Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2016 3:44:30 PM EDT
I own 15 acres in Frederick County and am wanting to build a covered shooting bench with a concrete floor that overlooks my animal pasture and would allow me to range targets out to 300 yards.  I'd also like to then build a second 25 yard pistol range which will need a berm behind it to prevent the rounds from crossing into my neighbors property.  The later would be a more permanent involved structure.

Looking into the code of Frederick County it states:
165-204.15 Shooting ranges, outdoor.
Outdoor shooting ranges shall be allowed only with a conditional use permit. Where outdoor shooting ranges are allowed, zoning district separation buffers and screens, Category C as described by this chapter, shall be provided in relation to surrounding properties containing residential uses. In no case shall a shooting range be located within 1,000 feet of any residence located on surrounding parcels of land. Application for a conditional use permit shall include plans for appropriate site layout and design to protect the safety of the public. Such plans shall include berms and other protective features. All outdoor shooting ranges shall be supervised at all times by qualified personnel.
View Quote

Conditional use permit to shoot on your own land?  The 1000 foot residential offset is ridiculous and greater than my 300 yard course and width of my land alone.  Would one think this only applies to commercial applications?  To me this law is silly, it's like if you walk out onto your land and throw some metal targets into the ground, you're good to go, but then the second you make it more safe by throwing up a berm, you've now created an outdoor shooting range and need 50+ acres to meet 1000 foot set backs, and then pay fees to the man.  

How does this read to you guys?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
After talking to a lawyer friend of mine, it appears it only applies for commercial use because it's under special use permits for zoning.  Example he used was the provision on kennels under the same chapter wouldn't apply to doghouses for my two dogs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If you need help there are plenty of locals willing to set up a working party/ meet and greet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup commercial requirements.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yup commercial requirements.
View Quote
Good luck and let us know if you need help breaking it in. ;)
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as you are 100yards or more away from a dwelling and 50yards from state maintained highway, you will be fine .

BTW, I've always wanted to do this.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

As long as you are 100yards or more away from a dwelling and 50yards from state maintained highway, you will be fine .

View Quote

Bring it up at the next HOA meeting...  LOL

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:36:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can you link to the 100y offset requirement?  I wanted to place the pistol range right next to my hippy neighbors house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top