Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2014 7:32:17 AM EDT
First, not looking for legal advice just opinions.

The situation: I got a speeding ticket in NOVA in May. Yeah it sucks but I was just going to pay it because it is what it is. I go online to the courts.state.va.us website, enter the court, and search by name. Nothing under my name. Being the good citizen I am, I call the court to check the status and they have no record of the ticket by my name or the ticket number. The ticket has a hearing date in August but again it is not on the docket.

So what's going on here? Did the cop lose it, decide to cut me a break, or just not file it yet?  

Next question, what to do.  I will continue to check the website to see if it pops up but what if it doesn't show up in the system closer to the hearing date on the ticket? Ignoring it isn't an option as I would hate to get bit by it later.  

Again, just looking for opinions
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#1]
It's certainly possible the officer forgot to turn it in.  Won't say that happens all the time, but a lot more frequently than you'd expect.  In my experience, the ticket is often dismissed on the court date as there's nothing filed.  Not a certainty, as it's possible the officer will file it between now and then or depending on the judge, may allow the officer to file it day of.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#2]
If it was me, I'd go to court on the court date. The judge isn't out to get anyone. If it happens that there is nothing related to you, you'll be on your way and consider it a gift from the gun gods (aka - go buy gun stuff). But you don't want a bench warrant for failure to pay/appear due to a mistake.

Not legal advice, just what I'd do.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Tickets are still entered into their system by hand. Sometimes they are way behind because of vacation scheduling and such. Don't ignore it, would be my advice. If it is a pre-pay, then the ticket will be in the system before your time.

ETA: Even if the judge dismisses your ticket, you are still liable for the state's court fees, which I believe are around $66/infraction and $91/misdemeanor now. Unless, there is no record of said ticket.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone. I'm going to keep checking and go to the hearing if it isn't entered before then. Sucks having to take a day off from work but hopefully it will end up in my favor.

The clerk I spoke with told me the amount the ticket was going to be based on my speed over the limit and said I could go ahead and mail it in...right

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tickets are still entered into their system by hand. Sometimes they are way behind because of vacation scheduling and such. Don't ignore it, would be my advice. If it is a pre-pay, then the ticket will be in the system before your time.

ETA: Even if the judge dismisses your ticket, you are still liable for the state's court fees, which I believe are around $66/infraction and $91/misdemeanor now. Unless, there is no record of said ticket.
View Quote

Mmmmmm. Don't think so. Never seen or heard of that happening.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Either your name is on the docket or it is not. If it is not, go home.
That is what my lawyer told me 3 years ago in the same situation.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can happen. Depends on what the judge says. I've seen it happen both ways.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:38:29 AM EDT
[#8]
On another note, this was my first interaction with a police officer since I've gotten my conceal permit.

I have thought about it a lot and know I don't have to notify them I was carrying a firearm but after much thought I decided I would notify them if the interaction was caused by an infraction (aka speeding). I handed over my permit with my license, registration, and permit as soon as he came to the window. He asked where the firearm was and said just don't reach for it and thanked me.

Very professional and not another word about it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:16:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On another note, this was my first interaction with a police officer since I've gotten my conceal permit.

I have thought about it a lot and know I don't have to notify them I was carrying a firearm but after much thought I decided I would notify them if the interaction was caused by an infraction (aka speeding). I handed over my permit with my license, registration, and permit as soon as he came to the window. He asked where the firearm was and said just don't reach for it and thanked me.

View Quote

ALWAYS tell them you're carrying a firearm during a traffic stop.  They won't care, but you don't want them to find out on their own - permit or not.  Trust me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:20:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I take the opposite approach. I have never told them, and I never will, unless I think it is somehow relevant to the interaction I'm having with them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ALWAYS tell them you're carrying a firearm during a traffic stop.  They won't care, but you don't want them to find out on their own - permit or not.  Trust me.

I take the opposite approach. I have never told them, and I never will, unless I think it is somehow relevant to the interaction I'm having with them.

To each their own.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:02:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in this boat as well.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Either it hasn't been put into the system yet, your name is horribly mangled due to bad handwriting, or the officer lost/forgot it.  If say show up to court unless it pops up on the system.  If it's been lost/forgotten you stand a good chance of the officer not showing up or not having his copy and thereby it being dismissed.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#14]
How much money is your time worth to show up in court?
Vacation time?

