Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2016 5:02:32 PM EDT

The idiots at Reston Town Center are going to start charging to park come Jan ($2/hr, so no thanks after $10 in tolls to get there)

But demanding parking head in, what legal weight do they have to enforce that?

I can't find it in VA code or FFX code.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Their lot their rules?

I'm exercising the corollary - My money my rules.  Won't be patronizing anything at RTC going forward.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Their lot their rules?

I'm exercising the corollary - My money my rules.  Won't be patronizing anything at RTC going forward.  
View Quote

Still has to have some statute behind it to immobilize a vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#3]
The signs were misprinted. They were supposed to say head in butt parking only.

No way will I visit RTC any more and I work right next door in Herndon.

Stupid Boston Properties.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#4]
well, head in the travel lanes holds up traffic.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Their lot their rules?

View Quote

Private property, their rules.

Yep will avoid rtc due to apps.  if I have to park, ok with ticket and gates or kiosks like metro stations.  Not a big fan of registering my cars and license plates with them and an app that wants rights on my phone.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their lot their rules?

Nope.

Park on their lot and do anything they do not like and you can get da' boot.
And be charged to remove it.

What don't you understand about 'private property'?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep will avoid rtc due to apps.  if I have to park, ok with ticket and gates or kiosks like metro stations.  Not a big fan of registering my cars and license plates with them and an app that wants rights on my phone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their lot their rules?

Rights to my phone?
Nopes....
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 1:31:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nope.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their lot their rules?

Nope.

It is cute and naive you think that, but Private property is not an open book to do as you please.

Statutes govern what and how parking is handled on private property. Seems like section 82-5-32 but unsure if it covers how you park.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 1:36:46 AM EDT
[#9]
And according to Fairfax code, the sign holds no weight as it isn't 18" height by 12" width minimum. Oops.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And according to Fairfax code, the sign holds no weight as it isn't 18" height by 12" width minimum. Oops.
View Quote

Park backed in, if they tow or boot you sue them and let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#11]
License plate scanners are useless on vehicles from rear-plate=only states when backed in against a barrier.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
License plate scanners are useless on vehicles from rear-plate=only states when backed in against a barrier.
View Quote

Plates are scanned during entry and exit as part of the payment processing.   Toll road also scans plates and sends you a bill of your ezpass doesn't work or missing.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nor does it have the required red reflective lettering OR the required "If towed call" number.

They are still going to tow your ass though in hope you don't dispute it.

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It is cute and naive you think that, but Private property is not an open book to do as you please.

Statutes govern what and how parking is handled on private property. Seems like section 82-5-32 but unsure if it covers how you park.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their lot their rules?

Nope.

Bad reference.

Not unexpected though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Code of Virginia § 46.2-1231, and specific signage requirements can be set by city/county ordinance, see § 46.2-1232.

The pertinent part of the code section:

The owner, operator, or lessee of any parking lot, parking area, or parking space in a parking lot or area or any part of a parking lot or area, or ofany other lot or building, including any county, city, or town, or authorized agent of the person having control of such premises may have any vehicle occupying the lot, area, space, or building without the permission of its owner, operator, lessee, or authorized agent of the one having the control of the premises, removed by towing or otherwise to a licensed garage for storage until called for by the owner or his agent if there are posted at all entrances to the parking lot or area signs clearly and conspicuously disclosing that such vehicle, if parked without permission, will be removed,towed, or immobilized. Code of Virginia § 46.2-1231 (2006).

Later in the code section, it authorizes boots as well.

I highlighted in blue the most pertinent part: permission. You must park according to their demands, or you do not have permission to park there. Following their rules becomes a condition precedent of their permission. Don't follow their rules, you don't have permission. Without permission, they may tow or immobilize you.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#16]
The worst I ever encountered was at the Hoffman building in Alexandria. Used to have to go there a lot to see some military clients. Owner of the building also owned a tow company.  they would actually cruise the lots looking for people. I always worried that I'd get nabbed in the time it took to get into the lobby, get my visitor parking pass, and get it back to the car.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#17]
NoVA parking lot lawyers.....LOL.

You want to park you have to pay and park they way they specify.....Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Can't wait for this to bite RTC right in the ass.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#19]
A buddy at my old hs drove over a boot with a lifted truck until it snapped, then carried it in and left it on the principles desk.

Another guy I used to drink with would troll down town and squeeze a entire tube of super glue in ever boot lock that he could find
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here is the reason.  Easy to check with a drive/walk by scanner.  Cars left over night in the lot probably have their tag info dumped every 24 hours.  Storing plate info is a big no no.  David
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I will be avoiding RTC completely.  Problem solved!
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Here is the reason.  Easy to check with a drive/walk by scanner.  Cars left over night in the lot probably have their tag info dumped every 24 hours.  Storing plate info is a big no no.  David
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cite the law that does not allow a PRIVATE lot to store tag data.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Code of Virginia § 46.2-1231, and specific signage requirements can be set by city/county ordinance, see § 46.2-1232.

The pertinent part of the code section:

The owner, operator, or lessee of any parking lot, parking area, or parking space in a parking lot or area or any part of a parking lot or area, or ofany other lot or building, including any county, city, or town, or authorized agent of the person having control of such premises may have any vehicle occupying the lot, area, space, or building without the permission of its owner, operator, lessee, or authorized agent of the one having the control of the premises, removed by towing or otherwise to a licensed garage for storage until called for by the owner or his agent if there are posted at all entrances to the parking lot or area signs clearly and conspicuously disclosing that such vehicle, if parked without permission, will be removed,towed, or immobilized.  Code of Virginia § 46.2-1231 (2006).

Later in the code section, it authorizes boots as well.

I highlighted in blue the most pertinent part: permission. You must park according to their demands, or you do not have permission to park there. Following their rules becomes a condition precedent of their permission. Don't follow their rules, you don't have permission. Without permission, they may tow or immobilize you.
View Quote

Thanks for the real answer compared to blow hards who lack the ability to understand law.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top