Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2015 8:26:21 AM EDT
Background - New to the AR scene but not to rifles. Grew up in southern Mississippi and had the luxury of being able to shoot outside on my property. I have never been to an indoor range.

Specific to ESS, what are some of the range etiquette items I need to know? Does one collect their own spent shells and take them home or does the range prefer that we leave them for recycling (I do not reload)? Do I buy the targets at the range or should I bring my own? What about the stapler to put them up? Even simpler, is there someone at the range that can perform an introductory lesson on how to use the range?

Sorry for the noob questions.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#1]
It's very user friendly.  They have a mandatory 10 minute safety video. Targets are available and are reasonably priced. Stapler is provided. Clean up your brass but you don't need to take it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick reply!
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the area and enjoy all your shooting time at Elite that you can.

Specific to ESS, what are some of the range etiquette items I need to know?  Each lane is nice and large with plenty of privacy from the next one.  So you can shoot at your own pace and not worry about brass hitting you from someone else shooting.

Does one collect their own spent shells and take them home or does the range prefer that we leave them for recycling (I do not reload)?  Your choice.  Some leave the brass, some keep theirs like I do to reload.  Some will even ask you if you don't mind them collecting your brass.  I believe Elites statement is you are allowed to collect your own brass only.  Some of the RSO's have seen that I am collecting my brass and when they use the sweepers they push any and all brass to me if others are not collecting.

Do I buy the targets at the range or should I bring my own? Again your choice.  They do have targets there but you can bring you own.

What about the stapler to put them up? Staplers are available at every lane.  RSO's are available to fix the stapler if it isn't working correctly.

Even simpler, is there someone at the range that can perform an introductory lesson on how to use the range? Yes, plenty of RSO's available to show you how to use the lane equipment.

I have a full membership there and am there at least once a week.  My wife also has her membership and gets there at least monthly.  It is nice to have a range with convenient hours and away from the heavy traffic closer into DC.  Allows us out west of Manassas to easily come in and enjoy our evenings or afternoons.

Have a nice day.

Bill
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#4]
The other posts pretty much covered it. I shoot there on a weekly basis and the staff is very polite and professional. The orientation video will explain all the rules about using their range that you need to know. Most people sweep their unwanted brass passed the firing line and I am sure ESS appreciates that. However, if you collect your own brass for reloading that is not a problem. Just make sure it is YOUR brass and don't try to recover anything in front of the firing line (for safety reasons).

They sell targets but you can bring your own. Just make sure they are positioned so you are not shooting into the ceiling, the target carrier or into the floor down range. "eye level" target placement is what I believe they request.

If you have any questions just ask an RSO and they will be eager to help you out. They supervise the line very well. Don't worry, if you are doing something improper, they will quickly but politely help you correct your error. I have witnessed this on a couple occasions and have always been impressed with how these situations were handled.

FWIW- I always bring my own staple gun anyway, just in case theirs isn't working or out of staples. It is just easier and keeps me shooting until I can bring it to the attention of an RSO.

When you walk through the door for the first time, simply go to your RIGHT and tell one of the nice ladies that this is your first visit to their range. They will take it from there.

ETA- If they don't cover it in the orientation ask at the POS (where you pay) how to use the target carrier controls. It is pretty simple and intuitive but still worth asking if you are unfamiliar with it.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the site, by the way!

It seems like I'm at ESS constantly.  I'll be there in a couple of hours, actually.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone! I am going to stop by ESS tomorrow just to take a look. It will be about two more weeks before my build is complete.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Went there for the firs time today at 9:00 with a couple of business associates.    Impressive facility and wasn't crowded while we were there.  

Happy that we decided to go there vs IWLA in the rain.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#9]
i went for the first time last sunday evening.  very nice place with plenty of helpful people to assist you.  they pretty much have anything you need there or you can bring your own supplies.  we shot in the 100 yard lanes which were nice.   i'm looking forward to going back and trying out the shorter lanes on the other side.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Went there for the firs time today at 9:00 with a couple of business associates.    Impressive facility and wasn't crowded while we were there.  

Happy that we decided to go there vs IWLA in the rain.
View Quote

You?  The first time there??  I am dissapoint.  

EDIT:  Oh, anyone not a member that wants to go check it out sometime, PM me and we'll go shoot.  I live nearby and it's only $10 for you to split a lane with a member.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#11]
are they open tomorrow, Easter?
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#12]
website says no
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#13]
D'oh, I'm an idiot.  Didn't check the calendar.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Gf wants to go tomorrow afternoon.  Her idea
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Finally got a chance to go to ESS last night to zero my new carbine. Really nice facility. I regret not going sooner.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know if an issue bringing foreign nationals?  Got a brit in law in town and want to take him blasting.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone know if an issue bringing foreign nationals?  Got a brit in law in town and want to take him blasting.  
View Quote

Yes of course you can bring your Brit buddy shooting there as long he follows the safety rules.

But before anyone claims it's a dumb question you asked (it is not), consider:

-MagPul DVDs are banned from export from the USA under ITAR.  Yep - the mere information is controlled.  .Gov used the same logic to ban a website showing code for 3D printing firearm related parts.

-"firearms training" can also be controlled.  That's why your question is valid.

Lucky for you, it's just recreation in your case.  And consider a different law:  it is discriminatory and possibly racist to even inquire about a persons "national origin" or citizenship status in many areas, such as employment.   So don't bring up his citizenship.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes of course you can bring your Brit buddy shooting there as long he follows the safety rules.

-MagPul DVDs are banned from export from the USA under ITAR.  Yep - the mere information is controlled.  .Gov used the same logic to ban a website showing code for 3D printing firearm related parts.

-"firearms training" can also be controlled.  That's why your question is valid.

Lucky for you, it's just recreation in your case.  And consider a different law:  it is discriminatory and possibly racist to even inquire about a persons "national origin" or citizenship status in many areas, such as employment.   So don't bring up his citizenship.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  They guy probably feels bad enough, already.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I figured citizenship would be obvious when they asked for his driver license since he just has his passport and UK license.  To get a range card at NRA they ask for DL or .gov ID, but maybe ESS doesn't verify ID, in that case only his frooty accent will tip them off.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#20]
We need to do an ARF range day
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why has it taken tthis long for someone  to suggest  that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably because it's an indoor range.  There won't be a lot of talking opportunities, and they only allow one gun out per lane at a time.  So that makes swapping guns and showing off your wares and moving around complicated.

But it's just down the street so I'm up for shooting whenever someone wants some company.

Still want to do a Cove trip, though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Probably because it's an indoor range.  There won't be a lot of talking opportunities, and they only allow one gun out per lane at a time.  So that makes swapping guns and showing off your wares and moving around complicated.

But it's just down the street so I'm up for shooting whenever someone wants some company.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree on the cove.  Need to get the toys out this spring/summer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We could go shoot at the range and then go out to dinner locally. They also have the dining area at Elite. Not that I would eat there but there are options.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Just looked up the cove. That's  mighty appealing.  Lots closer then our last camping  trip. And close  enough  to  invite  the rest of my family.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top