Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2014 12:39:32 PM EDT
200 yard "fun match" at Fairfax Rod and Gun Saturday before Christmas.

Links:
http://fxrgc.org/index.cfm?section=1
and
http://fxrgc.org/calendar/maincal.cfm

NRA Highpower rifle rules generally apply to the course of fire.
Rules are "relaxed" as far as the equipment, scoring, and coaching.

Date of match is Saturday, December 20, 2014

All firing at 200 yards.
We do have pits.

Course of fire is usually 500 agg.
20 offhand

Sometimes we shoot an 800, so bring enough ammo to shoot an 800 unless you really only want to shoot a 500, and in which case you can cool your jets while the rest of us shoot the extra rounds.

We shoot no matter how cold it is.

We generally will not shoot if it is raining.

Match entry fee for fun matches is usually $5.
No awards.
Two relays.
Scoring will usually be done "in the pits" if you even care about somebody keeping your score.
I typically don't even bother my pit-puller to keep my score for the fun-matches.
If you want to shoot your weird rifle, that's fine, so long as you can stay on paper.
If you want to shoot the whole match on the SR target, that's fine (think Garand and 1903 shooters, or complete noobs).

Squadding at 0830.
Live at 0900.
Expect to be done firing by 1200.
Coaching is permitted (and encouraged) for newer shooters. Bring your own coach. One will not be furnished.

Any type of rifle bigger than .22 rimfire, but smaller than .34 caliber is permissible.
Optics are permitted.

If you are so inept that you mostly miss the entire target, please go away.
We have had a few of them. I'm the Rifle and Pistol Committee Chairman, and also a member of the safety committee. and I'm going to start DQ'ing them and give them their $5 back and send them home.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
200 yard "fun match" at Fairfax Rod and Gun Saturday before Christmas.

Links:
http://fxrgc.org/index.cfm?section=1
and
http://fxrgc.org/calendar/maincal.cfm

NRA Highpower rifle rules generally apply to the course of fire.
Rules are "relaxed" as far as the equipment, scoring, and coaching.

Date of match is Saturday, December 20, 2014

All firing at 200 yards.
We do have pits.

Course of fire is usually 500 agg.
20 offhand

Sometimes we shoot an 800, so bring enough ammo to shoot an 800 unless you really only want to shoot a 500, and in which case you can cool your jets while the rest of us shoot the extra rounds.

We shoot no matter how cold it is.

We generally will not shoot if it is raining.

Match entry fee for fun matches is usually $5.
No awards.
Two relays.
Scoring will usually be done "in the pits" if you even care about somebody keeping your score.
I typically don't even bother my pit-puller to keep my score for the fun-matches.
If you want to shoot your weird rifle, that's fine, so long as you can stay on paper.
If you want to shoot the whole match on the SR target, that's fine (think Garand and 1903 shooters, or complete noobs).

Squadding at 0830.
Live at 0900.
Expect to be done firing by 1200.
Coaching is permitted (and encouraged) for newer shooters. Bring your own coach. One will not be furnished.

Any type of rifle bigger than .22 rimfire, but smaller than .34 caliber is permissible.
Optics are permitted.

If you are so inept that you mostly miss the entire target, please go away.
We have had a few of them. I'm the Rifle and Pistol Committee Chairman, and also a member of the safety committee. and I'm going to start DQ'ing them and give them their $5 back and send them home.
View Quote

So, i like to shoot things, but ive never shot in matches outside National Guard EIC matches...

Can i compete with an M16A4 w/ ACOG and how many rounds do i need?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#2]
500 agg would be 50 rounds plus 2 sighters for each yard line.   800 agg would be 80 rnds plus sighters.   WEG can probably explain how they do sighters at their club( some clubs  do 2 sighters for each position, and others just do 2 before offhand and then roll thru the rest of the match) For the rapid fire stages it helps to have extra rounds incase of an alibi.  If you bring 100 rounds you should be fine for the match.   Another thing not mentioned is make sure you have a sling for the sitting and prone positions.  It's not required but is strongly recommend
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't make the 20th, but would be interested in fun matches with military weapons in 2015.  Please keep posting!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure we will do sighters at each of the four stages:
2 slow-fire sighters offhand
2 slow-fire sighters before rapid-fire sitting
2 slow-fire sighters before rapid-fire prine
2 slow-fire sighters before slow-fire prone.

