Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2014 5:27:39 PM EDT
I just got a fishing kayak about a week ago.  My son and his friends have been fishing out of them for a year or more.

Planning on hitting a few of the local small lakes  (Amelia, Powhatan, Nottoway) to get comfortable with it.  Then the plan is to spend some time on the Appomatox River above Lake Chesdin, maybe the Nottoway, west of I-95 and eventually the James above Maidens Landing.

Anyone here having fun fishing out of these things?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I do plenty of kayak fishing, but not in those areas.  Check out kayakbassfishing.com and snaggedline.com.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, in the NOVA area.  I'll be going out to the OC area in a few weeks.  

One of these days I'll get down to the VA Beach area since I've got some step-siblings that moved to Pungo earlier this year.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:34:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm actually going to go and pick up my new fishing yak today.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 12' fishing kayak and fish Powhatan lakes, the upper James around Howardsville and also from the new Powhatan state park down to Maidens. It is a lot of fun. Some of the rapids in the upper James can be a challenge if you get crossed up sideways on a rock in the swift water. Very difficult to get back into it if water is deeper than 2 '. They are easy to paddle and a 3 # catfish on a small rod can tow you against the current...LOL.I  Iive in Powhatan also so it is convenient.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:05:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Pelican fishing yak and use it frequently in and around the Elizabeth River.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I kayak fish all over the Potomac from an inflatable kayak.  I love it!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
We went to Amelia Lake today.  I didn't catch anything but I got some more experience.

Saw a big fish up in the shallows but couldn't make out what it was.  Looked to be 2 to 2.5 feet long and may 4 or 5 inches wide.  It was swimming away.  I assumed it was a big carp.

Got hung on a tree top out in the main lake and had to rock/paddle my way off it.  Good experience for the river I hope.

My son caught a few small bass and bluegill and one fish that he said sort of looked like a cross between a crappie and bluegill but it had red eyes.  He was fishing a small brown crickhopper in shallow water.

I'd like to scout the put ins/take outs on the Appomattox River up around the same place where Amelia Lake is and try to do a float trip next weekend.

I noticed last trip how cranking a spinner bait through the water will turn the front of the kayak.  Today I told my son I was going to pull myself across the lake with a spinner bait (double Colorado blades).  Just below the fishing dock it took me 97 casts to pull the kayak across at that point.  Wasn't catching anything anyway, but it was tiring.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Ride 115x and try to get out when ever I can. If you are on FB search Virginia Kayak Anglers and join http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz145/kirk22-250/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/848C2E63-F149-46D6-80AC-2744272BCE00_zps6cc9numn.jpg
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Have a Jackson Kilroy and love the hell out of it. Got it in the Spring after using my Old Town Loon 138 for 15 years.

What a difference having a kayak set up for fishing though I did love my Loon.

I fish lakes and rivers  in Augusta and Albemarle County mostly...though I do hit Briery and Sandy River Res a few times a year.

We should have a kayak fishing get together somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:45:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Those areas are local to me, but I don't have a fishing kayak. Looks like fun though!
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a regular ole kayak from Dick's that I want to try fishing out of.  I have a rod mount and paddle mount I need to attach.  If I like it I will upgrade to a regular fishing kayak.  I am in Va BEach if anyone wants to get together...  My gear is light weight so I woud prefer fresh water, but I have a dual liense.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been scoping out the Appomattox and Nottoway Rivers on the internet (google earth) and I'm looking forward to fishing both of them in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Had mine out this weekend on the Susky outside Harrisburg PA and picked up this beauty (and 8 friends):

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I just fished the A river in Hopewell the other day...nothing was biting.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#15]
My buddies kayak at the huegenot bridge put in and fish up to the dam

Also maidens up is great smallie

Best kayak smallmouth is the new river near Radford ammo.    Most 5lb plus I have ever caught
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top