Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2014 6:05:27 PM EDT
I need to get my outdoor Jones taken care of. I used to live in Colorado and had easy access to public land. I owned property there as well, and knew and trusted the area near my place.

I have hiked Old Rag once. I want to expand and maybe do a section of the Appalachian Trail for a weekend, like one day out and one day back. I'm not sure where a good trailhead is, and more importantly I have no idea how much I can trust the parking locations. I think it might be an issue in a high-traffic public area.

So, where should I get introduced to some hiking and camping areas that I can trust? Thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Where are you located ?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Spotsylvania
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Hit the AT head either outside of Front Royal, Va on Rt 522 and go east to Mosby's Shelter or you can hit the head on Rt.55 outside of Linden, Va and it will take you to the same place.

Better yet is to take two vehicles, park one where you want to go in and one where you want to come out. I suggest going in at Linden, camping at Mosby's Shelter, and coming out at Front Royal.

At one time there was a large antebellum home there (barely a foundation left now) that was used as a hospital after the local Battle of Manassas Gap (Wapping Heights). It was also used as a "safe house" by Mosby's men when they raided along the Manassas Gap RR and that is how it got it's name.

There is a slave graveyard 100 yards north of the spring where both Union and Confederate soldiers that died of their wounds were buried. It's all grown over now but in the winter you can see some of the head and foot stones made of local rock slabs.

In the 70s (before it was logged and many were knocked over) I counted over 70 graves. Of course I can't say how many were slaves and how many were soldiers.

http://www.topoquest.com/place-detail.php?id=1470773

You can see how Mosby's Shelter is sorta halfway between Rt. 55 and Rt. 522

http://virginia.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,2,fid,1470773,n,mosby%20shelter.cfm
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Their is a Trailhead at or very close to Crabtree Falls near Tyro off SR56.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Rt 50 to Rt 7?  Great parking right off 7.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out this website..  Lots of trails, pictures, and reviews....

Hiking Upward
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#7]
never had an issue parking the car on skyline. Man over nighters and 2+ nighters where we were in the woods/valley nowhere close to the car
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I need to get my outdoor Jones taken care of. I used to live in Colorado and had easy access to public land. I owned property there as well, and knew and trusted the area near my place.

I have hiked Old Rag once. I want to expand and maybe do a section of the Appalachian Trail for a weekend, like one day out and one day back. I'm not sure where a good trailhead is, and more importantly I have no idea how much I can trust the parking locations. I think it might be an issue in a high-traffic public area.

So, where should I get introduced to some hiking and camping areas that I can trust? Thanks for the suggestions.
View Quote

You will be sorely disappointed by the outdoors hear. Makes me miss New Mexico sometimes.

Appalachian Trail is well known and traveled. If you can arrange transportation, there's a 43 mile stretch that runs  through 4 states. Called the AT 4 State challenge.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info. I'd rather not involve my wife in drop-off and pick-up to manage the car situation, as I've always been independent in my outdoor activities. If break-ins are not common, I guess I'll give parking a try.

I may have to search for places less travelled than the AT in VA.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#10]
also depends on time of the year... Now? theres gonna be alot of people... winter? you'll be alone... We did an over nighter 3 weeks ago and saw probably 40+ people in the 20mi we did. We did a 30+ miler in March a few years ago... didnt see a SOUL!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#11]
That's what I liked about the area I camped in Colorado - hardly ever saw anyone. The national forest is large enough to accommodate a lot of people doing various activities, with a lot of space in between.

I would like to hike VA to see fall colors but I know it will be full of people. I do have the gear for the colder seasons, though, and could give that a try.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's what I liked about the area I camped in Colorado - hardly ever saw anyone. The national forest is large enough to accommodate a lot of people doing various activities, with a lot of space in between.

I would like to hike VA to see fall colors but I know it will be full of people. I do have the gear for the colder seasons, though, and could give that a try.
View Quote

the further in you go the less people you will see, If you are close to any of the entrances it will be populated. Drive a little bit, hit some of the less-popular routes... enjoy...

You could vastly reduce your chances of running into people by hammock camping. You can camp where others can't. We just discovered hangin' this year... revolutionized our outdoor experience... if I hadnt paid so much for them... I would burn my tents....

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I've seen hammock setups but have never done it. Very intriguing idea.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Trust me... consequences will never be the same... especially when you realize you can home brew 99% of your gear for 10% of the cost...

Hammockforums.net is the arfcom of hangin
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:19:04 AM EDT
[#15]
There's also a large parking lot and AT trailhead off 211 and Skyline, going through Sperryville.  Wife and I were just there hiking last weekend.

Zach
Top Top