Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/11/2016 5:52:40 PM EDT
Possibly getting a job in the DC area. I own guns so obviously DC and MD are out. Looking at living in NOVA but rent is expensive as hell. What are my cheaper options? Anyone know of any honey holes or reasonable (under 1200 a month) apartment complexes near the Metro?...Or not near the metro is fine too
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck.

I had a 2br (1000sf) apartment walking distance to the VRE train station in Manassas Park and the rent was $1850/month.
That's a 1hr train ride to Union Station.
I know of a person with an 1 BR apartment in Leesburg for $1200/month
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You will need to go about 50 miles south or west if you want anything under $1200. Plus your commute will be horrible.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Realistically, if you need to be near the metro at that price point, you're going to be renting a room in a group house.  

If you're looking for your own place close in, Columbia Pike in Arlington has a bunch of new apartments that came on line recently and need to fill units.  You may be able to find some deals.  It's not directly metro accessible, but it does have good bus service downtown and back.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 5:05:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in the Fredericksburg area and work in Arlington.  I take the VRE up into the DC area.  It's a quiet comfortable ride and I usually manage to get some sleep.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]
In the price range you can find some decent apartments in a house (basements usually) that are close-in and in a nice neighborhood.  Group house can be a good option with decent room mates.  

Inside or near the Beltway places around Annandale, Springfield, and Alexandria can be cheaper.  You can try looking south of Merrifield, and along Rt. 1 in Alexandria down to Mount Vernon and also in Franconia.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone have any links or resources that Im not finding? Again under $1200 is preferable. I have a dog and I have guns. So MD and DC are out of the picture.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#8]
About 5 years ago I sold my townhouse and moved into an apartment for a few months until my new house was ready. I was paying about $1800 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment in Centreville. It was not the nicest complex but it was not the worst either. I was paying a little extra because I had a month to month lease but I recall $1800 was about the going rate for some of the better complexes in Centreville area for a 1 year lease.

I know this does not help you but maybe it could give you some perspective on the housing situation in the area.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Without knowing so specifics on each ad, prices are reasonable for the area.  Kid just in on a 4 bedroom house in Arlington, ~$1000 a month for 4 people.  Other kids is ~#$1300 for two bedroom apartment by Dulles town centre.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Without knowing so specifics on each ad, prices are reasonable for the area.  Kid just in on a 4 bedroom house in Arlington, ~$1000 a month for 4 people.  Other kids is ~#$1300 for two bedroom apartment by Dulles town centre.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Geez. How the hell is someone supposed to make a living when they have a 60k a year government job and student loans? Fuck me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Commute.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Geez. How the hell is someone supposed to make a living when they have a 60k a year government job and student loans? Fuck me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$60k in the DC area isn't going to take you very far. If you live farther out you will spend a lot of time commuting. You have some tough choices coming about where you want your time/money to go.

The good news is you will get promoted relatively quickly (though those promotions won't come with huge money).

-shooter
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't take the job. Stay the fuck away from NOVA/DC. Texas is much better even if you make less money.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Don't take the job. Stay the fuck away from NOVA/DC. Texas is much better even if you make less money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not an option. I want this job. I have worked and struggled for this job. I can make it work and there is a way to make it work, but one has to put in the time and find all the resources.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not an option. I want this job. I have worked and struggled for this job. I can make it work and there is a way to make it work, but one has to put in the time and find all the resources.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the $60k include your locality pay?  Because Gov jobs include an additional 20% (something like that) locality pay.  

Your right, you'll need to do a lot of research and make a lot of concessions, but it can be done.  As a single guy about 18 years back, I lived in Centreville (nice, quite suburb here in NOVA) in a very nice apartment complex.  I just checked, a 1 BR with a large living room and separate dining room is still $1300 there.  I also had a fairly new $20k car and commuted to Tysons Corner making only $49k.  I didn't eat out much, I didn't go to clubs, and I didn't have any student loans, but I never felt "poor" or "broke".  I had DirecTV with the NFL Sunday Ticket and simply enjoyed the life of a bachelor.  

If you're making $11k more than I did, and are looking to spend about the amount I did, you should be able to find a nice place and still pay student loans.  Centreville to the Vienna metro isn't far at all (9.8 miles, exactly, from the apartment complex to the lot).

You've got options.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Listen to Bulldog and Oliver's.  I've met both these men and their advice is as solid as it comes.

RE: metro:  as a Fed, you should be eligible for a .gov metro subsidy to cover commuting by metro; my wife got it for years and even had left over fair cards (we just traded the last ones in for SmartCards before the recent deadline).

But also consider that Metro is once again dangerous - as are many parts of DC; crime is on the increase after years of decreases (thanks Obama! ).

