Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2015 1:33:38 PM EDT
Just bought a Liberty Lincoln 50 gun safe from a friend.  I need it moved from his house in Fairfax to mine in Leesburg.  I got a quote from Baldinos for $900 which seems a bit.....expensive.  I know Steves Services is capable but he is impossible to reach (3 VM's and multiple emails over the last few weeks).    I also checked with Dave The Mover and he declined because of the weight (~1200lbs).  Anyone else in the area I can price check this against that folks have used in the past?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy cow - that bid is STEEP. My understanding is that Steve's was sold to Baldino's a couple years ago, so you may not have many options. If Baldinos has no competition in that market (1200 pounds!) it isn't surprising their prices are crazy.

-shooter
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Give Thompson Safe up in Frederick a call:

7313 Grove Rd
Suite M
Frederick, MD 21704

Phone: 301-631-1500

I purchased my safe from them and delivery was reasonable and no issues.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Rent some Piano dollies, I moved a 800 lb safe by myself.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rent some Piano dollies, I moved a 800 lb safe by myself.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Steve's Services was NOT sold to baldino's. Baldino's bought out virginia safe and lock, which was in springfield, va. I would keep trying Steve. He is where I am buying my next safe from, after he spent hours on the phone with me telling me about the safe business.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Just bought a Liberty Lincoln 50 guy safe from a friend.

50 guys? WOW! Now that is a big safe.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#7]

I see what you did there.  Maybe it's one of those clown car safes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

From my experience you tend to fill them up.  Always buy bigger than you need.  
Ask me how I know.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ask me how I know.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask me how I know.  

You fill yours with GUYS, like the OP?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:53:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask me how I know.  

Only dead ones.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Only dead ones.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask me how I know.  

Only dead ones.  

What, they drove a Mercedes?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask me how I know.  

Only dead ones.  

Nah..  Only Ford Pintos.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Steve's Services was NOT sold to baldino's. Baldino's bought out virginia safe and lock, which was in springfield, va. I would keep trying Steve. He is where I am buying my next safe from, after he spent hours on the phone with me telling me about the safe business.
View Quote

Good to hear, I always reccomend Steve, but was afraid he was out of the business.  He does tend to be hard to reach on the phone.  My next-door neighbor tried to get him to come move a safe (after I gave him the number), and it took weeks to get a return call.  I don't know if he just isn't interested in that kind of work on its own, but a straight "no, thanks" would be better than leaving a lot of messages.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I think he's just straight busy. Everytime I talk to him he's on the move.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Holy cow - that bid is STEEP. My understanding is that Steve's was sold to Baldino's a couple years ago, so you may not have many options. If Baldinos has no competition in that market (1200 pounds!) it isn't surprising their prices are crazy.

-shooter
View Quote

I don't think "Steve's Services" as a business was sold to Baldino's. I believe he moves and installs a lot of safes Baldino's sell. I know Steve quite well and he is still out there selling and installing safes. He is just impossible to get a hold of.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I know Steve quite well and he is still out there selling and installing safes. He is just impossible to get a hold of.
View Quote

I'm glad business is doing well for him.  That may not always be the case and not returning (many) phone calls and emails etc etc may not be a good long term business strategy.  When you tell someone "Ok, I'll call you back tomorrow.", you should do just that.  shrug.  No worries though, as he isn't the only game in town.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Holy cow - that bid is STEEP. -shooter
View Quote

I had Baldinos quote me for an AMSEC BF6636 - a roughly ~$4000 safe.  They came back with pricing of $6600.  I guess they don't like to sell gun safes?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I had Baldinos quote me for an AMSEC BF6636 - a roughly ~$4000 safe.  They came back with pricing of $6600.  I guess they don't like to sell gun safes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy cow - that bid is STEEP. -shooter

I Googled it and found a place selling it for $3700 w/free shipping.  I heard that Baldinos was pricey, but that is insane.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I Googled it and found a place selling it for $3700 w/free shipping.  I heard that Baldinos was pricey, but that is insane.
View Quote

No kidding.  And that was before they jacked you up for an additional $500+ to deliver the safe.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#20]
So to close this out for anyone thinking of using Baldino's in the future.

They arrive in a big truck labeled "Baldinos - GUN SAFE DELIVERY"

If you have anything other than a straight forward - 'deliver to garage' type delivery, expect some amount of drama.  In my case, the intended location, route, doorway, steps and associated measurements were all communicated, at length (over a 20 minute conversation), with the delivery manager but never communicated to the delivery team.  Speaking of the delivery team - the 3 guys who came out did a great job, however, due to the "perceived difficulty of the install" the 'team' was suppose to be 4 guys and the delivery manager I previously spoke with on the telephone.

When the team arrived, straight away they weren't prepared to deliver the safe down a flight of steps (nothing was noted on the paperwork).  Second, they have never delivered a safe "this big" down a flight of stairs (Lincoln 50).  Back on the phone with the delivery manager (who was suppose to be present) and she coached up her team to come up with a plan to get it down.

The end plan was to use a machine they employ to move safes across yards and have it climb down my wood steps.  It's a pretty rough and tough machine and I figured it may do some damage to the steps (which I didn't care about), but it got the job done without much drama.  The safe itself fared well coming down the steps but did not emerge unscathed.  In hindsight, I think they should of but a moving blanket (or two) around the safe which would of avoided the scratches.

That all being said, it was installed where I wanted it, and no one got hurt in the process.  From talking to the delivery guys, they are largely expected to 'muscle through' tough delivery's and are not provided the tools needed to more easily (and safely) handle difficult situations or heavier safes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:34:06 AM EDT
[#21]
When Thompson safe of frederick delivery my safe.  They used a crawler.  They muscled the safe as close as they can to my stairs using dolley and boards on the grass.  They then wrapped the safe in blanket and strapped the safe to the crawler.  The crawler is a machine that has rubber tank tracks.  they plugged the crawler to electricity and essentially guide the safe down the stairs and all the way into the basement where I wanted.

I was impressed with the crawler nonetheless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top