Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2016 4:10:58 PM EDT
On average, how long did you have to wait before you received your VA CHP in the mail? I applied on 28 DEC, and have not received it yet, which will become an issue on the 1st when my FL permit is no longer honored in VA.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe they have up to 45 days to approve/disapprove your permit application.

It goes county by county as to how fast they move - the last time I had to renew, I left them a SASE so they could mail it - when I didn't get it, I called and was told it was ready for me to pick up....  That county court clerk just lost her re-election bid this year, maybe it will get better now.

Good luck,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine took under 7 days in PWC.  It was a renewal.  My initial permit way back when took about two weeks if I recall.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I left them a SASE so they could mail it
View Quote
This is an extralegal requirement, they're supposed to mail it on their dime. They're not supposed to ask for or require this. Don't give them anything not in the requirements, it makes it tougher for the next guy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Liberal NOVA likes to make you wait.

My 1st permit was issued in Old Town Alexandria - a full 45 days.  

My renewal in Arlington was delayed with a BS extension order; 63 days total.

And slightly less-communistic Fairfax recently delayed my renewal because I listed my hair color as "Br" instead of "brown" (apparently it was too difficult for them to look at my old permit).  They demanded notarization of the correction and the original too!

Pro tip:  immediately sign your new permit and take it right to Kinkos to get it laminated.  

At Kinkos, I like to pick out the most liberal-looking employee and make them help me laminate.  it's funny to watch their reaction when they realize exactly WHAT they are helping you laminate
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Liberal NOVA likes to make you wait.

My 1st permit was issued in Old Town Alexandria - a full 45 days.  

My renewal in Arlington was delayed with a BS extension order; 63 days total.

And slightly less-communistic Fairfax recently delayed my renewal because I listed my hair color as "Br" instead of "brown" (apparently it was too difficult for them to look at my old permit).  They demanded notarization of the correction and the original too!

Pro tip:  immediately sign your new permit and take it right to Kinkos to get it laminated.  

At Kinkos, I like to pick out the most liberal-looking employee and make them help me laminate.  it's funny to watch their reaction when they realize exactly WHAT they are helping you laminate
View Quote

Lol awesome. And thanks for the pro tip

I should get mine from Loudoun county in about 2 weeks
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Rockbridge county... 5 days..

It's good to not live in a liberal area
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:54:56 PM EDT
[#7]
From the replies, it looks like I will need to give them a call to see where it is at...I live in Newport News.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#8]
This is an extralegal requirement, they're supposed to mail it on their dime. They're not supposed to ask for or require this. Don't give them anything not in the requirements, it makes it tougher for the next guy.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Wise Co - Used to be quicker. Last two (new permit, renewal) were right at three weeks from submittal. Have seen them turn around a renewal in less than a week.

Russell Co - Four days from submittal to mailbox. That was a new permit using expired permit as proof of training.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it was about 3 weeks for me in Bedford County.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm almost positive it took about 3 weeks here in Hampton.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
1 week in Spotsylvania.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#13]
3 days, Prince William County
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#14]
My intial in Fairfax County took about 70 days. A call from VCDL lawyer and it was "magically" available for pickup that day. Used to have to pick them up in person, but they mail them now. Prince William renewal was within 1 week.

If you have not heard from them by 45 days, a copy of your application for CHP becomes a de facto permit to carry unless that law has changed recently.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I needed a replacement permit, filed for it 6 Jan, nothing from Fairfax County....sent letter today.....of note, mailed replacement request to Utah on Jan 6....received the new Utah license in less than two weeks.  I live right next to the courthouse, will go over there Monday....
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

On average, how long did you have to wait before you received your VA CHP in the mail? I applied on 28 DEC, and have not received it yet, which will become an issue on the 1st when my FL permit is no longer honored in VA.
View Quote
Just so you know, that the Gov. is scrapping the reciprocity ban of the 25 other states.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:36:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just so you know, that the Gov. is scrapping the reciprocity ban of the 25 other states.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, I read about it on my dinner break.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Less than 2 weeks in Roanoke Co.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine took 42 or 43 days in Henrico County(even with a Military/LE background)
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Mine took 42 or 43 days in Henrico County(even with a Military/LE background)
View Quote

Same here. I'm just letting my old Henrico one expire and reapplying for a Montgomery county one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine took 2 weeks in Prince Edward in 2004, and my renewals in PE and then in Nottoway took less than 2 weeks each time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Just got it in the mail today, about 4 weeks total..guess they are a little backed up for no-longer-in-effect reciprocity cancellation, lol!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#23]
3 work days in Campbell County.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mine took under 7 days in PWC.  It was a renewal.  My initial permit way back when took about two weeks if I recall.
View Quote

Same here. Just renewed mine last month.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Rockbridge county... 5 days..

It's good to not live in a liberal area
View Quote

This. In Craig Co. I went to the court house on a thursday, turned in the paperwork and gave them my $15. It was in my mailbox the following thursday.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Many of the more Liberal areas in the state (Arlington County in particular) pride themselves on taking the entire 45 days.
They used all 90 days when that was the limit.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Just got mine from Loudoun county last Friday.  It was back in less than 3 weeks.  

I was very surprised to find that VA doesnt put your picture on your CHP or Voter Registration ID.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just got mine from Loudoun county last Friday.  It was back in less than 3 weeks.  

I was very surprised to find that VA doesnt put your picture on your CHP or Voter Registration ID.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure they print them on business card stock.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, Loudoun issues a hard plastic card.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one I got from Newport News was on a business card. The same that you can buy at WalMart to print your own business cards.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one I got from Newport News was on a business card. The same that you can buy at WalMart to print your own business cards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top