Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2016 11:28:47 PM EDT
Question for ya...

My permit is going to expire in May so I need to renew it.  I'm within the 90 days so I should be good to go... Here is my question.

I am active duty military so I don't currently live in VA but, a VA address is my official HOR.  The only complication is my permit was issued in Portsmouth but, my HOR is not in Portsmouth, it's in Virginia Beach.   Do I need to file the renewal with Portsmouth and then file for the change of address or can I file the renewal in Virginia Beach and reference my current CHP in box 8m of the VSP CHP application and they will take care of issuing my new permit through VAB?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding (I'm not .mil, so it could be different) is that you renew in your locality of residence.  I've renewed twice now (need to pick up my permit at the court house tomorrow actually) and I've always gone to the court in my town.  I'd call the Circuit Court Clerk in VA Beach and ask them how to file from wherever you're stationed.  I imagine it's nothing more than submitting the required paperwork.  Remember that it needs to be notorized.   In my case, I have to appear in the clerk's office to pick it up.  Not sure how they handle active duty soldiers.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 In my case, I have to appear in the clerk's office to pick it up.  .
View Quote

They can't ask you to pick it up. They need to follow the law and mail it.

18.2-308.04  "The court shall issue the permit via United States mail"
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I ended up calling.   They said to send a copy of my current permit along with notarized renewal paperwork/check with the different VAB address and they'll take care of the rest from there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The interesting thing is that they had me fill out a stamped post card that they provided.  When I dropped by a couple days before they approved it to see if it was ready the lady pulled out a stack of what had to be a few hundred permits to dig through.  Would seem that simply having you fill out a stamped envelope rather than post card would make a lot more sense.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The interesting thing is that they had me fill out a stamped post card that they provided.  When I dropped by a couple days before they approved it to see if it was ready the lady pulled out a stack of what had to be a few hundred permits to dig through.  Would seem that simply having you fill out a stamped envelope rather than post card would make a lot more sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chesterfield does that. They give you a postage paid envelope that you self-address when you drop off your app.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know if this is the case for a replacement permit?  The code section for replacement doesn't mention "mail" like the other section, just curious if this is the case "in practice."
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#7]
HOR is not going to matter all that much.
You have to be an actual resident.
Just apply as out of state.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you know if this is the case for a replacement permit?  The code section for replacement doesn't mention "mail" like the other section, just curious if this is the case "in practice."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

18.2-308.04 doesn't indicate that it is for initial permits only, so my reading is that the rule applies to any time a permit is to be issued......unless I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My locality made me come get it at the courthouse, too (which is annoying due to having to disarm).

They DID laminate it for me, without my asking, though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]
http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter7/section18.2-308.02/
§ 18.2-308.02. Application for a concealed handgun permit; Virginia resident or domiciliary.
A. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States armed forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun.

You are not a resident of you HOR.
You do not have orders to your HOR.

Apply as a non-resident.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter7/section18.2-308.06/
§ 18.2-308.06. Nonresident concealed handgun permits.

A. Nonresidents of the Commonwealth 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the Virginia Department of State Police for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. Every applicant for a nonresident concealed handgun permit shall submit two photographs of a type and kind specified by the Department of State Police for inclusion on the permit and shall submit fingerprints on a card provided by the Department of State Police for the purpose of obtaining the applicant's state or national criminal history record. As a condition for issuance of a concealed handgun permit, the applicant shall submit to fingerprinting by his local or state law-enforcement agency and provide personal descriptive information to be forwarded with the fingerprints through the Central Criminal Records Exchange to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation for the purpose of obtaining criminal history record information regarding the applicant and obtaining fingerprint identification information from federal records pursuant to criminal investigations by state and local law-enforcement agencies. The application shall be made under oath before a notary or other person qualified to take oaths on a form provided by the Department of State Police, requiring only that information necessary to determine eligibility for the permit. If the permittee is later found by the Department of State Police to be disqualified, the permit shall be revoked and the person shall return the permit after being so notified by the Department of State Police. The permit requirement and restriction provisions of subsection C of § 18.2-308.02 and § 18.2-308.09 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this subsection.

"The application shall be made under oath" means that fudging is a really bad idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top