Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2014 5:50:15 AM EDT
on gun registration and who should own AR15s

Hymes: "I don't think you ought to be able to sell somebody an AR-15, either. Because, law enforcement should have those kinds.  We've had to give our law enforcement in Tazewell County AR-15s because, you know, they go up a holler, some guy's got one. He's bought one. Virginia's gun laws are pretty doggone liberal."

"I do believe you ought to register handguns, we ought to have something. If they had not let that assault rifle ban drop, then that probably  wouldn't be a problem. So that's kinda where I am."
View Quote

a little background
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Hymes: "I don't think you ought to be able to sell somebody an AR-15, either. Because, law enforcement should have those kinds.  We've had to give our law enforcement in Tazewell County AR-15s because, you know, they go up a holler, some guy's got one. He's bought one. Virginia's gun laws are pretty doggone liberal."

"I do believe you ought to register handguns, we ought to have something. If they had not let that assault rifle ban drop, then that probably  wouldn't be a problem. So that's kinda where I am."
View Quote

a little background
View Quote

What a dick.  Believe what you believe, but don't be a snake about it.  VCDL should send out a blast on this clown.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Screw it, I just emailed the VCDL.  Let them have fun with this knucklehead.

I'll bet while he's against AR-15's he'd be OK with a 'semi-automatic .223 hunting rifle'.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#3]
VCDL already did a blast about this, about a week ago right after he made those comments.

Democrat Mike Hymes, who is running for Phil Puckett’s Virginia Senate seat in the 38th district, answered the VCDL Candidate Survey Very Pro-Gun.   HOWEVER, a recent recording has come to light where Mr. Hymes says he believes that HANDGUNS OUGHT TO BE REGISTERED and that AR-15 RIFLES SHOULD NOT BE SOLD TO ANYONE BUT LAW ENFORCEMENT!

After listening to the recording (link to the recording is below), it sounds like Mike Hymes is of the mindset that the only good guns are hunting guns.  In fact on the recording he says, “I’m not against registration of handguns.  Because you don’t go hunting with handguns.”  Mike also says that, “Virginia gun laws are pretty dog-gone liberal,” as if that’s a bad thing.

On the recording, he also laments that the assault weapon ban sunsetted.   Mike may know something about hunting and hunting guns, but he doesn’t know anything about the “assault weapon” ban.  It was nothing but about pure cosmetics.  During the ban a person could buy a gun, like a Ruger Mini-14, that could shoot the same type and same number of rounds as an AR-15.  The Mini-14 could shoot the rounds just as fast and just as accurately, but simply didn’t look like a military gun.  It was a really bad joke played on the American People and, apparently, Mike Hymes.

Clearly, Mike's support for the "assault weapons ban" and his statement that AR-15 rifles should not be sold to anyone but law enforcement conflict with his answer to Question 10 on the VCDL Candidate Survey (http://www.vcdl.org/survey_2014_ga) in which he said he would oppose all gun bans.

Let’s contact the Mike Hymes’s campaign and politely, but firmly, insist that Mike 1) take a public stand against gun registration and gun bans and 2) apologize to the voters in his district for even considering either one..

The Hymes campaign telephone number is:  276-385-1951

Mike Hymes's email address is:   [email protected]

To send Mike Hymes a message using webmail:  http://www.vote4hymes.com/contact-mike/

Running against Mike Hymes is Republican Ben Chafin ([email protected]), who is endorsed by the VCDL-PAC and turned in a very pro-gun VCDL survey, and also Independent Rick Mullins ([email protected]), who also turned in a very pro-gun VCDL survey.

Here is the audio recording of Mike Hymes.  It is a little hard to understand because of the background noise, but the key parts are clear enough.  The gun-control discussion begins at the 9:30 minute:second mark with the question being asked to Mike, “My brother was at Virginia Tech when all the shootings happened.  What can we do to stop that?":

https://vcdl.org/sites/default/files/Hymes.m4a
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't believe someone from that part of the state, even a democrat, would be dumb enough to say things like that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
VCDL already did a blast about this, about a week ago right after he made those comments.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can't believe someone from that part of the state, even a democrat, would be dumb enough to say things like that.
View Quote

Well to be fair Mcawful run on an anti-gun platform and we know how that turned out.  

But yeah down there that is stuuuuupid!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#7]
THe only thing you needed to know is that he's a DEMOCRAT.

Why are y'all surprised ?

With Repub's, it's a crap shoot.. too quote Forrest Gump "You never know what ya gonna get" !

The stupidity of some people amazes me..

