Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2011 2:08:34 PM EDT
How would you like to come back to your car at the park and ride in Reston and see this:

About an hour ago.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#1]
wow, what part of Reston? that's just crazy....

Lumpy'03
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Park n Ride near Wiehle Ave.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I drove from Reston to Leesburg. Sunrise Vally Dr in front of the gold course had a foot of water on the road. It was bubbling UP from the drainage grates. Should have drove the raptor today...

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Had a meeting at 4:00 in Tysons, knew that there was a reason that I got out of there!  That's near my office, hopefully wife wasn't parked in that lot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
DC EMA announced that the beltway was closed down by Alexandria due to flooding. One of my wife's friends is stuck on it - hasn't moved in over an hour and a half.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I'm calling in sick tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Whoa...

That is not good...

Jeremy

ETA: Are some of those floating?

Link Posted: 9/8/2011 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Our Dr. office's is right across the street, towards the toll road from there. I just showed my wife the pic., she was shocked. So was I!
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Work in Tysons, live in Alexandria.

Left work at 17:25.  
Got out of the parking lot at 17:50.
Make it to Alexandria by 19:30.
Find out my apartment is surrounded by flood waters and no roads are passable.  People on my club's repeater trying to talk me through things, relay info from scanners, and offers of place to stay.
Finally found a "back" way in.  Arrived at 22:45  

My wife tells me there were boats on Telegraph...
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn, that sucks!

66E was flooded around noon - traffic was at a crawl and the water looked to be at least a foot deep.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Two earthquakes, a hurricane, and now monsoon like rains with flash flooding...  I feel like we're missing the message here

Link Posted: 9/8/2011 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#12]
My truck is underwater in that picture.   Maybe I will post some of the "after" pics tomorrow.  
Made that discovery after a three hour commute from Pentagon City.   What a day.  

ETA:  now that I look closer, my truck is right in front of the silver/tan sedan that is "floating" in the middle of the picture.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My truck is underwater in that picture.   Maybe I will post some of the "after" pics tomorrow.  
Made that discovery after a three hour commute from Pentagon City.   What a day.  

ETA:  now that I look closer, my truck is right in front of the silver/tan sedan that is "floating" in the middle of the picture.

Talk about a bad day!

Its a ghost town out there now... Just got back from national harbor.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 3:02:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Two earthquakes, a hurricane, and now monsoon like rains with flash flooding...  I feel like we're missing the message here

Just waiting on the boils and locusts.

Damn, I gotta go to Reston this morning.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 4:22:26 AM EDT
[#15]
you in the new house yet Bulldog?
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 4:29:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Don't move in until the 14th of October.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 4:34:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't move in until the 14th of October.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I bet the folks in my old house were shitting their pants....the creek in the woods behind had to be up near the house.

I hope they have a backup sump pump!
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 5:20:01 AM EDT
[#18]
normally i would say THIS:

...but the center of that lot looks a bit deep.... *re-considers snorkel for jeep*.....  

good luck to you guys up there. don't know that i can do anything to help out but there is an offer if you need it.

on a side note: a floating car keeps your BOB dry!
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow!  I used to work just east of there at Wiehle and Sunset Hills.  I remember parking my horse trailer in that lot on the weekends years ago so I could ride on the W&OD trail.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#20]
drove by there last night... still closed off and a lot of water.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Make sure they put it on a flat bed to tow it.

You do NOT want any part of the drive train to move any more than you absolutely have to to get it on the truck.

Moving it (especially with an auto trans) can finish off the trans by driving water into it deeply (like the torque converter).

If you have a manual avoid turning the gears.
The oil may still be there and protecting them until you start churning.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 7:30:01 AM EDT
[#22]
VRE was a fucking disaster last night. I was on the first train heading south that didn't "make it". We got south of Springfield and the track bed was washing out. A little farther on and the tracks were underwater. VRE sent the train back to Springfield (back over the part that was kinda washed out which was fun) where the biggest clusterfuck I have ever been involved in occurred.

