Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2016 1:39:36 PM EDT
I have a Maryland HQL (handgun qualification licence) issued by the State of Maryland.  Is that good enough to show firearms competency for my application for an in-state VA CCW?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
what did you use for your firearms competency to get the HQL? Odds are, you can use the same thing in Va.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what did you use for your firearms competency to get the HQL? Odds are, you can use the same thing in Va.
View Quote

Hunter Safety training from 40 years ago in another state.  But MD didn't require documentation, just my word that I had taken it.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think that is going to cut it in Va.
You need something in writing, there are basic hunter safety courses to can take that will satisfy the states requirements.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#4]
You can probably get a reprint of you 40 year old hunter safety card.  I was amazed when Minnesota could bring up mine.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes it will work. I used it in FFX county to get my CCW many many years ago
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 11:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]
That's what I used.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#7]
From one Maryland escapee to the other three of you who made it out alive:

Greetings!

I am amazed and impressed that MD actually granted your permit applications.

OP - I used my NY state pistol training certification for VA back in 2000.  To no ones surprise, liberal Alexandria dragged it out to the 44th day.  But there was no question as to proof of training.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top