Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2016 10:23:40 AM EDT
I know there are some new laws on the books.  I would like to get a "can" for a rifle.  What is the process for going the "Trust" route or asking CLEO permission.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You no longer need CLEO permission, it is now CLEO notification.

I did my SBR and 2 cans before 41F took effect. I am hoping it all clears in the next few months.

Read this post from the NFA section, it should help you out. NFA section post
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
As noted above, there is no CLEO permission required anymore.  However, fingerprints and photos are needed.  If you have no intention of loaning the suppressor to anybody, filing as an individual may be better than a trust.  If filing with a trust, fingerprints and photos are required for all trustees (not for beneficiaries though).  The steps below are how we do it:

- Purchase the suppressor
- If close to Culpeper, come by the shop and we will take your prints and photos free of charge and file the form 4
- If you rather not drive to Culpeper, we will send the forms, fingerprint cards and instructions to you for completion and mailing to ATF.
- The hardest part: Waiting for approval

The process isn't too difficult, just more paperwork on our end.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]
A huge benefit of a trust at this point is if you die your family (those on the trust) aren't jumping through hoops to dispose of your NFA items in accordance with ATF requirements and timelines.

I downloaded a trust on the interwebs and have used it every time successfully.  I compared it to a member here who purchased one from a lawyer in VA and it's almost word for word identical.  It isn't magic.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A huge benefit of a trust at this point is if you die your family (those on the trust) aren't jumping through hoops to dispose of your NFA items in accordance with ATF requirements and timelines.

I downloaded a trust on the interwebs and have used it every time successfully.  I compared it to a member here who purchased one from a lawyer in VA and it's almost word for word identical.  It isn't magic.

Just a thought.
View Quote

Absolutely.  A trust is a great estate planning vehicle, no need to limit it to just NFA firearms.  If you don't go the trust route, the easiest way for estate planning is to have a Form 5 pre-filled with your heir's information, signed and kept with your other estate documents with instructions.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I got it now.  Appreciate the replies.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:26:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been waiting since February for my .22 can and April for my .30 can.

I got the call that the stamp for my .22 can is in and it's ready for pick up as of last Friday. 8 1/2 months.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 1:05:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've been waiting since February for my .22 can and April for my .30 can.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just a thought.
View Quote

Probably out of 'Poor's Standard Forms.'

They have them state by state for common things.

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Phase 1: Call John Pierce to setup trust - http://johnpierceesq.com/

Phase 2: Call/visit Hansohn Brothers to buy your can(s) - http://hansohnbrothers.com/

Phase 3: Profit

Good Luck with the wait!  My SPECWAR 762 took about eight months from the time they mailed the Form 4.  I'm hoping my Octane 45 is ready next month... Should be about eight months for that one too - I hope!
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Phase 2: Call/visit Hansohn Brothers to buy your can(s) - http://hansohnbrothers.com/

View Quote

This is how I did it, in that order.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the support!  As an aside, our Black Friday sale starts tonight.  15% off everything with coupon code BF16.  Sale ends Monday 11:59pm.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too lol
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As noted above, there is no CLEO permission required anymore.  However, fingerprints and photos are needed.  If you have no intention of loaning the suppressor to anybody, filing as an individual may be better than a trust.  If filing with a trust, fingerprints and photos are required for all trustees (not for beneficiaries though).  The steps below are how we do it:

- If close to Culpeper, come by the shop and we will take your prints and photos free of charge and file the form 4
- If you rather not drive to Culpeper, we will send the forms, fingerprint cards and instructions to you for completion and mailing to ATF.

View Quote

With that being said about the trust, if you already have one, can you still file as an individual to alleviate the additional fingerprints and photos of the trustees?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

With that being said about the trust, if you already have one, can you still file as an individual to alleviate the additional fingerprints and photos of the trustees?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  If it's just you, then only you need to be fingerprinted and photographed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yes.  If it's just you, then only you need to be fingerprinted and photographed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But then the item wouldn't be accessible to those trustees, correct?  And it would cost $200 to transfer from the individual to the trust?

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But then the item wouldn't be accessible to those trustees, correct?  And it would cost $200 to transfer from the individual to the trust?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct on all points.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Correct on all points.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct on all points.

So, for those that went the trust route to avoid the CLEO BS it's not a big deal to purchase as an individual.  But it's not the best option for those of us that went the trust route for the estate planning or other issues like needing to keep the NFA items with a trustee while you're out of the country or transferred into enemy territory for work.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So, for those that went the trust route to avoid the CLEO BS it's not a big deal to purchase as an individual.  But it's not the best option for those of us that went the trust route for the estate planning or other issues like needing to keep the NFA items with a trustee while you're out of the country or transferred into enemy territory for work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct on all points.

A trust is still a great estate planning vehicle, it just adds more paperwork than the individual route.  However, if filed as an individual and you travel a lot, I recommend a bank box or trusted friend to leave the cans with.  Totally legal.

Neither is the wrong answer.

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good Luck with the wait!  My SPECWAR 762 took about eight months from the time they mailed the Form 4.  I'm hoping my Octane 45 is ready next month... Should be about eight months for that one too - I hope!
View Quote

I just talked to this guy on Monday. It's $100 to set up the trust. You can set it up by phone or online and he will have it done in about 48 hrs.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I just talked to this guy on Monday. It's $100 to set up the trust. You can set it up by phone or online and he will have it done in about 48 hrs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

John is great to work with. I got mine setup fast and he told me to contact him when i went to submit my eform. We setup a date and time and he made sure i submitted it correctly. All I have to do is contact him anytime I add anything to the trust and he will update it and e-mail me the updated asset page.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Or you can just wait a couple of months for the Hearing Protection Act to pass through the new administration, not have to deal with the red tape, tax, and it just might be quicker than waiting on the ATF to approve your forum.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Or you can just wait a couple of months for the Hearing Protection Act to pass through the new administration, not have to deal with the red tape, tax, and it just might be quicker than waiting on the ATF to approve your forum.
View Quote

I think a few months is very wishful thinking on the HPA.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#23]
When HPA is passed, there will be a mad rush to buy like we’ve never seen before.  I suspect every dealer and distributor to be sold out within days of the bill’s passage.

Consider most manufacturers are just now catching up to the 41F rush and some still aren’t caught up.

If you buy now, you will be ahead of everybody else.  At the start date of the HPA, just pick-up the cans you have pending and cancel the form 4 for refund.  Of course, this depends on the final text of the law.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for the support!  As an aside, our Black Friday sale starts tonight.  15% off everything with coupon code BF16.  Sale ends Monday 11:59pm.
View Quote

Oh man. I wish I had read that before I placed my order. Good deal.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM me your order number please.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I think it's likely it will pass (60/40 in my opinion), but I don't see it being done in a "couple of months".  I'm pessimistic - I'd be shocked if they get around to it within the first two years.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Took my new SPECWAR 762 out for a spin this weekend...  Ran a few mags of 220gr 300BLK through it.

WOW

That eight month wait sure was worth it.  

Thanks again Ray!  See you in a few weeks to pickup my Octane 45.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top