Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2014 5:27:55 AM EDT
A friend here at work just passed me a big magazine called "Shotgun News".  There are tons of ads in the back and one is for "One of a kind militaria" at the AAF Tank Museum on 29 in Danville, VA.  That's like 4 hours from me, but I'm always interested in crazy road trips.

Anyone been?  Is this an ACTUAL tank museum or just some Army/Navy surplus store?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
An actual museum - they do have a web site
If you like tanks, APC's etc check them out
They used to have a big weekend when they got all the tanks out in to the field - held maneuvers - rides and so forth
they no longer do this I understand because of cost
All volunteers no government money involved
Just the rebuilding of the tanks is impressive.
Makes a great day trip
My BIL is a big tank and tank battle guy - I keep trying to get him to volunteer there to help with the renovations of the tanks but my sister and I feel he would be more  of a hindrance than and help (not real handy with the tools)
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Alright, that sounds like it could be a good day trip, then.  Maybe try and find a nice place to shoot enroute.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:23:28 AM EDT
[#3]
There's a place in Aden that has a bunch of restored armored vehicles and other stuff.  Also Abeerdeen Proving Grounds has a decent museum and static display of a bunch of tanks, armored vehicles and artillery.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a place in Aden that has a bunch of restored armored vehicles and other stuff.  Also Abeerdeen Proving Grounds has a decent museum and static display of a bunch of tanks, armored vehicles and artillery.
View Quote

The place in Aden is the Virginia Museum of Military vehicles.  Their annual open house is on October 4-5 this year.

Tank Farm
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The place in Aden is the Virginia Museum of Military vehicles.  Their annual open house is on October 4-5 this year.

Tank Farm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tank Farm

That's right around the corner!  I'm there.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah, Shotgun News has been around a loooong time.
View Quote

Never heard of it.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IIRC, the museum in Danville doesn't allow weapons, so keep that in mind.
View Quote

Hmmm.... don't ever remember seeing any signs.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Or cameras, as I recall.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Their Rules Page

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Their Rules Page

Bummer... way too far of a drive to deal with all those rules.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Read a news article saying they are moving out of state soon. If you want to go, you better make it sooner than later.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is the information on the Tank Farm open house in October. They are in the process of building a permanent museum in Dale City.

http://www.nmaw.org/
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here is the information on the Tank Farm open house in October. They are in the process of building a permanent museum in Dale City.
http://www.nmaw.org/
View Quote

Well then, that's a reasonable distance for me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their Rules cutely, they have Pagerecall correctly

If I recall correctly they have a metal detector at the entrance.  The owner open carries, but no one else can.  I believe they moved to Danville from NY.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Read a news article saying they are moving out of state soon. If you want to go, you better make it sooner than later.
View Quote

Came here to post this... they won't be around here for too much longer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Well Danville isn't exactly a hot tourist destination.  After they stopped having their extravaganza weekends there really wasn't much draw for a lot of people.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Okay - my bust.

There are two different places being discussed here - the place in Danville, which doesn't allow flash photography or weapons,
and Allan Cors place in Gainesville, VMMV, aka "The Tank Farm" which is more of an open house type of place.

Never been to the Danville place, while I've been all over the VMMV site, both public and other.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I have been to the Danville museum, I had to go lock my gun n the car.  I had a good time.  The owner was riding around on a tricycle bike and he was open carrying.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If I recall correctly they have a metal detector at the entrance.  The owner open carries, but no one else can.  I believe they moved to Danville from NY.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their Rules cutely, they have Pagerecall correctly

His pissy attitude was enough to turn me off from ever making a return trip. What a giant dickhead.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have been to the Danville museum, I had to go lock my gun n the car.  I had a good time.  The owner was riding around on a tricycle bike and he was open carrying.
View Quote

The visual of that had me laughing pretty hard.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait till he breaks out the air powered artillery and starts firing tennis balls for the kids.
The dude pretty much is his own security guard, and trikes around chastising people for violating his various written (and unwritten) rules. He's definitely got the "Willy Wonka weirdo genius" vibe going.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#23]

A co-worker told me this is a GREAT show. He has gone for the last 3 – 4 years and every year has been different. All kinds of re-enactors that LOVE to talk about and show off their collections. Schedule the time now for a FREE day or two of living history. Sign up for their newsletter to keep updated on upcoming event schedule.

Americans in Wartime Museum

OPEN HOUSE: October 4 and 5

http://www.nmaw.org/events/
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A co-worker told me this is a GREAT show. He has gone for the last 3 – 4 years and every year has been different. All kinds of re-enactors that LOVE to talk about and show off their collections. Schedule the time now for a FREE day or two of living history. Sign up for their newsletter to keep updated on upcoming event schedule.

Americans in Wartime Museum
OPEN HOUSE: October 4 and 5

http://www.nmaw.org/events/

View Quote

IN.  That's 15 minutes from my house.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Also Abeerdeen Proving Grounds has a decent museum and static display of a bunch of tanks, armored vehicles and artillery.
View Quote

FYI, Aberdeen Proving Grounds used to have a great static display of lots of tanks, artillery pieces, a railway gun, etc., but all of that was moved down to Fort Lee with the latest BRAC moves.  Now it's just an open field with one or two artillery pieces left.

Supposedly the Army Ordnance Museum will reopen at Fort Lee, but who knows when/if it will ever happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top