Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2015 2:07:10 PM EDT
Heading to the Cove tomorrow for the first time.  I plan on bringing my own target and stand for the pistol range.  I also heard they have steel targets on the 100 yard range.  Do they have any benches?  I have a few rifles to sight in.  Thanks.  

P.S. If anyone else is going to be there, look for the guy with the Baltimore Ravens Shirt on.  Come by and say hello.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, just saw this. No, no benches. It's fairly plain Jane, but it's relaxing and chill if there aren't many people.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Last time I was there there were two solid benches, could be more now.  4 steel targets capable of wistanding 30-06 AP rounds with no damage as the targets are angled forward to also deflect the rounds.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Last time I was there there were two solid benches, could be more now.  4 steel targets capable of wistanding 30-06 AP rounds with no damage as the targets are angled forward to also deflect the rounds.
View Quote

When did the benches arrive?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Good to know. Thanks guys. I'll report back about the benches. I guess I should bring my mat. I'm assuming it's okay to shoot prone.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:30:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Interested to know if a 4x4 or any car with some good ground clearance is needed to drive up there?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:09:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Interested to know if a 4x4 or any car with some good ground clearance is needed to drive up there?
View Quote

a 4x4 is nice but i've made it up there in an old camry before.  also made it up there in about 6 inches of snow in a short bus
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Benches were there months ago perhaps last fall.  It hasn't rained in days so a normal car should be as to make it up there.   My Santa Fe has no problems but it has a greater clearance than cars.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Benches were there months ago perhaps last fall.
View Quote

Damn, well I guess I stand corrected.  It is July, after all.  I went last fall.  It seems like it was just a few months ago I was there.  Life is passing me by too quickly.

EDIT:  If you get this - take lots of picks and give us an AAR when you get back.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I got to the range at 9am this morning.  Had the whole range to myself for 2 hours until a small group showed up.  Great little range with steel targets and 5 2-sided benches.  The only thing that was disappointing was that the steel targets were only out to 85 yards.  On their website it states it's a 100 yard range.  Oh well, had a great time and will most likely go back in a few weeks.

P.S. I don't know how anyone can get up there in a small car.  I have an SUV and some parts of the road had some deep dips in them.  FYI.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#11]
How long did the drive take?  It's 2-ish hours for me, or I'd go more.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How long did the drive take?  It's 2-ish hours for me, or I'd go more.
View Quote

I'm in South Riding/Aldie area. It took me an hour and 15 min.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#13]
It's the vehicle thing that keeps me from going. I'm not up to hiking in with all my crap anymore.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's the vehicle thing that keeps me from going. I'm not up to hiking in with all my crap anymore.
View Quote

The range officer told me I could drive up to the range, drop off my gear, then go back down to park. When I was done, I was able to get my truck and come back up to the range to grab my gear. FYI.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Wait, you can't park a truck up there anymore?

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#16]
No, I was referring to ground clearance. Pretty low slung here.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope.  They created a small parking lot nearby.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then fuck them.  I'm not in the military anymore and I'm not rucking up and down that hill, gear or not, when I bought a Jeep for that express purpose.  It should be like it always was - first come, first served.  Too full?  Drop your shit, go down and park, walk back up.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The range officer told me I could drive up to the range, drop off my gear, then go back down to park. When I was done, I was able to get my truck and come back up to the range to grab my gear. FYI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you left all your gear alone while you went to park your car?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda my thought. I'm not explaining why a bunch of NFA gear disappeared.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I parked once at the very bottom of the hill at a tiny pullover since I had a regular car.  Was lucky and got a ride up, but the walk down was not a whole lot of fun toting everything and I had burned up all the ammo!

On google maps there is a truck parked right there...  there is even more area there than before....  How far away is this new parking area?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The parking lot is only about 30 yards away.  The only other person there was the range officer.  If others were there, no I wouldn't have left my gear.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I usually only go on my Friday's I have off and no RSO on Fridays.    Will have to visit again soon.  
Top Top