Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2014 10:19:11 AM EDT
Heads-up for anyone hunting that area, or even if you have a bit of land, watch for this critter on a game camera.  Toll so far is 20+ sheep and goats, and two horses.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll be on the look-out tonight! Heard about it yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#2]
[big_kitteh_troofers] But..but..but.... there are no large cats in the Shenandoah area... it must be a coyote!! [/big_kitteh_troofers]

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Like full size horses?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Here Kitty Kitty
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd swear there was one in Markham about 4 years ago.  Some of the old timers swear they'd seen it.

Had 2 3-350lb Holstein steers killed in a feed lot and drug over a board fence about 200 yards in the woods.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I had heard of an up tick in bear maulings to include a mule or 2 in North Fauquier in the last year, but it appears to correlate to terrible nut mass last season.  This sounds entirely different.  With that many livestock attacked there should be ample evidence of the predator, if not some patterning to intercept this thing.  Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Reports are that it is a black cat smaller than a Great Dane. Local game warden wants it dead or alive.
I haven't seen any pictures yet.
Game cams deployed at my goat barn.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reports are that it is a black cat smaller than a Great Dane. Local game warden wants it dead or alive.
View Quote

Black panthers are often confused with black jaguars or extremely melanistic pumas.  Not say either couldn't possibly be on the loose, but those are some insane odds to bet on.  All those attacks have provided what physical evidence? I've never heard VDGIF recognize big cats here, any quotes from the warden?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Black panthers are often confused with black jaguars or extremely melanistic pumas.  Not say either couldn't possibly be on the loose, but those are some insane odds to bet on.  All those attacks have provided what physical evidence? I've never heard VDGIF recognize big cats here, any quotes from the warden?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black jaguars are black panthers as are black leopards....they're both of the panthera genus.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Black jaguars are black panthers as are black leopards....they're both of the panthera genus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess we are saying the samething.  There is a melanistic puma, just like we have black gray squirrels, but I'm not even entertaining the idea b/c if even lions exist here, there isn't enough of a population to sensibly consider such rare recessive traits.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

At least your game warden is willing to admit it exists.  WV DNR just said "there are no big cats in the state".
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:17:04 AM EDT
[#12]
All my info is coming from people on, ahem, Facebook. It sounds like maybe this cat escaped from someone. There used to be small zoo called Wilson's Petting Zoo near Winchester but I would think if a big cat escaped their would be some "official" announcement.
I highly doubt this is a truly wild black panther.
Nothing on my cams this morning but the goats.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Wilson's is still there, I took my daughter over the summer.  I remember seeing a lion and tiger, but no black panther-type big cats.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Like full size horses?
View Quote

This is what I'm wondering. I know people have those miniature horses that are good size for a cat to take.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd swear there was one in Markham about 4 years ago.  Some of the old timers swear they'd seen it.

Had 2 3-350lb Holstein steers killed in a feed lot and drug over a board fence about 200 yards in the woods.
View Quote

That sounds more like a bear than a big cat.

However I have a buddy that has property near Hillsboro, they have seen big cat tracks and found deer kills that look like they were committed by a cat.  So I believe there are some in VA.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

However I have a buddy that has property near Hillsboro, they have seen big cat tracks and found deer kills that look like they were committed by a cat.  So I believe there are some in VA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd have thought the same, but I've never known a bear to haul one over a fence.  The ones I've seen, and the few I've taken aren't big enough to do it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:32:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh man, I happen to know some folks with 550 acres out there....
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:41:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Over the mountain in P'ville.  I'll get my camera going again.  Did get a coyote on it last winter, and small cats.

Three years ago my neighbor called saying she just saw a big cat behind her house.  Armed with my video camera and ran over that way,  only to find deer playing in a field.  I tracked through all the muddy areas looking for prints.  Nothing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Seen a Mountain Lion with my own two eyes on the High Knob Trail north of Little Stoney Falls in Wise County few years back.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:45:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Did it look like this?

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#21]
The "big cat" that doesn't exist is killing things with it's mind??! That is insane! Inconceivable!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Between the 2 legged and 4 legged critters I am always armed when I go to the mountains.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top