Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 6:33:26 PM EDT
If I sell it to someone via the EE, and they live in Texas, for example, can I mail it myself to their FFL?  I see people posting comments such as "your FFL must accept from an individual".  School me on how this works.  I've got a Spikes Tactical stripped lower I don't need/want and figure the EE is the easiest place to sell/trade it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If I sell it to someone via the EE, and they live in Texas, for example, can I mail it myself to their FFL?  I see people posting comments such as "your FFL must accept from an individual".  School me on how this works.  I've got a Spikes Tactical stripped lower I don't need/want and figure the EE is the easiest place to sell/trade it.
View Quote

I've always asked for a copy the the ffl so I can see the address that I am sending the receiver to is in fact a ffl.

I have never called the ffl to see if they'll accept the package.  haven't had one sent back yet.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Makes sense, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Just make sure that you put a photocopy of your driver's license in the package. That way, the dealer on the other end knows who he got the receiver from.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just make sure that you put a photocopy of your driver's license in the package. That way, the dealer on the other end knows who he got the receiver from.
View Quote

Will do.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Will do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do.

and maybe a bill of sale or some sort of receipt so they know who should be coming in to pick it up.  Possibly a good reason to call ahead and give the dealer a heads up.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#7]
easy peasy,

It will fit in a small flat rate priority box,
insure it,

(cheaper to do online if you have an account at usps.com, and easy to get an account)

drop off at post office, they may or may not ask what you are mailing, if you say firearm, it may be helpful to have a copy of the FFL you are mailing it to, or not, depending, if you use click and ship, drop it in any mailbox,

you can go to the ATF ezcheck website to verify that it is a real FFL

linky for atf

mail to the premise address, not the business address, (they are sometimes different)

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
easy peasy,

It will fit in a small flat rate priority box,
insure it,

(cheaper to do online if you have an account at usps.com, and easy to get an account)

drop off at post office, they may or may not ask what you are mailing, if you say firearm, it may be helpful to have a copy of the FFL you are mailing it to, or not, depending, if you use click and ship, drop it in any mailbox,

you can go to the ATF ezcheck website to verify that it is a real FFL

linky for atf

mail to the premise address, not the business address, (they are sometimes different)

View Quote

I don't believe a non-ffl can mail a firearm handgun through the U.S. Mail.  It has to go common carrier.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Non-FFL dealers cannot mail firearms that are capable of being concealed on the person. If you put it in a small flat-rate box and tell the clerk that it's a firearm, they will not accept it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Non-FFL dealers cannot mail firearms that are capable of being concealed on the person. If you put it in a small flat-rate box and tell the clerk that it's a firearm, they will not accept it.
View Quote

Completely lost me there. Am I "Non-FFL dealer"?  And although a lower is technically a firearm, it doesn't meet the description you noted.

So, is this correct:

1) Call FFL, see if they will take it from me.
2) Get a copy of their FFL.
3) Mail to FFL address (verified via ATF website) using UPS as it's easier.
4) Include a copy of my Drivers License.
5) Include a copy of the email from purchaser so the FFL is 100% who it's for.
6) Ask purchaser for ID to create a bill of sale to serve as a receipt for their purchase (although the FFL will ensure they can own it).

Does that all seem like the process?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Completely lost me there. Am I "Non-FFL dealer"?  And although a lower is technically a firearm, it doesn't meet the description you noted.

So, is this correct:

6) Ask purchaser for ID to create a bill of sale to serve as a receipt for their purchase (although the FFL will ensure they can own it).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, is this correct:

I wouldn't mail it, but would send it UPS or FedEx. But you do as you please.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, is this correct:

^-------

Yeah, I was planning on using UPS (unless I sell/trade) it locally.  I didn't mean USPS mail.  I've never had UPS or FedEx lose a package, and I've had the post office lose two packages this calendar year alone.  Both packages under $15 value, but still.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
^-------

Yeah, I was planning on using UPS (unless I sell/trade) it locally.  I didn't mean USPS mail.  I've never had UPS or FedEx lose a package, and I've had the post office lose two packages this calendar year alone.  Both packages under $15 value, but still.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, is this correct:

^-------

Plan on going to a UPS 'hub' and not one of their franchise storefronts.  Those places typically won't accept firearms and are a pain in the ass.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Someone local wants to swap for ammo - which may just a good deal for us both.  I don't have to figure out how all this works.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#15]
'Machine parts'.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

'Machine parts'.
View Quote

Meh..if you go to a UPS hub they don't care that it is a firearm as long as it is going to an FFL.  I shipped a Sig 556 to a dealer in California and they didn't bat an eye, nor did they ask to see his FFL.

I would worry that the machine parts thing would lead to problems if the package was stolen or damaged and you tried to get the shipper to cover it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Meh..if you go to a UPS hub they don't care that it is a firearm as long as it is going to an FFL.  I shipped a Sig 556 to a dealer in California and they didn't bat an eye, nor did they ask to see his FFL.

I would worry that the machine parts thing would lead to problems if the package was stolen or damaged and you tried to get the shipper to cover it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
'Machine parts'.

You can bet that it would. First of all, the carrier would decline any reimbursement. And secondly, shippers are required by law to notify the carrier if the package contains a firearm. That lets ATF into the picture, which is something that none of us wants.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So, is this correct:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, is this correct:

UNless you have an FFL you are a "non-FFL."

USPS ONLY accepts long guns from non-FFLs.

A receiver is NOT a long gun.

An FFL CAN accept but does NOT have to accept from a non-FFL.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Lowcash Email me, how much you want to sell it for FTF
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Pm me for overwatch details.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#21]
1911nick offered me 300rnds of 9mm Federal, which I accepted.  I just bought a 9mm - my first of that caliber - so the swap made sense to me.

But I wanted to 1) thank everyone for their guidance, it will be useful in the future, and 2) state it was no longer available.

VA-gunnut will probably be along shortly to slap my nuts for discussing a trade in a non-EE forum.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top