We were basically dropped off and told buses would appear at 1945. That was the last bit of formal information we got from VRE. VRE sent, from what I could see, two guys to direct 1500 or so people around to get on buses. Neither of them had bullhorns or the ability to shout. One of them tried once after I helpfully suggested he try using his "outside voice" but I guess it hurt so he gave up. Most information on what bus was going where was passed by fellow riders so it was one big game of telephone. I got to spend a few hours standing in the rain and lightning trying to figure out where the fuck I was supposed to be to actually get on the right bus.

No VRE leadership, no organization, no crowd control. Just two guys running around like chickens sans heads and not doing anything very useful. I did get offered a free daily ticket but I'm a monthly ticker holder so I don't know what the hell I'd do with it. I suggested it might be best utilized inside the VRE guy's ass but I don't think he heard me. I guess their office guys could stand to learn from our engineer, who kept our train informed of what was going on while we were still onboard.

Got home sometime after 2200. Soaked right through my rain gear.

I don't blame VRE for the rain of course. Or the wait, because that was a lot of people to move around. They can fuck right off for their lack of organization and planning though.

Oh well, could've been worse. I did get home safe eventually.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Wow.  Sorry for anyone dealing with any of that.  My losses pale by comparison.

Hell commute getting home yesterday, came home to a waterfall coming through my basement window.  Ran around back and dug a hasty-trench to divert water, then went down to find that the water had washed a 1x2 inch post-it note pad into my floor drain.  Took that out... and whoosh... the water started to recede.  Just my dumb luck!

Not sure of the casualties yet.  Tossed a bunch of stuff in the trash, but still have a lot to sort through.  Was in the process of "reorganizing" so a lot was on the floor.  Including a case with my 1911, and a slew of pre-loaded mags of varying types.  Not sure how the rifles fared in my cabinet yet... not worried about the ARs, but am a bit concerned about the wood buttstocks of my WW2-types.  Lot of food, clothing, power tools, and electronics all gone.

Survived the earthquake, Hurricane was a shrug off... but the sleeper storm got me good!   Damn you Lee, you bastage!

He must've known I was a Yankee.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I have been on the phone with USAA a few times this morning. They are all but calling it a total loss. The original plan was to send the flatbed this weekend, but since there are so many screwed cars blocking it, they are sending the adjusters to the scene to evaluate the cars as they sit.  The claims rep said that USAA has about 30 of the approximately 70 affected cars (lots of Pentagon commuters there).  The salvage lots are appearantly full from cars wrecked earlier in the week.

I am heading over in a bit to get what I can salvage out of it.  Thankfully I dont keep much stuff in it.

Quoted:
Quoted:

You do NOT want any part of the drive train to move any more than you absolutely have to to get it on the trick.

Moving it (especially with an auto trans) can finish off the trans by driving water into it deeply (like the torque converter).

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have been on the phone with USAA a few times this morning. They are all but calling it a total loss. The original plan was to send the flatbed this weekend, but since there are so many screwed cars blocking it, they are sending the adjusters to the scene to evaluate the cars as they sit.  The claims rep said that USAA has about 30 of the approximately 70 affected cars (lots of Pentagon commuters there).  The salvage lots are appearantly full from cars wrecked earlier in the week.

I am heading over in a bit to get what I can salvage out of it.  Thankfully I dont keep much stuff in it.

Quoted:
Quoted:

You do NOT want any part of the drive train to move any more than you absolutely have to to get it on the trick.

The electrical systems of most modern cars will never recover from being underwater like that, so I'm not surprised they're writing it off.  My wife's Navigator has a leaky sunroof and is now popping fuses on various circuits.  God only knows where the short(s) are occurring.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Tubing in Fairfax
29/50 in Fairfax
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Sorry to hear of everyone's losses...

Any help needed anywhere (local NoVA)?
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear of everyone's losses...

Any help needed anywhere (local NoVA)?

How fast can you build an ark?
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Rains yesterday, last night and through this morning capped us with about fourteen inches in the last 48 hours.

Thank heaven for my high ground in this part of Dale City.

Per the Potomac News, sadly, two drowned in Fairfax- a twelve year-old playing at a stream was swept away, and they found him, drowned, two hours later. An elderly man at Great Falls drowned apparently in his car.

I listened to the scanner most of the night. ––per Pr Wm PD and  Fire/Rescue, swiftwater rescue boats were brought up from Stafford, and worked most of the night. All the available rescue boats and crews from Prince William and Fairfax were heavily tasked early on. At least twice I heard backup called in because folks partying were harassing fire/rescue teams. I hope they got their heads busted.

