Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2016 1:44:48 PM EDT
Ok so I have a great job opportunity in Charlottesville. Company is located off Avon Dr near the outdoor concert area thing. Looking for suggestions on places to live near there. Need dog friendly and under 1500 ish a month. Willing to drive up to 45 minutes.

Also looking for a good FFL/a good range and recommendations on places to eat.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok so I have a great job opportunity in Charlottesville. Company is located off Avon Dr near the outdoor concert area thing. Looking for suggestions on places to live near there. Need dog friendly and under 1500 ish a month. Willing to drive up to 45 minutes.

Also looking for a good FFL/a good range and recommendations on places to eat.
View Quote

ETA - Sorry, misread your post.  My comments were more for someone moving from another state into the area.

My daughter lives there so we drive down from NOVA to visit.  College town (UVA) with loads of libs.  Lots of amenities for a smaller town, but traffic is getting worse.  Wineries in the area (including Trump's). Daughter sells new development homes and most of her communities are within 20-30 minutes from town so you may not have too bad a drive.  Can't comment on cost of living, but they seem a tad better than NOVA.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, cool. I've lived here for most of my 46 years. So the position is downtown near the Intelos Pavilion. The Downtown Mall area is a great place to work. Lots of restaurants and free concerts on friday evenings at the pavilion. My wife works downtown and my shop is 5 minutes away. We live in Fluvanna County, about 15 miles from town. My morning commute takes 17 minutes. . Are you looking for city living or country with acreage? You can find both. Cville population is only about 45K, most people commute in from outlying counties. The worst commute traffic will be toward the north on the Rt29 corridor. Headed east out of town on Rt250 would be next worse. That's only because there are only two river crossings to the east, Rt250 and I64. Housing and taxes can be a bit cheaper in Greene county or Orange County, Fluvanna is right at what it is in Albemarle and Cville. It just depends on what you're looking for. We are building a house now, 3 bedroom/2 1/2 bath with garage on 2 acres in Fluvanna for right at $200K. We could have bought same house for cheaper in a big HOA close by but didn't want that. Rent in Cville has risen quite a bit in the past 15 years but 1500 will find you something. Feel free to IM me for opinion on specific areas you may find. There is one public range outside town, Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club. I'm not a member but I hear good things about them. There are places an hour away in Richmond too. I think the area is a great place to live and raise a family. Loads of history, plenty of outdoor activities, relatively low crime, and lots of things to do and see for mom and dad to get away. PM me with any specific questions about anything.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The Rt 250 / i 64  interchange is a $#!+show.  Driving in to Charlottesville from the north on 29 is ok.  Yeah, traffic gets backed up, and you get left lane bandits, but it does move along OK.  I'd take 29 over 250/64 any day.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Rt 250 / i 64  interchange is a $#!+show.  Driving in to Charlottesville from the north on 29 is ok.  Yeah, traffic gets backed up, and you get left lane bandits, but it does move along OK.  I'd take 29 over 250/64 any day.
View Quote

I do like the new Rio/29 interchange. It's great except when I'm coming back from Sams and forget I need to take the exit ramp instead of turning at the light.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
here is one public range outside town, Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club. I'm not a member but I hear good things about them.
View Quote

Been a guest there several times. Very nice facility. I believe the range distances go up to 600 feet. Last I knew there was a waiting list; I was asked to join but it's too far a drive for me to make the cost worthwhile.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Been a guest there several times. Very nice facility. I believe the range distances go up to 600 feet. Last I knew there was a waiting list; I was asked to join but it's too far a drive for me to make the cost worthwhile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
here is one public range outside town, Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club. I'm not a member but I hear good things about them.

The Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Club (RRPC) is the only local range - it is a Private club that has open to the public, monthly matches (IDPA, NRA High Power Rifle, SASS Cowboy, NSSF Rimfire Steel, etc).

We have a indoor 25 Yd. pistol range - skeet, trap & wobble trap shotgun fields (shotgun fields open to the public every Sunday from 1:30pm-4:30pm)  - 50 Yd. "tactical range" - 100 Yd. rifle range - 50 Yd. bullseye pistol range - 50 Yd. "plinking" range - a new dedicated steel target pistol range - 300 Yd. rifle range - 3d archery & bullseye archery targets.

Membership is not closed, and you do not need a sponsor to join.  As always, if anyone wants a tour, I'd be happy to show them around. Dues are currently $100/year.

Have fun,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Club (RRPC) is the only local range - it is a Private club that has open to the public, monthly matches (IDPA, NRA High Power Rifle, SASS Cowboy, NSSF Rimfire Steel, etc).

We have a indoor 25 Yd. pistol range - skeet, trap & wobble trap shotgun fields (shotgun fields open to the public every Sunday from 1:30pm-4:30pm)  - 50 Yd. "tactical range" - 100 Yd. rifle range - 50 Yd. bullseye pistol range - 50 Yd. "plinking" range - a new dedicated steel target pistol range - 300 Yd. rifle range - 3d archery & bullseye archery targets.

Membership is not closed, and you do not need a sponsor to join.  As always, if anyone wants a tour, I'd be happy to show them around. Dues are currently $100/year.

Have fun,
Bob S.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun,
Bob S.

Bob, I will reach out once I get down there. I have my final interview tomorrow but this is pretty much in the bag. I'm looking forward to the range it sounds AWESOME>

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I live in Cville and pay 1300 for an apartment.

I'd look at Fluvanna or Green to live. You will get more bang for the buck.

As others said, RRPC is the top range around here.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bob, I will reach out once I get down there. I have my final interview tomorrow but this is pretty much in the bag. I'm looking forward to the range it sounds AWESOME>

Thanks
View Quote

Sounds good - just let me know when.

Have a great Thanksgiving,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm a Charlottesville resident, a member of Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Club, and have used Albemarle County Firearms for all my FFL needs.  There's a ton of good restaurants around here so I would definitely just use websites like Trip Advisor or Open Table to read reviews.  We've pretty much experienced all of the well known places around town, but my wife and I just recently discovered the Alley Light.  Great atmosphere and menu.  As far as finding a place to live...you will be able to find a place under $1500ish a month that is dog friendly.  When I first moved here and rented (2010) I paid $1250 a month for a townhouse in north Albemarle by Timberwood Grill.  It was a 3 bed / 3 bath, 2 story place.  No yard though and had to walk my dog to the common yard out front.  

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Many good suggestions above.  You may also want to take at look at Louisa County to the East for a rental.  Very similar to Fluvanna and Greene counties.

Route 22 and I64 traffic isn't all that bad during commute times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top