I lived on your salary in Old Town Alexandria around Y2K; the efficiency was a nearly windowless crap-hole, but the area was very safe and rent started at $650 back then.  There are deals out there.

Find a 1 year lease and try the area; then re-evaluate.  

I stayed, and over the years, along came a marriage, kids, and a house in McLean - all made easier with the promotions I've worked hard for.  It's all possible in NOVA with a little luck and hard work.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Have you learned about our wonderful personal property taxes.  You have to pay these on everything you own that requires a DMV plate.  Just something to keep in mind for your budget.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Listen to Bulldog and Oliver's.  I've met both these men and their advice is as solid as it comes.

RE: metro:  as a Fed, you should be eligible for a .gov metro subsidy to cover commuting by metro; my wife got it for years and even had left over fair cards (we just traded the last ones in for SmartCards before the recent deadline).

But also consider that Metro is once again dangerous - as are many parts of DC; crime is on the increase after years of decreases (thanks Obama! ).

I lived on your salary in Old Town Alexandria around Y2K; the efficiency was a nearly windowless crap-hole, but the area was very safe and rent started at $650 back then.  There are deals out there.

Find a 1 year lease and try the area; then re-evaluate.  

I stayed, and over the years, along came a marriage, kids, and a house in McLean - all made easier with the promotions I've worked hard for.  It's all possible in NOVA with a little luck and hard work.
View Quote

Thanks for the solid advice.

I currently make 62k, with a promotion to 67k, but I hate my job. And in the industry I work in I dont pay into SS, I pay into a different retirement which is WAY more, so I am getting fucked on taxes as it is. I will probably significantly reduce my 401k/ROTH IRA contributions for the next few years - I have more money in my account that most people my age.

I have quite a bit of payments, I have a new truck and I took out a private loan at 2% interest to pay off half my student loans, and that loan in turn must be paid off in the next 4 years.

All in all the bulk of my debt is front loaded - I have it on a plan to be paid off half way in the next 4 years, and debt free in 8-9, which is really aggressive, but Im optimistic. I just know I need to be frugal and find the better deals.

Im still in the hiring process and a formal offer has not been made yet, but I have been given a very optimistic outlook. In the application I requested to be located in TX and a minimum salary of 60k. They said they cant get me to Texas (Of which I said was fine) but they didn't say anything about pay.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Commute.
View Quote

This is what I have done since '93...
Up and down 95. It sucks...you trade time in your car for affordable housing..
Welcome to the nexus of all hatred and discontent.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Look to rent someones condo.

You can find a lot cheaper than an apartment.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Commute.

I really hate the idea of commuting an hour.

Im starting to find some pockets where rent is $1050-1200 in the Alexandria area. Ive also considered getting a 2-3 bedroom for $1600-$1800 and splitting it with 2-3 people.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Im starting to find some pockets where rent is $1050-1200 in the Alexandria area. Ive also considered getting a 2-3 bedroom for $1600-$1800 and splitting it with 2-3 people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Commute.

Don't worry, it won't be an hour commute. More like a two hour commute. Have you ever been to DC ?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Commute.

A LOT of people do that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Point of clarification on the commute times.  If you leave early in the morning you can sometimes beat the rush into DC.  For some reason you really can't beat the rush home.

Metro is undergoing "safe track" work which means sections of the metro could be closed for 5-10 business days.  Metro says they have bus bridges but if at all possible, bypass the section being worked!  I think the safe track is scheduled to end in early 2017 but I expect there will be more later on in the year.  Metro really has let maintenance go the last few decades.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#25]
If you could set your hours like 6-3 then you maybe could be some of the traffic.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#26]
60K in NOVA is nothing.  Having a dog without a yard sucks.  Shooting opportunities are nothing like TX.  Traffic really really sucks if you have a conventional schedule.  Placing that much of lifestyle change and making no $ is an important decision, but yes you are an area for career growth if you know what you are doing.   I would look hard at the house/multi roomie venue and hope for the right situation.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#27]
NoVa sucks.

Thats all I have to add.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Don't worry, it won't be an hour commute. More like a two hour commute. Have you ever been to DC ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Commute.

I have, I had a situation where my apartment was covered and I was living in Crystal City commuting the metro to work on the Hill. But that was a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
60K in NOVA is nothing.  Having a dog without a yard sucks.  Shooting opportunities are nothing like TX.  Traffic really really sucks if you have a conventional schedule.  Placing that much of lifestyle change and making no $ is an important decision, but yes you are an area for career growth if you know what you are doing.   I would look hard at the house/multi roomie venue and hope for the right situation.  Good luck!
View Quote

Yea I've got that vibe. Im .mil too so I know how to endure the suck. Theres light at the end of the tunnel, but I've got to get there. And I have a feeling the steps will increase. I haven't started negotiating salary yet, but I am fairly comfortable saying 60k is about the lowest they're going to offer.

