Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 2:17:45 PM EDT
When a CHP is renewed, it is supposed to be for 5 years from the length of the expiration of the current, valid CHP, correct?  I think Fairfax County just screwed me out of a week.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure mine was around the day I turned it in for renewal, so by that logic, you could get hosed ~90 days if you sent it the earliest each time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
They hosed me out of about three weeks in Jan.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never noticed on mine, as I always end up renewing within the week it expired, or in one case I was a week late.
View Quote

Right there with you.  Mine expires on Wed and I am still waiting for the renewal to arrive.  You'd think after 20+ years I'd have this down by now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:33:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Depends upon when you apply.

If you apply in the 90-45 day window it is supposed to be from the date of expiration if the original permit.  If you apply in the 45-0 day window it is 5 years from the issue date.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:57:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you apply in the 90-45 day window it is supposed to be from the date of expiration if the original permit.  If you apply in the 45-0 day window it is 5 years from the issue date.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was in the 45 - 90 day window.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Then you should definitely bring it up with the clerk.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Right there with you.  Mine expires on Wed and I am still waiting for the renewal to arrive.  You'd think after 20+ years I'd have this down by now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never noticed on mine, as I always end up renewing within the week it expired, or in one case I was a week late.

+1

received my renewed permit days before my old one expired (today, infact, old expires tomorrow,  seems I 'lost' 4 days,, not worried)

and also weeks after it expired,

even got denied on my first renewal and had to go before a judge to get it renewed, (way back when)
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, the expiration date came and went...so I now get "extra" days I suppose.  

ETA:    Confirmed, see below.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you in Henrico?  They do not follow the law and issue renewals from the date of processing, not the original expiration.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are you in Henrico?  They do not follow the law and issue renewals from the date of processing, not the original expiration.
View Quote

Worse.  Fairfax/
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I lost 2 months on mine in Spotsy in 2011.  I sent the renewal in with just under 90 days left.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Worse.  Fairfax/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worse.  Fairfax/

Yeah, FFX is in no hurry to renew mine.  I only dropped off the app about three weeks before it expired, but was hoping for a quick turn around.  No dice.  Expiration passed last week and it wasn't in the mail again today.  They will probably sit on it for another 3 weeks.  It will be interesting to see if I gain days....not that it will matter.  I'll probably screw this up again next time too.  I am just thankful that it's every five years now instead of two.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I looked it up... http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#Renewal

"If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit."
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So I looked it up... http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#Renewal

"If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

D'oh.  RIF.  I fail.  Solution to me being an idiot = lifetime license.  Odds of that happening with the current governor: 0.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm...so it seems like I might not gain extra days...even though I am sitting here without a permit currently while a judge uses my renewal app and a stack of others for a foot stool.

Oh well, no one's fault but my own.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:06:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hmm...so it seems like I might not gain extra days...even though I am sitting here without a permit currently while a judge uses my renewal app and a stack of others for a foot stool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should get a back-up permit, like Utah's....that would cover you while you are waiting for your renewal.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Closing the loop - my renewal permit arrived from FFX.  It took 34 days from renewal drop off at the FFX court house to my mailbox.  Could have been worse. In fact, I expected worse, so I guess the trick is to set your expectations low.  

Mine expired while they were processing the renewal so I was wondering what they would do with the issue date.  The new permit's issue date is actually the day that I received it in the mail...so props to them and the USPO.

On a side note, I can't believe that it still comes unlaminated and requires your signature after all these years.  Oh well, problem solved...for $1.25 at FedEx:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top