I doubt that Alan will allow any alibi strings in this match.
If you have a gun that likes to jam, or if you have a gun (like me with my 1903 Springfield) that just takes longer-than-normal to operate, tell Alan (match director) and your target puller, and I'm sure there will be NO PROBLEM if your target remains in the air longer than the normal 60 or 70 seconds.

The push-back will come if you ask Alan to re-run the whole relay so you can try to get your jammomatic to not jam, or if you think your slow ass is going to somehow move faster if you get a complete do-over.
The fun matches are supposed to be fun, but not run-on until the middle of the afternoon.
So, no alibi strings.
Work it out with your target-puller in advance, or clear it and shoot it before your target disappears.

As for sighting systems, you can use whatever you want.
TASCO 6x18 with see-through rings on a Model 94... iron sights on an M44 Nagant... laser sight with infra-red goggles and AWACS air support... whatever.
Seriously, nobody cares what device you use for aiming during the fun match.

The only "aiming rule" is this:
You gotta be able to hit paper consistently at 200 yards.
It is not unreasonable for us to ask that you at least be able to shoot all your shots within 12 MOA.
If you are persistently shooting all over your neighbor's target, or shredding the berm in front of the target and blowing dirt all over the target pullers, or blasting holes in the range baffles, I'm gonna send you home.
I'm fed up with guys who show up from the gun show and think our club is the place where they can shoot up as many rounds as possible of steel-case Wolf ammo during the allotted live-fire period.
We haven't had much of that, but we have had a few. I'm putting an end to that sort of thing for sure.

All that said, I'm not giving anybody the boot for shooting the occasional "miss."
I'm guilty of my fair share of 195-yarders. It happens.
I'm pretty sure I put a round into one of the baffles last year too.
It just needs to not happen all the time.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#5]
"195 yarders"  

Yeah, I've shanked a few of those myself.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe I also hold the international record for the shot fired furthest from the shore of Lake Erie toward Canada.

After being a bit "too aggressive" on the trigger I turned to my scorer, and said, "Did you see that?"
He looked up at me with the stink-eye over the rim of his glasses, and said "Yep."
I said, "I hope the Canadian AWACS didn't pick that up. Don't bother calling for a mark unless you speak French. Just put an "M" down for that one, and we'll just keep that to ourselves."
He didn't object, so I quickly finished my remaining rounds, and I signed the embarrassing scorecard without further consultation.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Weather report for Saturday:

Not raining or snowing.

Sweet!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#8]
bummer... leading a church hike tomorrow

one of these days Ill cash in some brownie points and show up for a shoot...

What is the target size? Would hate to be turned away like a doof.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#9]
9-ring is size of dinner plate.

5-ring is size of wash tub.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a good day.

All firing on the 200-yard NRA SR target.

Shot the rapids in CMP style (standing-to-sitting, and standing-to-prone).

Was a bit worried about how the sitting position would treat me.
Not much prior practice on that position with the Garand.
The first sitting string was misplaced right, with too much elevation hanky-panky.
Second sitting string, with a click left on the knob, came together better with a tighter, and better-located group.
Pretty happy with how that worked out for me.

Offhand was decent.
Wish I hadn’t shot that damn 6.
I held the rifle entirely too long before breaking the shot, and was definitely “muscling” it when I finally let it go.
At least I bracketed it with a pair of 10’s.

Rapid prone would have benefitted from a sight adjustment on the first string.
One click up on the second string got better result.
Still plenty of room for improvement there.

Score on slow prone was decent.
Dark day made it hard to pick up the front sight as well as I would have liked.
Much of the mischief was in the form of elevation.

Cold weather and extra layers of clothes made 88 round of Greek 1988 “machine gun ammo” less punishing than usual.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top