Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2016 3:44:07 PM EDT
For the last few years I've hunted in my back yard and just butchered my kills myself. I realized I was leaving too much meat behind and I felt bad. I want to take my next one to a butcher, but it is my understanding you need a tag in order to do so. So, where do you go about getting tags?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Found the answer online. Apparently, you can use the Virginia game and fishery app to call it in.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Use the telephone checking system.  Call 1-866-468-4263 to report your kill.  You'll need to provide your driver's license number and the last 4 of your SSN.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Suggest not posting that you killed deer and did not check them in and tag them.      You can download and print from vdgif a courtesy tag sheet and use it to tag and record the numbers for your deer bear and turkey.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Suggest not posting that you killed deer and did not check them in and tag them.      You can download and print from vdgif a courtesy tag sheet and use it to tag and record the numbers for your deer bear and turkey.
View Quote

Landowners don't need license or tags to hunt their own land.  They do, however, still have to comply with checking and bag limits.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#5]
The last time I bought a big game tag was in 2011. I still get a hunting licence and NF stamp because I go farther afield than my own land to squirrel hunt.

I'm in one of the counties that has a mandatory check for CWD on opening day. Of course the VDGIF in their infinite wisdom does not have a place to check them for CWD in my county so you have to drive about 40 miles to another county......And you better hope you get there before they close.

Now nobody around here checks their opening day deer till the next morning if they are having it processed.....If they even bother to check it at all if they work it up themselves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top