Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2016 3:50:38 PM EDT
I read the law, and it seems it's good to go statewide, but may be illegal in certain localities.

Is that right?

I was thinking of keeping a beater AR in the tool box of my truck, mostly for emergency range sessions.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I read the law, and it seems it's good to go statewide, but may be illegal in certain localities.

Is that right?

I was thinking of keeping a beater AR in the tool box of my truck, mostly for emergency range sessions.
View Quote

I don't believe localities can preempt state law, and I'm certain there isn't any restriction on mag limits if you have a CCW.  I *DO* believe there is a loaded gun law during hunting seasons, but I think that concerns a round in the chamber vs. simply a magazine inserted.

I'm sure someone can post the actual link to the law(s).
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's what I found from VSP:

§ 15.2-915.2.  This section empowers the governing body of any county or city to, by ordinance, make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Game wardens, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce theprovisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect. The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Keyword is "loaded"
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keyword is "loaded"
View Quote

Mag out, but could be in same bag?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Keyword is "loaded"

The only definition of "loaded" firearm I've been able to find is under the administrative code and is in regards to hunting so not might even apply to lawful non hunting purposes.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+4VAC15-40-60

H. Meaning of "possession" of bow, crossbow,
or firearm and definition of "loaded  crossbow" and
"loaded firearm." For the purpose of this section, the word
"possession" shall include, but not be limited to, having any bow,
crossbow, or firearm in or on one's person, vehicle or conveyance. For the
purpose of this section, a "loaded  firearm" shall
be defined as a firearm in which ammunition is chambered or loaded in the
magazine or clip when such magazine or clip is  engaged or
partially engaged in a firearm
. The definition of a loaded muzzleloading
firearm will include a  muzzleloading firearm that
is capped, or has a charged pan, or has a primer or battery installed
in the firearm. The definition of a "loaded crossbow" is a crossbow
that is cocked and has either a bolt or arrow engaged or partially engaged on
the shooting rail or track of the crossbow, or with a "trackless
crossbow" when the crossbow is cocked and a bolt or arrow is nocked.

Maybe someone with better legal search-fu can chime in.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I was under the impression that carrying a long gun in your vehicle was fine as long as it was not loaded. I think that has to do with hunting laws and people shooting from vehicles or from roads.

I don't necessarily like it but for me, to access a long gun in my vehicle, slapping a mag in wouldn't be that much more time or effort.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:13:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

§ 15.2-915.2.  .................. nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.
View Quote

I am reasonable.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am reasonable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

§ 15.2-915.2.  .................. nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.

I am reasonable.

As am I.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The only definition of "loaded" firearm I've been able to find is under the administrative code and is in regards to hunting so not might even apply to lawful non hunting purposes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keyword is "loaded"

H. Meaning of "possession" of bow, crossbow,or firearm and definition of "loaded  crossbow" and"loaded firearm." For the purpose of this section, the word"possession" shall include, but not be limited to, having any bow,crossbow, or firearm in or on one's person, vehicle or conveyance. For thepurpose of this section, a "loaded  firearm" shallbe defined as a firearm in which ammunition is chambered or loaded in themagazine or clip when such magazine or clip is  engaged orpartially engaged in a firearm. The definition of a loaded muzzleloading firearm will include a  muzzleloading firearm thatis capped, or has a charged pan, or has a primer or battery installedin the firearm. The definition of a "loaded crossbow" is a crossbowthat is cocked and has either a bolt or arrow engaged or partially engaged onthe shooting rail or track of the crossbow, or with a "tracklesscrossbow" when the crossbow is cocked and a bolt or arrow is nocked.

Isn't dbrowne a lawyer, hopefully he sees this.

I've always been under the impression that a loaded mag not in but just with the rifle is a no go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top