Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2014 9:23:50 AM EDT
My yard is half wooded, half grass, and has been badly maintained for a long time. We haven't lived there long and are in the process of cleaning up the yard (a long and annoying process). And we've got ticks apparently. One just got pulled out of my wife's arm. So it's pesticide time.

I put some of the stuff you buy at lowes and put on the lawn with a drop spreader, but am now looking for something more complete. Anybody have a recommendation for NOVA for a company that treats for ticks?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#1]
On you or in general?

I buy the concentrated Permethrin from TSC.  Dilute with water in a pump sprayer and apply liberally to my house and woods clothes.  Takes care of almost all bugs, and it's cheap.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On you or in general?

I buy the concentrated Permethrin from TSC.  Dilute with water in a pump sprayer and apply liberally to my house and woods clothes.  Takes care of almost all bugs, and it's cheap.
View Quote

Both?

I'll look into that. Although we have an incredibly number of lightning bugs and I like them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#3]
There us a company that sells some tubes filled with cotton treated with pyrmethiem that you put out in your yard.  Mice take the cotton balls for their nests and the chemicals kill the ticks on the mice before their first molt.

Takes a while to kill off the ticks and doesn't get the big ones. But effective in the long run.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
a pet chicken or 2?

We turned 4 loose at the hunt club and they decimated the tick population!
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#5]
a pet chicken or 2?

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know where your located, but I own a company called the mosquito squad and we treat for ticks.  If you go to mosquitosquad.com, you can enter your zip code and fine the closest franchise to you
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:59:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

a pet chicken or 2?

View Quote
This, or some Guineafowl, clear up your tick problem.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:20:07 AM EDT
[#8]
?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:35:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I use Aspen Environmental services DC LLC. nice outfit call before they come over and re schedule if there will be heavy rain (unlike some of the big nationals who will treat just for it to be washed away)
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't know where your located, but I own a company called the mosquito squad and we treat for ticks.  If you go to mosquitosquad.com, you can enter your zip code and fine the closest franchise to you
View Quote

Fburg; you guys have a location there. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow for a quote.

You own the whole thing?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
a pet chicken or 2?

View Quote

I have kept chickens for about a decade and have yet to have any in my yard since we got yard birds.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
a pet chicken or 2?

Know several people who swear by Gunieafowl.  You can also eat the eggs, just like those from a chicken.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife just pulled a tick off my daughters ear an hour ago. She is freaking out and in full panic mode. She's calling my sister and asking for advice, checking the internet, making me pull up images of ticks.

I think I'm just going to go out on the porch and have a cigar and a cup coffee.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:50:46 AM EDT
[#14]
The big gray full ticks we pulled off the hounds as kids made the best fishing bait ever.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

On you or in general?

View Quote

I do the same thing. Tractor Supply has it in the livestock section. Just dilute it to .25% and spray it on your outdoor/work clothes and let dry before wearing. Permethrin works amazing for ticks.

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fburg; you guys have a location there. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow for a quote.

You own the whole thing?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You own the whole thing?

It's a franchise, I own the one in Hampton roads.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Ticks are not so bad..

Get a yard full of Chiggers, then you will know suffering!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Try Moxie pest control. We live on 1.5 acres with half wooded. They have done great for us. Plus the chems they use will not hurt our dogs. If you need them to retreat, just call them and they come out for free. We are on our 2nd year and very rare to get a tick in the house or on us.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#19]
We had Moxie, 1 acre lot with some trees.  As far as I can tell, those guys didn't kill a single bug in the year we paid them.  I did better spraying with commercial products from Lowes after I told them to pound sand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top