Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 7:23:00 PM EDT

Wife and I went up today with the catfish and the colors are perfect. Fore those that are into this stuff, You do not have much time left. We ate at Big Meadows for lunch. Weather was mid 50's and the farther north we went, the cooler and windier it got. It got cold enough that we could see our breath on the balcony at the restaurant at Big Meadows. Wife did not run into any snakes this visit either, ha.

My ugly mug

The catfish

The further north we got, the windier it was. It was windy as **** up by Skyland. Wife trying to take a pic.

She was aggravated, ha ha

Our view coming out of the restaurant at Big Meadows

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful pics!  Took the train down to Charlottesville this weekend and did some hiking and apple picking.  Given how much rain the forest has gotten you may have another week or two of foliage.

Get out and enjoy!
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah. In 2 weeks we may drive up again and head south on the BlueRidge Parkway into the George Washington National Forest.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#5]
last time i was in the MTNs of western Va it was in the mid 20's(noon) and with the wind chill it was right frosty. it was so cold when we washed our jeeps off at one of those pressure washer places if you sprayed the water up in the air by the time it hit the ground it was frozen. that was late afternoon. been trying for years to get the wife to go out there but she is a beach person.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I was camping in the GW wilderness this weekend and hit the Apple Butter Festival in Tyro on Saturday. I always love the mountains this time of year. I also love fresh apple cider!

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I was backpacking on the east side of the park this weekend near the Rapidan.  Great weather.  Saw two snakes, only about 3 bugs.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Hiked in GW Forest at Signal Knob on Saturday.  Pretty excellent place.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

last time i was in the MTNs of western Va it was in the mid 20's(noon) and with the wind chill it was right frosty. it was so cold when we washed our jeeps off at one of those pressure washer places if you sprayed the water up in the air by the time it hit the ground it was frozen. that was late afternoon. been trying for years to get the wife to go out there but she is a beach person.
View Quote
Ha ha ha, my wife is a beach person and loves forcing me to go there each year for vacation.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I was camping in the GW wilderness this weekend and hit the Apple Butter Festival in Tyro on Saturday. I always love the mountains this time of year. I also love fresh apple cider!

View Quote
One of my customers today went to the apple festival this weekend and Lurray Caverns.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:06:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Wife, myself and the 2 sons used to make a fall trip in the motorhome for a weekend at Loft Mountain campground on Sky Line Drive every year. Camp ground is on top of the mountain and the deer walk thru the campsites in the evening with the skunks and coons coming out at night. We had many a frosty morning at that elevation. One summer we started on Blue Ridge Parkway at Waynesboro and went all the way to Bryson City near the end of the parkway. I was born in that area and my Dad and Mom grew up there, I've still got relatives around Bryson City. My dad worked on the southern end of the parkway with the CCC camps during the Depression.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ha ha ha, my wife is a beach person and loves forcing me to go there each year for vacation.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

we live on the eastern shore so beaches arent a problem. we are 20 mins from assateague on the Va side, 5 mins from a bay side beach and about an hour to Ocean City. we are 6 hours give or take from Blacksburge. one of these days i will get her out there, maybe when the kids are a little older.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I am only a 20 minute drive to Blue Ridge Parkway from where I work. Went up to Humpback Rocks on Tuesday. My mom's ashes were spread up there so I tend to hike up there once a month or so.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I am only a 20 minute drive to Blue Ridge Parkway from where I work. Went up to Humpback Rocks on Tuesday. My mom's ashes were spread up there so I tend to hike up there once a month or so.
View Quote
Sorry to hear.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry to hear.

It's no biggie, she passed in 93 so it's really nice to hike up there these days. Thanks though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top