivered it without a complaint or any problem.

I got my money's worth, I think.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Brother used them when he moved. He lived in an apartment and he had to make sure there were two adjacent spots that were open so they could pull into one and drop the box off in the other. I think, and I'm not sure if all of them are like this, but the truck loaded and unloaded the container from the side.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The ReloCubes used a big ass fork lift on my moves. So the containers fit almost anywhere. They even jockeyed them into a narrow area in a storage unit complex for me so I could unload them easily with a hand truck. Not pimping that vendor, just saying what they used for equipment. Shop around.

I just told the driver "that's the heavy one" for my gear. That way he was able to position the heavy one where he wanted it on the trailer. Maybe I need more lead?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:15:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup, painless experience.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#9]
The only "bad" experience I had with PODS was when I tried to get a quote for one.

I wanted a quote to move one "POD" from an address in Virginia to an address in Florida. No storage, just pick it up and move it.

Well, that seemed too vague for the dude on the phone. He wanted to know how many rooms I was moving and why I didn't want two PODS and why I didn't want them to store it for any length of time. I told him again; "ONE POD, ONE WAY, ONE TIME, How much? He then told me that most people under estimate how much stuff they are trying to move and he is just trying to help. I then told him I would find somebody who wanted to quote me and hung up. For weeks after that, I was getting unsolicited offers from moving companies, truck rental places, moving supply stores and other POD-type services. I guess they sold my e-mail address to others in the industry.

We ended up renting a Ryder Truck.

If I had to do it again, I would go with SmartBox or ReloCube, both of whom I have heard good things about from people who have used them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top