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If you gentleman don't mind a Yankee chiming in here; nip this in the bud if at all possible!  I have watched CT go from a prosperous, middle of the road politically state - to a leftist colony that will never be great again.  The past 20 years have seen the Democrats take over and dominate our state, and there are few that will say it is for the better!  I was looking at VA for when I retire in a couple of years, but looks like you guys are soon to follow the "Unconstitutional State".
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]
He also lied on his VCDL survey
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you gentleman don't mind a Yankee chiming in here; nip this in the bud if at all possible!  I have watched CT go from a prosperous, middle of the road politically state - to a leftist colony that will never be great again.  The past 20 years have seen the Democrats take over and dominate our state, and there are few that will say it is for the better!  I was looking at VA for when I retire in a couple of years, but looks like you guys are soon to follow the "Unconstitutional State".
View Quote

Unfortunately the FSA and the federal FSA of NOVA and the other large cities have turned Va reliably blue in federal elections and a purple state on the local level (yes I know we control the house by a huge majority).

The VCDL is the main reason we have the gun rights we do and hopefully can continue with forward momentum.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Unfortunately the FSA and the federal FSA of NOVA and the other large cities have turned Va reliably blue in federal elections and a purple state on the local level (yes I know we control the house by a huge majority).

The VCDL is the main reason we have the gun rights we do and hopefully can continue with forward momentum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I'm joining the next chance I get.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:16:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is just another sign how far to the left this state has swung.  It isn't just NOVA any more.  Liberalism has effected the brains of many people all over this state.  The more that keep moving here from up north, the worse it gets.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is just another sign how far to the left this state has swung.  It isn't just NOVA any more.  Liberalism has effected the brains of many people all over this state.  The more that keep moving here from up north, the worse it gets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I moved here from Boston, and I can assure you that I swung this state to the right. But I'm probably the exception.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:55:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please don't paint all Northerners with the same brush!  As noted in this thread, the large urban population centers breed the Leftists, no matter where they are located.  CT's cities are totally dominated by the Democratic Left, but if you go into the suburbs, the ratios flip dramatically in most areas.  Those of us who can no longer deal with the Democratic Parties principles of social engineering, political correctness, wealth re-distribution, and subversion of individual rights to strengthen the central government are fleeing as fast as we can.

I lived in VA for a year each on two different occasions.  Once in Alexandria, and once in Charlottesville.  I too noticed the difference (although C'ville has the liberal influence of the college).  

Rest assured, if I move to VA, it will in no way shape or form help to swing VA to a more Democratic state!
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:36:49 AM EDT
[#15]
The damn yankess on this board aren't the ones we worry about.  You all left because you were smart.  Same thing happened to Colorado with the Californication.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:56:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The damn yankess on this board aren't the ones we worry about.  You all left because you were smart.  Same thing happened to Colorado with the Californication.
View Quote

We worry about them too!!!!!!!!!!  We don't want them to follow us any more then you want them to come!  You move away from a place because you are unhappy with it.  It makes no sense for them to then turn around and try to make the new place just like the one they just left!  Oh, that's right, then KNOW better than us!
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I moved here from Boston Chicago, and I can assure you that I swung this state to the right. But I'm probably the exception.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I moved here from Boston Chicago, and I can assure you that I swung this state to the right. But I'm probably the exception.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#18]
He's as likely to get elected as Obama is to win a popularity contest in Nebraska.

I won't call Chafin a lock, but that district has become increasingly red over the last 12 years. Surprising given the amount of union workers who reside there.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are even people that don't identify themselves as liberal or anti-gun, but remain a threat to essential liberty.  We have ourselves a quagmire with freedom sucking from all directions.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#20]
The gun rights' issue stands on its own. It has nothing to do with "liberalism" or "conservatism" on other matters, such as economics.

One can be an economic "liberal" (a Keynesian, for example) and still be in favor of gun rights.

As gun owners, we should broaden our coalition as much as possible, and not turn away people based on their positions on other issues.

That said, I'm voting straight Republican for the foreseeable future, because the Democrats' push for gun control has made me a single-issue voter. But I'm still a "liberal" on other (economic) issues.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The gun rights' issue stands on its own. It has nothing to do with "liberalism" or "conservatism" on other matters, such as economics.One can be an economic "liberal" (a Keynesian, for example) and still be in favor of gun rights.

As gun owners, we should broaden our coalition as much as possible, and not turn away people based on their positions on other issues.

