Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2015 9:50:13 PM EDT
I am looking at a job that would require me to relocate to Roanoke, VA. What can you guys tell me about it? I want to live in the country but still have some big city amenities within a reasonable driving range(30mins). Thanks, DannerTrax
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I am looking at a job that would require me to relocate to Roanoke, VA. What can you guys tell me about it? I want to live in the country but still have some big city amenities within a reasonable driving range(30mins). Thanks, DannerTrax
View Quote
Pretty much everywhere around Roanoke except Salem offers what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:48:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Just check the police report maps before buying.   Sections of Roanoke have gotten a little wild in the last few years.

Small stuff.     But definitely not to be ignored.

What employee are you signing on with?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:34:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I was raised here, left for 20 years, and recently returned.  Crime in Roanoke is really nothing compared to the larger cities I've lived in.  Even the worst schools here seem relatively tame compared to the toughest schools in larger cities.  It's a friendly community.  You really can find anything you want within 30 miles of Roanoke.  Roanoke, Craig, Botetourt, Bedford, Franklin, Montgomery and Floyd are nice places to live with each offering their own version of "quality of life".  Some may grumble at our gun shows, but we have ~6 each year and they are large for a community of this size.  Very 2A friendly... even the local Dems that run for office tout their NRA memberships (except in Roanoke City).  Roanoke has more services, shopping and entertainment options than most cities it's size, but it's still on the development tail for most new restaurant and shopping concepts.  Blacksburg/Virginia Tech is ~30 min away and has all the amenities of your typical large college town.  The outdoor opportunities are seemingly endless with the mountains, large public lands (national forests), and Smith Mountain Lake all within easy driving distance.  It really is a great place to live if you can find a great job.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where you coming from??
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Danner, I recommend checking on the viability of your job position.  Roanoke has lost some major employers in the last few years.  Its a great area but the local politicians have not made it easy on employers causing some to leave.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a MI refugee and I really like it here. 20 minutes to work, 20 minutes to the Appalachian Trail, low cost of living, and I can see mountains out my kitchen window.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I cant get into detail about the job but, its real and there. I don't have it yet and will have to wait a long while to see if I get it. So I'm and just trying to plan ahead. Thank you guys  for all the info, it sounds just like what I was looking for. DannerTrax
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Downtown Roanoke=Loft community
SE,NE,NW Roanoke=Avoid at all costs
S Roanoke=Doctors and high prices
N Roanoke=Starter family area
Cave Spring=GTG
Salem=Meh
Glenvar/Elliston=GTG
Bedford=GTG
Botetourt=GTG just high property taxes
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I live in craig co, i work in the hollins area of roanoke and i can get there in about 40 minutes. Craig is very rural, mountainous(spelling?) and a nice, quiet place to live. Give catawba area a look to. Still rural but in roanoke county, i grew up in catawba and moved into craig because i wanted to get farther out. And theres a couple public shooting ranges i know of in craig in national forest.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I love the area. I have dated a few girls from the greater Roanoke-metro area and spent a lot of time there.

I would happily live somewhere nearby, up in a holler somewhere, and commute into the city.

FWIW, if your job has anything to do with the feds, Roanoke is the head location of the Western District of VA, so there's a fed courthouse, and the associated fed LE offices that go with it (US Attorney, FBI, ATF, USMS).

Biggest employers that I've seen are healthcare, railroad, etc. And NS just did a big layoff/move of its white-collar shops. Still plenty of maintenance/track jobs, if you can break into that field. Not easy.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the continued flow of information, I will put it in the bank. DannerTrax
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#12]
If you like the Large Small Town feel, Blacksburg is just a 30-45 minute drive.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Roanoke itsself sucks and is a dump.

I grew up in Botetourt, mom lives there. Its GTG.

Id like to move back. Anywhere around roanoke is fine.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I grew up in Roanoke county and things were nice but the last time I visited my old neighborhood things had gone downhill quite a bit.

I'd be looking at Bedford area, but mostly because I'm familiar with it. In Bedford you are close enough to commute to Roanoke, Blacksburg, and Lynchburg for work if need be.

There are plenty of areas surrounding Roanoke that would meet your needs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in Botetourt Co and work in Roanoke. Botetourt is conservative, has lower taxes and better schools IMO. Two of our kids graduated here and we are homeschooling the last one. Really good home school community if that appeals to you. This is the only area in the country I have lived that I moved back to because I wanted to.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Any word yet?

I've lived here in Roanoke for the past 23 years (since I was 5).  

It really is a great place.  Big city amenities with the small town feel.  TONS of outdoor activities to do.  Great shooting ranges (Roanoke Rifle and Revolver Club...among others).  

I would look just outside the Roanoke Co. line for housing, as the taxes will be half of what Roanoke's is.  Bedford Co, Franklin Co, Craig Co, Botetourt Co....

I'll live here until I die
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bedford Co, Franklin Co, Craig Co, Botetourt Co....
View Quote

and as usual Montgomery county is left off the list.     I can understand leaving Floyd off.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

and as usual Montgomery county is left off the list.     I can understand leaving Floyd off.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never think of it because I never get out that way

When I go for a motorcycle ride...it's to one of the counties I mentioned...I hardly ever go west.  It takes 30+ minutes just to cross Roanoke (I'm on the East near the Parkway)
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:16:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It takes 30+ minutes just to cross Roanoke (I'm on the East near the Parkway)
View Quote

Jump on the parkway and head west.  Run out to Tuggles Gap and then drop back down 221 or Rt 8 to civilization.  Its not a bad drive.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#21]
No offense to anyone that is from here, but Roanoke is a shithole for the most part. The downtown market district is really cool, and there is a good restaurant scene in Roanoke. Botetourt is gtg, better schools and less trash.

Moved here 2 years ago, moving back to NC as soon as the house sells.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top