Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2016 4:04:02 PM EDT
So we've rented out a winery Saturday night, got a band, delicious food and everything seemed to fall into place.......except the beer license that the winery said they would cover.  It's too late to get an event license, so what are the options?  Invite someone with a beer license? If so, how would I find them?  It may not be 1920s derp, but our alcohol laws are still retarded.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Call a local micro-brewery. You may be able to solve this problem and meet some great local beer folks at the same time. I don't know what part of the state you are in, but in NoVa there are any number of small breweries I would call - starting with Mustang Sally.

-shooter
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  That is exactly what I'm doing this evening. Sampling a few brews and chatting up with the local beer folks.  Need a beer licensee in Culpeper.  I'm smoking 100lbs of pork tomorrow, have good brew, fine maidens and song and dance to honor the noble beer grantee.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
We did the same thing for our wedding. It did take about ten days to get the license.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.  That is exactly what I'm doing this evening. Sampling a few brews and chatting up with the local beer folks.  Need a beer licensee in Culpeper.  I'm smoking 100lbs of pork tomorrow, have good brew, fine maidens and song and dance to honor the noble beer grantee.
View Quote

Fahr Gohn or Beer Hound.  So... where is this party happening?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:38:34 AM EDT
[#5]
There may be person attending that already has the license, but regardless we are having beer!

Found this on the ABC website:  

If ALL of the following criteria are met for the event, then no license is needed (unless required by locality or facility).

The event is private (i.e., not open to the public and not in a public place)
   Money is not exchanged for alcohol or otherwise
   The event is not held on a club or non-licensed restaurant premises
   Alcohol purchased for the event is NOT from a wholesaler/distributor

All apply.  I just wish a co-planner had not been so quick to talk with the ABC.  They were trying to work some way of us running all over VA today so we could get the license and now I'm explaining to them why we will not be pursing it.  I figure if ABC shows up in typical fashion it will be newsworthy entertainment and I'll have beer $ for life. Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must maintain OPSEC or the ABC exemption may not apply.

I much prefer Fahr Gohn.  I'm told there is a new brewery North of town on Ailanthus Rd.  Know anything of this?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I much prefer Fahr Gohn.  I'm told there is a new brewery North of town on Ailanthus Rd.  Know anything of this?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too prefer Fahr Gohn.  Haven't heard of the brewery north of town.  I know there is one coming to Madison though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I too prefer Fahr Gohn.  Haven't heard of the brewery north of town.  I know there is one coming to Madison though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I may support Bald Top Brewing (Madison), I grow hops.  Any Arfcommers want some free Cascade hops let me know.

Update:  ABC agreed in email with my position, so I'd say there is an 87% chance there will be no raid
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#9]
When I got married, the owner of the bnb pulled a fast one and wanted to make sure we got an ABC license almost exactly a week out. We ended up  getting it the day before our wedding.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#10]
VA ABC laws are asinine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When I got married, the owner of the bnb pulled a fast one and wanted to make sure we got an ABC license almost exactly a week out. We ended up  getting it the day before our wedding.
View Quote

Wow, that was a horrible thing for the BNB to do.  The establishment has every right to require the banquet license even if the exemption applies, but why?  The winery did not require this license.  Weird that a banquet license seemingly can serve any type of alcohol, but the winery's license only covers wine and cider.  The take away, I found is that many private functions do not need the banquet license however, the ABC and likely the facility will likely push for it, probably b/c they do not know the law.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
VA ABC laws are asinine.
View Quote

Yep, ABC wanted me to run to Cville to fast track this license.....which just shows that they could actually turn around a license in a day or so, but protocol is ~ 10days.   When I informed them I wasn't getting the license they politely pushed back until I sent them Virginia's definition of public place.  After due diligence, it's ok to tell the man, no .....a few ABC folks learned something from this too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top