That said, I'm voting straight Republican for the foreseeable future, because the Democrats' push for gun control has made me a single-issue voter. But I'm still a "liberal" on other (economic) issues.
View Quote

As pro gun as Virginia is considered, you'd think our past governor election should have been won on this alone.  Add in Obama-Care, Big-gov, cronysim and that fact that we took a poorly known NY transplant over a homegrown man that would counter all that .........perhaps Virginians really aren't that firm on the 2A.  Good thing we have some effective representation from a few. I would absolutely think the Liberal agenda swayed poorly informed and EMOTIONAL (liberal trademark) voters.....guns be dammed.  Glad you are more grounded in the 2A, but I wouldn't automatically just vote Rs or who the NRA endorses (remember Cantor).  

I won't even touch your liberal minded economics without us chugging a few beers
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#22]
As pro gun as Virginia is considered, you'd think our past governor election should have been won on this alone. Add in Obama-Care, Big-gov, cronysim and that fact that we took a poorly known NY transplant over a homegrown man that would counter all that .........perhaps Virginians really aren't that firm on the 2A. Good thing we have some effective representation from a few. I would absolutely think the Liberal agenda swayed poorly informed and EMOTIONAL (liberal trademark) voters.....guns be damned.
View Quote

Even though I voted for him, I blame Cuccinelli's loss on.... Cuccinelli. Not necessarily on what he did during the campaign, but on who he was. He had a social-conservative record (other than on guns) that was out of step with most Virginia voters. It was an election between two undesirable candidates. In the end, people didn't vote for McAuliffe; they voted against Cuccinelli. The lesson here is that if the Republicans had nominated a more "mainstream" candidate, they would have won. It's the nomination process that is flawed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Cuch didn't have the support of the Repub machine and had a lot silly lib propaganda like a war on women that distracted from substance. My concern remains with how easily duped people are.   You are the rare bird that got over what stigma you believed about Cuch and voted on principle.....that's respectable. The gov election showed at the heart of matter social engineering from bleeding heart libs and totally uniformed libertarian in name only voters are prevalent enough that gun rights issues can easily take a backseat to  social matters.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Even though I voted for him, I blame Cuccinelli's loss on.... Cuccinelli. Not necessarily on what he did during the campaign, but on who he was. He had a social-conservative record (other than on guns) that was out of step with most Virginia voters. It was an election between two undesirable candidates. In the end, people didn't vote for McAuliffe; they voted against Cuccinelli. The lesson here is that if the Republicans had nominated a more "mainstream" candidate, they would have won. It's the nomination process that is flawed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
As pro gun as Virginia is considered, you'd think our past governor election should have been won on this alone. Add in Obama-Care, Big-gov, cronysim and that fact that we took a poorly known NY transplant over a homegrown man that would counter all that .........perhaps Virginians really aren't that firm on the 2A. Good thing we have some effective representation from a few. I would absolutely think the Liberal agenda swayed poorly informed and EMOTIONAL (liberal trademark) voters.....guns be damned.

I don't think it's as simple as "mainstream" vs. "conservative".  I think there are a lot of voters out there waiting for a candidate who is "conservative" on economic issues and "liberal" or "mainstream" in the sense that they don't oppose gay marriage and they aren't trying to ban abortions or certain forms of birth control that they believe are equivalent to an abortion.  In the meantime, they are forced to choose between hardcore social conservatives like Cucinelli and squishy RINOs who stand for nothing except the Chamber of Commerce's agenda and getting themselves elected.  I don't think guns really factor into the voting decisions of most people out there - sometimes that's good for us and sometimes it's bad.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:07:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm the same way in watching California, my home state. It's going to Hell in the past 30 years.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This has become the problem in a lot of states.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#27]
He sounds even less literate and intelligent than tim kane (timmaaaaaaaah).

Quoted:

View Quote

a little background
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey this election is tomorrow so you people there better go vote.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:03:11 AM EDT
[#29]
If anyone missed it, Chafin won with 59%-60% of the vote.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:12:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:57:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Terry is not happy this morning.  I bet he is really wishing hard that the FBI investigation turns up some dirt on Puckett's resignation.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Terry is not happy this morning.  I bet he is really wishing hard that the FBI investigation turns up some dirt on Puckett's resignation.
View Quote

fuck Terry the carpet bagger !!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't get the Va love affair with carpet bagging asshats. I mean, I do, but come on NoVa and the beach. And Roanoke and Suffolk.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:43:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't get the Va love affair with carpet bagging asshats. I mean, I do, but come on NoVa and the beach. And Roanoke and Suffolk.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free shit trumps all. That is the love affair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top