Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2016 5:32:46 PM EDT
I'm turning to the VA HTF for help locating a good place for my brother to shoot.

He's a great guy, retired CSM, multiple combat tours, single father, works now for the postal service.

I'm looking for perhaps a private place or club that is word of mouth type membership... within say an hours drive. Or maybe just a private group that would extend an opportunity to him to use their range or property.

He likes handgun shooting/reloading as well as precision rifle shooting and load development... he's not a bump-fire kind of guy who will fuck your place up.

If anyone knows of something, just send me an IM.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Best deal for the price is Airfield Shooting Club in Wakefield
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it indoor or outdoor? I'd like to try to locate a self-regulated outdoor range.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Fort Eustis POW (Privately Owned Weapons) range.
Since he's retired, he is eligible. He needs to take one safety class (First Mondays every month) and register his firearms at the MP station at Fort Eustis.
Range 2 (rifle only range up to 250 m) and Range 3 (pistol range, 25m I believe)
The only down side is that you need to bring one more person since there's no RSO at the ranges, and you need to sign in at the Pines golf club house with at least one more person (battle buddy system), and they will give you instructions how to open up and close the range properly including hand over to another group if you need to leave early.
It is $30 per YEAR! lol
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:46:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fort Eustis POW (Privately Owned Weapons) range.
Since he's retired, he is eligible. He needs to take one safety class (First Mondays every month) and register his firearms at the MP station at Fort Eustis.
Range 2 (rifle only range up to 250 m) and Range 3 (pistol range, 25m I believe)
The only down side is that you need to bring one more person since there's no RSO at the ranges, and you need to sign in at the Pines golf club house with at least one more person (battle buddy system), and they will give you instructions how to open up and close the range properly including hand over to another group if you need to leave early.
It is $30 per YEAR! lol
View Quote

Thanks for the reply...

I believe that's where he has been shooting but his safety cert has expired, he said it has to be renewed yearly now, and as you mentioned, class is Mondays only... he's having issues getting off. In addition, he said the rifle range is limited to .22 cal and below (,223 Rem, etc.)... no .30 cals allowed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been searching for a good club or range since I got stationed here. Lafayette gun club would fit what he and I are looking for,  but they are not taking new members. I have been making the long drive to C2 out in the VB/Pungo area to shoot my rifles and go to the Marksman for handgun shooting.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is it indoor or outdoor? I'd like to try to locate a self-regulated outdoor range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what you're looking for with reasonable fees. Handgun, 50 yard, 100 yard, skeet, trap.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Exactly what you're looking for with reasonable fees. Handgun, 50 yard, 100 yard, skeet, trap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THANKS... I'll pass it on.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Depending where he lives in Newport News. If he is by the MM bridge he is very close if he lives by ft eustis is more than an hour away.

Private range , super helpful http://www.ncrr.net
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a bit over an hour, but this would be my first choice:  https://rprclub.com/.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#10]
THANKS guys I'll pass this all on...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top