Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2017 7:20:57 PM EDT
5/16

Probably not a big surprise given the committee makeup, but it passed to the House floor on a 7-6 vote.   Please respectfully let your Representative know of your opposition to this bill.

It is on second reading tomorrow so earliest it could come up for votes is Thursday.

Info from Todd, NRA lobbyist, on todays hearing in a post below
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_23/613438_.html&page=1#i6781201

*Also posted in GD*

SB1657, Gun Dealer Licensing bill has been assigned to House Committee and now on the agenda for May 16.

Witness Slips are now open!  Be sure to select OPPONENT.

Although still in committee, the bill can move to the floor quickly.  Contact your State Representative and follow up with a respectful message telling them you strongly oppose SB1657.

House Judiciary - Criminal Committee Hearing Details

Scheduled Date 5/16/2017 - 11:00 AM
Location Room 118 - Capitol Building - - Springfield, IL
Posting Date 5/09/2017 - 4:12 PM

Hearing Agenda - you can track and enter witness slips from here
http://my.ilga.gov/Hearing/HearingDetail/14949?HCommittees5/16/2017-page=1&HCommittees5/16/2017-orderBy=&HCommittees5/16/2017-filter=&committeeid=0&chamber=H&nodays=7&_=1494372174793

Direct link to enter a witness slip
http://my.ilga.gov/WitnessSlip/Create/104404?committeeHearingId=14949&LegislationId=104404&HCommittees5%2F16%2F2017-page=1&committeeid=0&chamber=H&nodays=7&_=1494371015249

Witness Slip User Guide and FAQ
http://my.ilga.gov/Documents/ILGA%20Dashboard%20User%20Guide.pdf

http://my.ilga.gov/Home/FAQ

Link to bill
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=1657&GAID=14&DocTypeID=SB&LegId=104404&SessionID=91&GA=100

Synopsis As Introduced
Creates the Gun Dealer Licensing Act. Provides that it is unlawful for a person to engage in the business of selling, leasing, or otherwise transferring firearms without a license issued by the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. Provides that a dealership agent other than a dealer licensee-in-charge may act on behalf of the licensed dealership without being licensed as a dealer under the Act. Creates the Gun Dealer Licensing Board consisting of 5 members appointed by the Secretary of Financial and Professional Regulation to recommend policies, procedures, and rules relevant to the administration and enforcement of the Act. Provides that the holder of a dealership license issued under the Act may employ in the conduct of his or her business dealership agents. Establishes qualifications for obtaining dealership licenses and for being employed as a dealership agent. Establishes penalties for violations of the Act. Provides for rulemaking, including emergency rulemaking. Amends the Regulatory Sunset Act. Provides that the Act is repealed on January 1, 2028. Amends the Illinois Administrative Procedure Act. Makes conforming changes.

Senate Floor Amendment No. 1
Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Reinserts the provisions of the bill except: (1) provides that "dealer" includes the following Federal Firearms Licenses: Type 01-dealer in firearms other than destructive devices; Type 02-pawnbroker in firearms other than destructive devices; Type 09-dealer of destructive devices; (2) defines "collector" and "licensed collector"; (3) defines "importer"; (4) provides that "manufacturer" includes the following types of Federal Firearms Licenses: Type 06-manufacturer of ammunition for firearms other than ammunition for destructive devices or armor piercing ammunition; Type 07-manufacturer of firearms other than destructive devices; Type 10-manufacturer of destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, or armor piercing ammunition; (5) provides that the exemption from licensing under the Gun Dealer Licensing Act for transfers of pieces or parts of a firearm that do not themselves qualify as firearms under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 by a person who is actually engaged in manufacturing and selling those pieces or parts but only on the activities which are within the lawful scope of that business applies only to the manufacture of which do not require the manufacturer to hold a Federal Firearms License; (6) provides that a person licensed as an auctioneer under the Auction License Act may facilitate a transfer permitted under the Gun Dealer Licensing Act without being registered as a dealer under the Act; (7) provides that a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License Type 01-dealer in firearms other than destructive devices; Type 02-pawnbroker in firearms other than destructive devices; or Type 09-dealer of destructive devices on April 1, 2017, is not exempt from the Gun Dealer Licensing Act by obtaining a Manufacturer Federal Firearms License or Importer Federal Firearms License; and (8) exempts from the requirements of licensure under the Gun Dealer Licensing Act, transfers of firearms by a dealer in which 20% or less of the dealer's annual sales are from the sale of firearms.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Witness slip submitted.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:59:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Done X 2
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:01:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Done X 2
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#6]
After yesterdays announcement,  we had been constantly running ahead by about 100.  Not sure where the info went, but we have been kicking it (1100+ now) the last 3 hours!   Keep it up.   I cant imagine what the numbers are going to look like after another 6 days.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Hit, Filed slips for my dad and I.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure why you think its going to the wrong bill.  Yes,  SB189 is listed on the ILGA posting of committee hearing and  on the agenda for a subject matter discussion in same committee hearing.   Its listed on your witness slip links as well as in OP links, but SB1657 is specifically called out upper left in slips.

