Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2014 2:51:56 AM EDT
A couple of times a month, some asshole steals the newspaper out of the newspaper box at the end of my driveway. The paper gets delivered sometime around 4AM, but the son of a bitch thief gets it before I can get to it about 630 or so.
There are a bunch of trees between my house and the end if the curving driveway, so I can neither see nor hear it when the bastard takes my paper. If it happened every day, or several times a week, then I'd just get up early and lie in wait for the cocksucker. But I don't relish the idea of getting up every morning for two or three weeks and sitting out in the car waiting for the hippy weirdo freak commie pervert degenerate pinko punk bastard fag bedwetter to come along and snag my paper.
Any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:08:47 AM EDT
[#1]
wireless game camera and review the footage daily?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:36:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't even need to review footage daily, just review it when the paper is missing.

You might find out that the delivery guy isn't dropping off your paper.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#3]
This, I would start calling for a replacement anyhow.  Review on the days that its missing, maybe the driver is having a bad day/late night and missing every now and then.

Quoted:

Don't even need to review footage daily, just review it when the paper is missing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No place to put the camera without it being seen (and stolen?).
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would start calling for a replacement anyhow.  Review on the days that its missing, maybe the driver is having a bad day/late night and missing every now and then.

View Quote

I've had the same paper delivery guy for 11 years. Very nice guy.

I've talked to him about this, and he says that several other people on my road regularly report missing papers that he knows he delivered. I'm going to work on this, and catch that bastard. Will post after-action report when I catch him.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
lol newspapers
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
lol newspapers
View Quote

???

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have lock boxes and if you mount them high in a tree they are tough to steal.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#9]
put a paper stuffed with dogshit in there and hope he takes that one?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like you.  

Dog poop might be too noticeable with the hot weather we've been having. Maybe you could get up
early, go out and grab the paper right after it's delivered and give it a good rubdown with some
poison ivy/oak/sumac leaves before you replace it.  

-Warren-

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Let's get a game camera and I will show you how to cam it up or I'll get my old gear out the loft and wait in the bushes
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:31:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I like you.  

Dog poop might be too noticeable with the hot weather we've been having. Maybe you could get up
early, go out and grab the paper right after it's delivered and give it a good rubdown with some

-Warren-

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like you.  

-Warren-

Itching powder?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol newspapers

???

You're paying a guy to deliver things to your house that you can usually find on the interweb for free. It's an outdated business model.

Which paper is it?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You're paying a guy to deliver things to your house that you can usually find on the interweb for free. It's an outdated business model.

Which paper is it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol newspapers

???

Which paper is it?

It's the Washington Post. (I know. I know.)

My wife and I enjoy sitting around in the morning, having breakfast together and reading the paper. I'm not interested in reading it on the internetz.

I'm not in business, so an "outdated business model" means nothing to me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Around here the couponers will sometimes steal papers just to get the slicks.  Too cheap to buy one at the dollar store.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Found a note in my mailbox today from my paper carrier. He wrote that some one is stealing papers up and down my road nearly every day, and that he will be putting my paper in my mailbox from now on.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#17]

he will be putting my paper in my mailbox from now on.
View Quote
Don't let the mailman catch him at that....

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
he will be putting my paper in my mailbox from now on.

He'll be putting it in the mailbox at about 0400, and I'll go out and get it not later than 0630. The mail doesn't show up until well after noon.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:16:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I second the game cam. They are easily hidden. Get an IR model, and make sure it doesn't have a visible flash or a visible red light. If it's happening between 0400 and 0630, it should be too dark for the thief to notice a game cam on a tree anyway. Consider alternate locations - across the street, down the road 25 yards, hidden in a bag of garbage on the curb...

There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:08:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Found a note in my mailbox today from my paper carrier. He wrote that some one is stealing papers up and down my road nearly every day, and that he will be putting my paper in my mailbox from now on.
View Quote

If the person is stealing one paper a day and spreading it around the neighborhood they probably have a patern.  Should be easy to look back at which house complained when and determine the pattern.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:22:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like a pattern with multiple daily lefts.  Motive as lame as it sounds, could be someone reselling.  the carrier should inconspicuously mark the papers in case these turn up somewhere esle.  It shouldn't be that hard to get surveillance evidence of the perps.......especially wit this crew here
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#22]
You should thank the guy for denying you access to the WaPo and then deny them your money.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A couple of times a month, some asshole steals the newspaper out of the newspaper box at the end of my driveway. The paper gets delivered sometime around 4AM, but the son of a bitch thief gets it before I can get to it about 630 or so.
There are a bunch of trees between my house and the end if the curving driveway, so I can neither see nor hear it when the bastard takes my paper. If it happened every day, or several times a week, then I'd just get up early and lie in wait for the cocksucker. But I don't relish the idea of getting up every morning for two or three weeks and sitting out in the car waiting for the hippy weirdo freak commie pervert degenerate pinko punk bastard fag bedwetter to come along and snag my paper.
Any ideas?
View Quote

Just Put up a Small little sign, or tape on a message to your mailbox, "Smile, You are on Camera" and see if that deters them.. Hopefully it will.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Guy kept doing that at my office until I stuck a nice fresh giant dog turd in the middle of the paper last week. That was the last paper the asshole took.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just Put up a Small little sign, or tape on a message to your mailbox, "Smile, You are on Camera" and see if that deters them.. Hopefully it will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any ideas?

Good idea. But what I really want to do is catch the bastard.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Duck blind anyone? Either that or an electric fence transformer and some mesh?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Game camera for sure
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#28]
They make mail boxes with a drop shoot into a locked box.  Kinda like the postal drop boxes but smaller.  May look into that as he may be sniping your mail too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They make mail boxes with a drop shoot into a locked box.  Kinda like the postal drop boxes but smaller.  May look into that as he may be sniping your mail too.
View Quote

No mail is missing. The only thing we get are bills and junk mail, anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top