Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2015 5:51:52 PM EDT
My commute would be to the south end of Manassas and my hours are flexible for work.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I recall a totally jacked up water and sewer utility.  The distribution system was so fouled and corroded and leaking that they were trucking most of their potable water for YEARS.  Nothing worse then paying high for a crappy product.  You may want to ask a local if they have resolved all this and what's it costing them.  I don't like horses, so I will not further neg
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The places I'm looking at are remote enough to be on well and septic.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the prettiest areas of the state.  I'm partial because I grew up in Markham.  Close enough to NOVA for convenience, but close enough to the valley to be nice.
National Forest, Skyline Drive, The Shenandoah river.

Buying?  Fauquier seems to have been doing a great job at stifling growth unlike its neighbors.  The county itself seems vested in remaining rural, and there's enough money thats local to help keep it that way.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the prettiest areas of the state.  I'm partial because I grew up in Markham.  Close enough to NOVA for convenience, but close enough to the valley to be nice.
National Forest, Skyline Drive, The Shenandoah river.

Buying?  Fauquier seems to have been doing a great job at stifling growth unlike its neighbors.  The county itself seems vested in remaining rural, and there's enough money thats local to help keep it that way.
View Quote

Buying, got a budget of $350k or so.   I like being remote with land.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't live in Marshall, but I've driven on every state maintened road in Fauquier county over the past 3 months because of my job. SO, my observations would lead me to believe that mere mortals couldn't afford to live north of Rectortown off of Atoka Rd. (713) unless you blessed with a recent lotto windfall...... However, if you go south west of 66/17 it looks a little more promising! If you head west on 55 toward Markham and turn left on Sage Rd. (724), or go a little further and turn left on Leeds Manor Rd. (688) you might find some worded property that suits your needs. You also might want to get a map and drive every last piece of road up there before you make a decision. I get to do that in several different counties and it's amazing what you find.

PS I wasn't buying property and might be absolutely wrong in my assessment of affordibility in those specific areas. I just assumed when you see guard shacks and runways on farm property is must be expensive property.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#6]
20+ years ago, that's where me girlfriend lived , she was and still is batshit insane . I suspect I may of been environmental, but don't know for sure .
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I just moved out of Marshall back in Sept. I spent 1 1/2 years there. Up in Pa now.  Its a nice quiet area. Rents are reasonable. Alot of "undocumented" workers. My 9yo went to school there. The school is about 25% "south of the border" kids. The sewer charge is the issue, not the water. We payed 100+ a month just in sewer charges.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll be buying and on septic and well.  My wife is Hispanic
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Try to find something around Markham and on over towards Hume.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?

Also, any input on the commute from Marshall to the south end of Manassas?  I have to be at work around 7 but can adjust that as needed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I would go farther west than Marshall. Prices are cheaper the closer you get to Front Royal. Rt 66 gets bad east of Manassas (heading east.) Shouldn't be bad from Front Royal to Manassas.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would go farther west than Marshall. Prices are cheaper the closer you get to Front Royal. Rt 66 gets bad east of Manassas (heading east.) Shouldn't be bad from Front Royal to Manassas.
View Quote

Exactly the kind of input I was looking for, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's right.  As long as you get off at exit 44 and go no further, traffic is fine.  I live in linden and drive to manassas park every day.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#14]
My work isn't far from VA Arms.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like you are working in the same general vicinity as me.

Backups on 66 start about 630am in the Manassas area and work out towards 234.  But thankfully you can take the 234 bypass (Prince William Parkway) and miss the backups.  Then turn left on Wellington road to get over to 28.  There are other backways as well and I could explain them if you want to stay off of 66.

I transit in from just east of Warrenton to the Lockheed Martin facility on the south side of Manassas.  Depending on the week I am in at 6 or 730am.

Welcome to country living.

Bill
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sounds like you are working in the same general vicinity as me.

Backups on 66 start about 630am in the Manassas area and work out towards 234.  But thankfully you can take the 234 bypass (Prince William Parkway) and miss the backups.  Then turn left on Wellington road to get over to 28.  There are other backways as well and I could explain them if you want to stay off of 66.

I transit in from just east of Warrenton to the Lockheed Martin facility on the south side of Manassas.  Depending on the week I am in at 6 or 730am.

Welcome to country living.

Bill
View Quote

IM inbound.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

I just happen to like the land over that way and dove hunted the area. It sort of has a Old Virginia feel to it if that makes any sense to you. Beautiful rolling country.

I live in Warren County but we are all sold out.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll let you guys know when I have everything sorted and a loan ready.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Take up a meth habit.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

PS I wasn't buying property and might be absolutely wrong in my assessment of affordibility in those specific areas. I just assumed when you see guard shacks and runways on farm property is must be expensive property.
View Quote
That was Paul Mellons farm.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

66 is a breeze from the 81 interchange to the second (I believe it's the second) exit for Manassas.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Take up a meth habit.
View Quote

Come on, man.  Give a prospective home buyer more details than that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice area.   In Jan we bought a house off of Crest Hill Rd.    Moved from Front Royal to be closer to family and work.    I commute to DC/MD every day but work 5-1 to beat the traffic.   Traffic to the VA arms area should be a breeze from here at pretty much any hour.    It does not start to get shitty until you pass 234 bypass.    Feel free to shoot me any other questions you have.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nice area.   In Jan we bought a house off of Crest Hill Rd.    Moved from Front Royal to be closer to family and work.    I commute to DC/MD every day but work 5-1 to beat the traffic.   Traffic to the VA arms area should be a breeze from here at pretty much any hour.    It does not start to get shitty until you pass 234 bypass.    Feel free to shoot me any other questions you have.
View Quote

Thanks, man.  I'll try to update the thread once I finish unfucking all of my paperwork and get the loan.  

I appreciate all of the meaningful input I have received here so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top