Edit: deleted OP ILGA subject matter reference to SB189 as posted in hearing details notice lest it cause further confusion for people.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:02:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Our side has over 3000 vs their 500
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#11]
3302 vs 575 this morning
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I am so pissed at SA and RRA. Wish there was something I could do to help but I'm in Michigan. Best I can do is let SA and RRA know that they suck and if they don't support gun owners and dealers in their own state I sure as hell won't have anything to do with them.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is a link to the count..  

3862 Opponent

680 Proponent

Witness Slip Counts for SB1657
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

3862 Opponent

680 Proponent

View Quote
Kicking ass and taking names 

It's bullshit that it passed the Senate at all. Fuck RA, SA and Senator Rooney.  We need to hold all three accountable. 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:22:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's bullshit that it passed the Senate at all. Fuck RA, SA and Senator Rooney.  We need to hold all three accountable. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3862 Opponent

680 Proponent

RRA and SA screaming in unison - "But, but, but, it was the lobbyist's fault! We didn't know what was going on!"

Yeah, bullshit. They knew exactly what was unfolding, and failed to realize that gun owners don't stand idly by while being stabbed in the back.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#16]
submitted.  
1814 pro & 6670 opp thus far
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#17]
bump

2477 - 7326 - 26
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
bump

2477 - 7326 - 26
View Quote
Damn. We're crushing that shit. If only they would send out the alerts for the suppressor bill we could crush that one too 
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Damn. We're crushing that shit. If only they would send out the alerts for the suppressor bill we could crush that one too 
View Quote
The more the better.   I want to hear a gasp in the room when the chairman reads the opponent numbers!   Hopefully we can get this killed ASAP.  I see a big push by the antis the last couple of days.   They just added 24 to our 7.

2501 - 7333

I dont think there is confidence in the votes to get suppressors out of committee in this years make up and they are still working on it.   Last I checked it had not been rescheduled yet for a hearing.   Spring session usually tries to get things complete by end of May.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The more the better.   I want to hear a gasp in the room when the chairman reads the opponent numbers!   Hopefully we can get this killed ASAP.  I see a big push by the antis the last couple of days.   They just added 24 to our 7.

2501 - 7333

I dont think there is confidence in the votes to get suppressors out of committee in this years make up and they are still working on it.   Last I checked it had not been rescheduled yet for a hearing.   Spring session usually tries to get things complete by end of May.
View Quote
Ya, I'm not very hopeful on the suppressor bill passing this year. Hopefully we at least get the auto knives passed. 
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for posting this - done!
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Hit this last week... Totals now 2734 pro, 7513 against, 26 no positions.

I'm surprised nobody from RRA or SA is in the group of 26.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 3:49:34 AM EDT
[#23]
What concerns me is that we have 1.3 million FOID holders in Illinois and such a low comparative number of witness slips opposing SB1657.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:46:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
feeling the heat from round one of that seems to have helped them see the light

I'm concerned with the number of witness slips the enemy has - they're catching on it seems
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Because I was bored, I ran the numbers and 18.39% of the proponent names are duplicates as of the time of this posting..

It's not entirely one sided though, as 10.3% of the opponent names are duplicates.