I could live much more affordably in MD, but I'd have to go without my guns. That would be rough. I dont mind living in a shithole. I mind living unarmed in a shithole.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Try running the criteria through Zillow, report back on places you think might work -- and we can give you the lowdown on the area.

There are quite a few rooms for rent between $800 - $1200.

Also, a mortgage on a $193,000 condo is about $675/month.

Check out this address, and see if you can find it's listing for sale:
7014 Ellingham Cir # 36, Alexandria, VA 22315

Starting point.  Also you can probably get a VA loan, right?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#31]
You can find plenty of PG County type shitholes in Fairfax County, and keep your guns close by in a quality safe.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Try running the criteria through Zillow, report back on places you think might work -- and we can give you the lowdown on the area.

There are quite a few rooms for rent between $800 - $1200.

Also, a mortgage on a $193,000 condo is about $675/month.

Check out this address, and see if you can find it's listing for sale:
7014 Ellingham Cir # 36, Alexandria, VA 22315

Starting point.  Also you can probably get a VA loan, right?
View Quote

Thats a solid point. Ill check that address out.

All my time is guard time with a few activations for training and some state missions. I qualify for VA loans in March. Thats already been on my radar. I like the condo idea, sort of. The dogs make it tough.

Currently I have a redbone coonhound and she is about 8 or 9. She's getting a bit old. The other dog is a GSD, she has lived in apartments/duplexes before and she does well, I just have to make sure I take her out and run with her.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You can find plenty of PG County type shitholes in Fairfax County, and keep your guns close by in a quality safe.
View Quote

Yeah I already have a safe. Probably going to need to end up getting a bigger one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm assuming you're coming on as a GS11 step 1, if so the $60k+ includes the locality pay.
Was there promotion potential to GS12 in the position description? Because that's a lot more comfortable.
Also, it would be good to know how quickly people step in in your job.
Where I'm at, as long as you do ok, you get your grade and step promotions as quick as possible.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm assuming you're coming on as a GS11 step 1, if so the $60k+ includes the locality pay.
Was there promotion potential to GS12 in the position description? Because that's a lot more comfortable.
Where I'm at, as long as you do ok, you get your grade and step promotions as quick as possible.
View Quote

Im not familiar with the step process at all. And the posting was for GS 7/9 but they started talking to me about multiple spots they want to fit me in, so Im not sure anything pay wise is set in stone. But I am about 70% sure 60k or so is modest starting expectation.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Im not familiar with the step process at all. And the posting was for GS 7/9 but they started talking to me about multiple spots they want to fit me in, so Im not sure anything pay wise is set in stone. But I am about 70% sure 60k or so is modest starting expectation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steps are between (as in smaller) than GS levels.

There are multiple places to view a GS pay-scale.
Each row is usually a GS grade and columns are the steps.

There are other scales besides the plain GS one.

Without the huge retirement benefits it is not as lucrative as it used to be.

Northern Virginia (AKA 'NoVA') is painfully expensive living.

Being a roommate in a shared SF house is a common starting point unless you have a 'professional' level degree (more than a BA).

Even the engineering scale is rather lame without a lot of experience.
And then the rigid structure of you MUST be a higher grade than subordinates plays havoc.

I worked as an advanced degree engineering contractor in the black (classified) world for ~35+ years.
Very black electrical engineer.

Even 'admins' get payed more in the black world.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Northern Virginia (AKA '''''''''''''''''''VA') is painfully expensive living.

Being a roommate in a shared SF house is a common starting point unless you have a 'professional' level degree (more than a BA).

And then the rigid structure of you MUST be a higher grade than subordinates plays havoc.

I worked as an advanced degree engineering contractor in the black (classified) world for ~35+ years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have to start at Step 1 of your grade series or can you start off on like Step 5 of GS-9? Or would I have to start at Step 1?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Do you have to start at Step 1 of your grade series or can you start off on like Step 5 of GS-9? Or would I have to start at Step 1?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did the job posting say?

What did the offer say?

Sometimes they can negotiate a few steps.

If it just says GSX it will be step 1.

Start hitting the net and looking around at whatever title they advertised or offered.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What did the offer say?

Start hitting the net and looking around at whatever title they advertised or offered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did the offer say?