Route One in Woodbridge was topped in at least one spot, for a while at fifteen feet. Both ends of a bridge on Blackburn road washed out, leaving an occupied car stranded on the bridge.Two mobile home parks were evac'd, about 200 folks, and per the local news, only five trailers are unscathed.

Numerous large sinkholes opened in the roadways and parking lots there.

'03
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Route One in Woodbridge was topped in at least one spot, for a while at fifteen feet.

Drove over that little creek this morning, if it's near where Shooter's Paradise used to be.

County Cops had the Northbound lanes coned off and all traffic was using the 2 southbound lanes. There was still standing water on the road.

It looks like it went pretty damn wide. Businesses were cleaning up and mud was everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Update:  truck officially totaled about 90 minutes ago.  Looked much worse in daylight.  My grey interior was all mud brown and there was grass/trash/random items all over it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#33]
that's it, Spade-

route 1 was closed in numerous locations, just North of Rippon Landing Blvd, at Dale Blvd, Pr. Wm Pkwy, Occoquan Rd, and 123 at One.

emergency vehicles even had a lot of detouring to do.

'03
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#34]
This is a video my wife took last night.  We live near Cameron Run.  Eisenhower/Mill/Telegraph was a river last night.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The electrical systems of most modern cars will never recover from being underwater like that, so I'm not surprised they're writing it off.  My wife's Navigator has a leaky sunroof and is now popping fuses on various circuits.  God only knows where the short(s) are occurring.

Exactly.

It may work for 6 months but eventually the electronics will corrode and it will be toast.

The biggest problem is that at least some of the electronics are 'always on' and the usually dirty water is a pretty good conductor.

The other problem is that the folks you are dealing with have NO idea how to wash down and decontaminate the electronics so it can remain functional.

The lack of ANY conformal coating no the printed circuit boards just adds to the problem.  Lowest cost you know.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I work at the water treatment plant in Centreville and we saw 3 inch per hour rainfall and had 150 million gallons coming in for most of the night.
It was nuts there but we survived... Running at max capacity tonight, but will probably be Sunday before we get the ERP's pumped down to a reasonable level.

Somebody needs to stop doIng that friggin rain dance!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I work at the water treatment plant in Centreville and we saw 3 inch per hour rainfall and had 150 million gallons coming in for most of the night.
It was nuts there but we survived... Running at max capacity tonight, but will probably be Sunday before we get the ERP's pumped down to a reasonable level.

Somebody needs to stop doIng that friggin rain dance!!!!

It's all them boys in Texas/Oklahoma doing the rain dance, their aim sucks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#38]
These pics were posted on the Fairfax County Gov't facebook page.

Lorton Road

Beach Mill Road

Hunter Mill Road

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#39]
WOOF!
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 4:05:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
At least twice I heard backup called in because folks partying were harassing fire/rescue teams. I hope they got their heads busted.

WTF?!  Is Fire/Rescue allowed to throw THEM in at that point, and let them float away?  Unbelievable.  Never ceases to amaze me, the power of stupid.

Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
At least twice I heard backup called in because folks partying were harassing fire/rescue teams. I hope they got their heads busted.

WTF?!  Is Fire/Rescue allowed to throw THEM in at that point, and let them float away?  Unbelievable.  Never ceases to amaze me, the power of stupid.

pretty much... the right of justified self-defense is not to be denied... and although there are some sorta stringy 'cruits out there, a lot of the guys are very bulky - my son is
about 6'3 and around 225.  ..and salty.

'03

Link Posted: 9/10/2011 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF? What was up with all the people walking around the flood site in flip flops? Also who were the joggers that were running around the flood site?

Link Posted: 9/12/2011 7:04:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Drove by Accotink (sp) creek near Belvoir on Friday as well. There were about 5 SUV's smashed into the trees on the east side of the road next to the creek. Heard some guy drowned there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#44]
I was out of town during the flooding and left my personal vehicle parked near the top level of the park-deck at the Fairfax-Vienna metro stop. Had an amazing view of flooding while heading north on Amtrak! Some views looked like OP's photo!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top