They might even return the check if the have no record of the ticket (though do not count on it).
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just wanted to clear this up...  if the Judge dismisses the infraction, after you serve community service or going to traffic school, you still owe for the original court date. Nothing owed for the return date.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't lose money missing work so it is just the fact that it is PITA to get out there (about 40 min from the house) and kill an afternoon.

The $150 fine isn't that big of a deal by itself but higher insurance premiums will suck.

I'll probably head out there and play dumb if it hasn't resolved itself by then.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't lose money missing work so it is just the fact that it is PITA to get out there (about 40 min from the house) and kill an afternoon.

The $150 fine isn't that big of a deal by itself but higher insurance premiums will suck.

I'll probably head out there and play dumb if it hasn't resolved itself by then.  

View Quote

Just sit quietly in the back.  If you go up to the clerk and ask about it they may photocopy your copy and throw it on the docket (seen it done).
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife was in an auto accident last year and she was ticketed for failure to yield.  When she went before the judge in Charlottesville she explained what she thought happened and the judge dismissed the ticket.  She wasn't asked to pay any fee/s.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. I didn't make the rules, I just exercise my options under them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My wife was in an auto accident last year and she was ticketed for failure to yield.  When she went before the judge in Charlottesville she explained what she thought happened and the judge dismissed the ticket.  She wasn't asked to pay any fee/s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where I've seen it is usually with fix-it tickets. Defective equipment, tint, etc.

You bring proof that you've complied with the law, the judge can dismiss the original charge, but he often will make you pay court costs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 3:45:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where I've seen it is usually with fix-it tickets. Defective equipment, tint, etc.

You bring proof that you've complied with the law, the judge can dismiss the original charge, but he often will make you pay court costs.
View Quote

That's the "you're probably guilty but we're cutting you a break" dismissal. Same deal with getting traffic school for a moving violation - the charge is dismissed so you don't get any points on your license, but the "deal" is that you pay court costs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:25:39 AM EDT
[#22]
My concern with this is that it still feels outstanding and lingering over my head. Is there anyway for the officer to file the paperwork after the hearing date?

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:08:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My concern with this is that it still feels outstanding and lingering over my head. Is there anyway for the officer to file the paperwork after the hearing date?

View Quote

A new hearing data would be set.
Are you really feeling that lucky to risk a 'no show' and the likely bench warrant?

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:28:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Are you really feeling that lucky to risk a 'no show' and the likely bench warrant?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't they just find him guilty in absentia, and then make him pay the fine/costs within 30 days (or else DMV gets notified and he gets suspended)?

Do GDC judges really issue a capias if you don't show up for a traffic infraction? I don't think that's the normal practice, though I'm not saying it couldn't happen (because they are allowed to do that).

And he could also just appeal to Circuit no matter what.

All that said ... I'd still show up. GDC can be a disorganized place, and that summons might not get "filed" until 5 minutes before the docket begins.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wouldn't they just find him guilty in absentia, and then make him pay the fine/costs within 30 days (or else DMV gets notified and he gets suspended)?

Do GDC judges really issue a capias if you don't show up for a traffic infraction? I don't think that's the normal practice, though I'm not saying it couldn't happen (because they are allowed to do that).

All that said ... I'd still show up. GDC can be a disorganized place, and that summons might not get "filed" until 5 minutes before the docket begins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my experience, if one fails to show up on a traffic infraction and the officer is present, they are tried in absence, found guilty, hit with the fine, costs, and TIA fee.  If it's a jailable offense or the officer no shows a capias might be issued.  The only time I really see a capias issued for a non jailable is a drunk in public and that's because the officer is not there at arraignment so the defendant can be tried.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh I'll be there. No doubt about that...

The question is what do I do if they don't call my name?

Ask the clerk what is up?

or

Leave
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Oh I'll be there. No doubt about that...

The question is what do I do if they don't call my name?

Ask the clerk what is up?

or

Leave
View Quote

If they don't call your name, wait till the judge steps off the bench, schlep over to the clerks office and then ask.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks. That's the plan!
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In my experience, if one fails to show up on a traffic infraction and the officer is present, they are tried in absence, found guilty, hit with the fine, costs, and TIA fee.  If it's a jailable offense or the officer no shows a capias might be issued.  The only time I really see a capias issued for a non jailable is a drunk in public and that's because the officer is not there at arraignment so the defendant can be tried.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This has been my experience as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top