Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2015 9:00:09 AM EDT
I recently bought 15 acres of freedom in Frederick County VA, just outside Winchester. The deer population here is rampant, or I'm seeing the same few every day.  I read that I don't need a license to hunt on my own land, but does it still have to be in season?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you are bound to the harvest regulations.  If you can demonstrate damage you can get a permit and take out of season.

FWIW, unless VDGIF has recently changed the law the land is good for 2 generations of family to hunt without permit a license......example: grandson hunting on the land is covered.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#2]
congrats!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Need help come deer season?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]
gimme a shout if you want help... I can make jerky
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#5]
See license exemptions:

Resident or nonresident landowners, their spouses, their children and grandchildren and the spouses of such children and grandchildren, or the landowner's parents, resident or nonresident, do not need a license to hunt, trap or fish (on inland waters) within the boundaries of their own lands.
View Quote

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/licenses.asp
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Tracking.  So don't need a license, but still have to obey the seasonal regulations, unless I can demonstrate Mr. Buck has been munching on my vegtable garden for an exemption permit.  Or, do the damages have to be livelyhood related, ie; owning an apple orchard that my main source of income is from.

Btw; new to hunting, so I welcome anyone thats able to show me how to dress and butcher a deer.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Do you have a HEAVY DUTY tree stand, and a large herd population?

Maybe this will help thin them out!

Just let me know. . .

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tracking.  So don't need a license, but still have to obey the seasonal regulations, unless I can demonstrate Mr. Buck has been munching on my vegtable garden for an exemption permit.  Or, do the damages have to be livelyhood related, ie; owning an apple orchard that my main source of income is from.

Btw; new to hunting, so I welcome anyone thats able to show me how to dress and butcher a deer.
View Quote

depending on your deer, dress may not need that much work. Ive hunted areas where they wer so used to people, jeans and t-shirt sufficed. no need to worry about camo or scent.

Ive also hunted ares where absolute stealth is required.

How 'tame' are your deer? start keeping tabs on # and specific individuals if you can. You may have more than 1 herd.

Time of day, physical condition etc. the more you watch the better your 'pattern' (understanding) of your deer will be. Keep an eye out for changes in your area, construction, logging etc understand that it can change their pattern, see if it does, and note their reaction. Maybe their schedule shifts, bedding/feeding areas changed.

Game cams can do alot this leg work for you.

And gutting is easy... if you dont have a queasy stomach you should be fine... I can eat lunch in the middle of cleaning a deer ... I process all my own meat, its pretty easy, just takes time, but you do get a greater sense of connection, plus the peace of mind of knowing where your meat came from and how it was handled

Depending on your deer/land you may not need a treestand, hunting from the ground can be jsut as effect... I find it more intense...

but treestands have their benefits:

thats a spike I let walk... 15min later this guy shows up to fight:

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#9]
ground hunt:
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damage permit typically has a lot do with the density of deer in a given area.  I believe if you demonstrate reasonable measures to deter and still have property damage in a high density deer area, it probably isn't difficult to get damage tags.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/deer/dcap.asp

You are in a special area of concern for CWD.  Take note:
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/diseases/cwd/

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you have a HEAVY DUTY tree stand, and a large herd population?

Maybe this will help thin them out!

Just let me know. . .

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/fn111557/MyToys/1919A6/WP_20140730_20_17_53_Pro.jpg

View Quote

I have the concrete foundation of an old grain silo still; it would make a great fixed possition for a base of fire...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:03:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Around here in Fairfax they hand out damage control permits like a pervert giving out candy at a park.  Not sure how DGIF is around Winchester.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in Fauquier county and would be more than happy to help you knock that herd down a bit come season time.  Can make it a BBQ session at the same time.  

Tex
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top