It was advertise as a GS-7/9 job with a pay from about 48k-69k. I put in the app that my minimum salary would be 60k, they took no contention during the interview. They did talk about my willingness to travel, I put 100%, and that I wanted to be located in Texas (Knew it wasn't gonna happen) and they said its in DC and I was like "Yea NP there."
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#40]

What agency?  A 7/9 in DC sucks...  Glad we're out in Herndon - with me living in Winchester LOL.  I couldn't stomach paying 2x as much for the same exact house.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:06:16 AM EDT
[#41]
The good thing is once youre in the system, youre in. Do a year as a 9, then apply for 9/11/12 positions, etc. You can fast track very quickly in the DC area and hit 13 within a few years. Do your high three, and then get the fuck out and look for greener pastures back wherever you want to be (TX). In my opinion, because of the way retirement in the Feds is panning out, don't be a company man and just promote as quickly as you can. There's a lot of agencies to hop around in.
I still don't understand why Houstons locality pay is higher than DC. Like serious wtf..... That needs some serious correction.
Also, are you IT or cyber? OPM is rolling out bonuses for 2210s in infosec due to retention issues. Be on the lookout for that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Urban legend is that the Houston COLA is so high because they had to convince NASA employees to move there...  They wouldn't do it otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I wont say who its with, only that there is endless potential, and I feel secure in the department/agency. I may/may not stay long term in the agency, I may move around departments or around on the hill though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#44]
NOVA will kill you...

Its your fucking funeral.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I have lived in NoVa all but a few years since 1992. I left for grad school in WV for 2 years, and FL for 1 year. I also lived in Annapolis for 2 years.

If my wife and I could find reasonable jobs in our fields somewhere else, there is precisely zero percent chance I would be here. And we have it better than many. When we were starting out, $60k would have gone a long ways (we started our first professional jobs making in the 20s). Now, 60k is not much of a start.

-shooter
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
NOVA will kill you...

View Quote

Agreed!  The worst years of my life were in NOVA/DC.  All my NOVA folks always come to my place, b/c they too know it sucks ass.  If I were OP I'd live happy, no way GS7 there would have ever been a consideration.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Agreed!  The worst years of my life were in NOVA/DC.  All my NOVA folks always come to my place, b/c they too know it sucks ass.  If I were OP I'd live happy, no way GS7 there would have ever been a consideration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NOVA will kill you...

I appreciate the encouragement. Things are still in the air, but I promise you its better than what Im doing now. I used to live in Crystal City, and like a I said at that time my internship provided free housing. I really enjoyed living/working in the DC area. It likely wont be for the rest of my life, but this is the job that will move my career from one field into the another in an industry I really want to be in. This is an excellent opportunity I cannot pass, even if the starting pay blows.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I appreciate the encouragement. Things are still in the air, but I promise you its better than what Im doing now. I used to live in Crystal City, and like a I said at that time my internship provided free housing. I really enjoyed living/working in the DC area. It likely wont be for the rest of my life, but this is the job that will move my career from one field into the another in an industry I really want to be in. This is an excellent opportunity I cannot pass, even if the starting pay blows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOVA will kill you...

Damn. Reading through this thread makes me think I am doing something wrong enjoying my life in NoVA. I am fairly young, made less than half what OP is talking about when I got here less than ten years ago, and have loved the area. I am from rural Missouri and completely get the freedom of what that is, but life here is really good.

Are there things to hate (traffic, PC BS, rent)? Yes. The career opportunities are great though, and you can make of the area what you will.  The food is great (finally), the Nats are good, the Redskins are....the Redskins, and the beer scene is amazing.

OP, if the job makes sense, and you already know the area I say go for it. Seems you've already come to that decision, so I wish you the best. The only suggestion for housing I will give you is Colonial Village in Courthouse. I've known some people that have lived there and they have been happy. Plus, it is super dog friendly (the apartment and the area). Just googled a 600 sq. ft. studio there for $1600 with parking. A bit above what you mentioned, but your commute would be nothing compared to Chantilly or something, and you could enjoy a bit more of life with friends and your dogs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Damn. Reading through this thread makes me think I am doing something wrong enjoying my life in NoVA. I am fairly young, made less than half what OP is talking about when I got here less than ten years ago, and have loved the area. I am from rural Missouri and completely get the freedom of what that is, but life here is really good.

Are there things to hate (traffic, PC BS, rent)? Yes. The career opportunities are great though, and you can make of the area what you will.  The food is great (finally), the Nats are good, the Redskins are....the Redskins, and the beer scene is amazing.

OP, if the job makes sense, and you already know the area I say go for it. Seems you've already come to that decision, so I wish you the best. The only suggestion for housing I will give you is Colonial Village in Courthouse. I've known some people that have lived there and they have been happy. Plus, it is super dog friendly (the apartment and the area). Just googled a 600 sq. ft. studio there for $1600 with parking. A bit above what you mentioned, but your commute would be nothing compared to Chantilly or something, and you could enjoy a bit more of life with friends and your dogs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NOVA will kill you...

Can you link me? I tried to google but no good website is coming up, just apartment guides and zillow.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#50]
IM sent
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top