Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2014 6:29:59 AM EDT
The prison (now a diversion work center) I retired from in Clark Co. is being closed and the surrounding  land (used to raise cattle) sold off to the highest bidder. Two others to get the axe too. Staff will mostly be laid off and not absorbed at other facilities my sources tell me.

Meh, it happens every few years or so when Virginia needs to save $$$ it's DOC that usually takes the biggest hit. Sorta rare that line staff will be laid-off and not absorbed though.

LOL....I guess they figure if the raise the price of booze they won't need the prisons/staff.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state-regional/va-to-cut-jobs-shut-powhatan-prison-to-close-money/article_49e6fd8d-2158-5879-aec3-4ac64ed9be0b.html
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Gee, Virginia, here's an idea.... close the damn state ABC stores and allow private enterprise to take over liquor sales. That way you get to collect the tax money with none of the expense of operating storefronts. And consumers get better choice because they are not limited to what the state chooses to sell. But I guess that's too simple.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Meh, it happens every few years or so when Virginia needs to save $$$ it's DOC that usually takes the biggest hit. Sorta rare that line staff will be laid-off and not absorbed though.

View Quote

They close correctional facilities and the employee suffers while at the same time, VADOC has one of the larger budgets for I.T. related projects in the Commonwealth .(along with VDOT)
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gee, Virginia, here's an idea.... close the damn state ABC stores and allow private enterprise to take over liquor sales. That way you get to collect the tax money with none of the expense of operating storefronts. And consumers get better choice because they are not limited to what the state chooses to sell. But I guess that's too simple.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL....The VA ABC made 250 million in net profit last year. You don't shoot the cash cow.

BTW....They are cutting 9 sex offender monitor positions and not filling vacant VASP positions.

Sigh, looks like the "bad old days" are back for public safety. It happens almost every time a Dem is in office.

Quoted:
They close correctional facilities and the employee suffers while at the same time, VADOC has one of the larger budgets for I.T. related projects in the Commonwealth .(along with VDOT)

Yeah DOC has always been "top heavy" in Richmond but try to find one of those jerks at work on a Friday after they earn eight hours of leave....Sick or annual.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The prison (now a diversion work center) I retired from
View Quote

Wait a minute... when they let someone out of prison they now call it a "retirement"?

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wait a minute... when they let someone out of prison they now call it a "retirement"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The prison (now a diversion work center) I retired from

As long as the checks keep coming in call it what you like.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL why give up that cash cow?

1/2 gallon Knob Creek
Virginia - $69.90
Kentucky - $52.50

That is $17.40 a half gallon that VA puts in their pocket and now they want to raise prices further?  

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Nova people: Is Dixie Liquors still around? I'll bet that they are ecstatic. Along with the PGC liquor stores.

I fondly remember trips across the river to the PG liquor shacks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, it seems that every time a Democrat is elected to the governorship in Virginia, we all of a sudden have a "budget crisis".
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

1/2 gallon Knob Creek
Virginia - $69.90
Kentucky - $52.50

That is $17.40 a half gallon that VA puts in their pocket and now they want to raise prices further?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1/2 gallon Knob Creek
Virginia - $69.90
Kentucky - $52.50

What, you think that FSA K-12 money grows on trees?

The Dems claim the reason for the cuts is so they don't have to cut K-12 school funding..... Fo de childrenz don't you know.

Never mind the real reason was because Virginia sucked at the DC tit and now that tit has dried up. These are the same ass-holes that think it's a fine idea to expand Medicaid in Virginia.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Well that sucks for the locals.  Hard to believe we don't need the space.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess we can expect the rest stops to get closed again soon.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#12]
When the prison closed in Mecklenburg, it hit the local economy pretty hard. I'm pretty sure most of those CO's were offered the opportunity to transfer, but then they're all looking at an hour drive, at minimum, or having to move. Tough call in a rural area, where most people grew up there and their family lives nearby.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#13]
But yet people in that area will still vote democrat...
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, You can't fix STUPID!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nova people: Is Dixie Liquors still around? I'll bet that they are ecstatic. Along with the PGC liquor stores.

View Quote

Dixie Liquors, now there's a blast from the past.

Made many a trip across the WW bridge to a liquor store on Indian Head Hwy, we looked old enough so it was all good.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Why would anyone expect anything diff'nt from a tax and spend  "D" like Gov. McAsshat??
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why would anyone expect anything diff'nt from a politician tax and spend  "D" like Gov. McAsshat??
View Quote

Don't forget our last tax raising R governor.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When the prison closed in Mecklenburg, it hit the local economy pretty hard. I'm pretty sure most of those CO's were offered the opportunity to transfer, but then they're all looking at an hour drive, at minimum, or having to move. Tough call in a rural area, where most people grew up there and their family lives nearby.
View Quote

In the past when they close a prison many folks have had to make that decision but at least they had one to make. Not so this go round for anyone but SGTs and above.

I guess the line staff that are nearing retirement are fucked unless they take a early out which means at least a 50% cut in a mere penance of a retirement. They will be lucky to cover their monthly heath insurance cost if they have a family.

At least some of them might be able to transfer their benefits if they get hired at a regional jail that just opened about five miles away. They are hiring.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Made many a trip across the WW bridge to a liquor store on Indian Head Hwy, we looked old enough so it was all good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Montgomery County liquor stores for the win.
They are county controlled,but have the best prices. In the DC area.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can’t fix stupid. You can’t fix a neutered dog, you can’t fix a garage door, and hey, you can’t fix stupid. • Si Robertson
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't drink alcohol but this pisses me off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top