ETA, nice, one of the duplicates that had four entries, lol:

Name representing
*redacted* a caring mom
*redacted* democrat
*redacted* a thinking human
*redacted* democrat
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Because I was bored, I ran the numbers and 18.39% of the proponent names are duplicates as of the time of this posting..

It's not entirely one sided though, as 10.3% of the opponent names are duplicates.

ETA, nice, one of the duplicates that had four entries, lol:

Name representing
*redacted* a caring mom
*redacted* democrat
*redacted* a thinking human
*redacted* democrat
View Quote
If you sort by name you see so many duplicates from the antis. They need to have someone go through and remove all the duplicates. It wouldn't even take all that long but of course they will leave them up because it props up their fake numbers. 
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm concerned with the number of witness slips the enemy has - they're catching on it seems
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not discounting the dupes, they have stepped up their game.   Cant find an anti post on social media without instructions for doing a slip. From its highest gap, looks like they have gained 100-200 slips.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you sort by name you see so many duplicates from the antis. They need to have someone go through and remove all the duplicates. It wouldn't even take all that long but of course they will leave them up because it props up their fake numbers. 
View Quote

Technically we have more duplicates on our side... BUT... overall almost half as many by percentage which is a pretty significant difference when considered.

It's all really interesting to look through in a spreadsheet. I see some out of state anti gun organizations supporting the bill plus a few planned parenthood folks, and it seems the most common proponent is something called INDIVISIBLE IL-18 who I haven't heard of before.

Also, I am noting that there must be some other form or forms someone has set up that will help people fill these out from somewhere else with drop-downs because I see values like this "-- please make a selection --" which definitely are not coming from the Illinois gov website.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Technically we have more duplicates on our side... BUT... overall almost half as many by percentage which is a pretty significant difference when considered.

It's all really interesting to look through in a spreadsheet. I see some out of state anti gun organizations supporting the bill plus a few planned parenthood folks, and it seems the most common proponent is something called INDIVISIBLE IL-18 who I haven't heard of before.

Also, I am noting that there must be some other form or forms someone has set up that will help people fill these out from somewhere else with drop-downs because I see values like this "-- please make a selection --" which definitely are not coming from the Illinois gov website.
View Quote
There are a lot of groups I've never heard of coming out for this.   I guess indivisible Illinois is also broken up by their congressional voting district, hence 18 is the 18th district.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Probably not a big surprise given the committee makeup, but it passed to the House floor on a 7-6 vote.   Please respectfully let your Representative know of your opposition to this bill.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#31]
The committee is 8-5 D, but the vote was 7-6. Who crossed over to the no side?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The committee is 8-5 D, but the vote was 7-6. Who crossed over to the no side?
View Quote
I believe it was Rita Mayfield out of Waukegan.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I believe it was Rita Mayfield out of Waukegan.
View Quote
Yes.  She wanted to vote for it but not in its current form with so much undefined.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Done, thank you!
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Update from Todd V, NRA IL lobbyist on todays committee hearing

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65743&page=7

"Witness slips do matter from the stand point it tells people that we are watching and active and care."

"So we go off to the floor to find the 60 votes we need to shut this down. If we get to 60, then we will try and drive them to 55 then to 50.

For those of you who normally call, please take a minute out to call Rep. Mayfield and thank her for her NO vote. it will mean a lot down the road.

Springfield Armory and Rock River were prepared to testify. So were Chuck's and Shrank's. We really appreicate them coming down and being ready to testify we had 3 panels lined up till they chaned the game on us.

it was gona be the Manufactuerers, then 3 dealers, then my boss shannon, Ed Sullivan for ISRA and me as cleanup.
Dan from Maxon's did fine for his first time in committee as baptisim under fire. Welcome to the brotherhood dude.

keep the calls coming they are having a differance. But 1000 thank you calls and emails to Rita Mayfield will really make my day. Thank you are words they hear to little here. "

Representative Rita Mayfield (D)
60th District

Springfield Office:
278-S Stratton Office Building
Springfield, IL 62706
(217) 558-1012

District Office:
120 S Genesee St.
Waukegan, IL 60085
(847) 599-2800
(847) 599-2955 FAX

[email protected]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#36]
*bump*  

second reading in House today.  Third reading is when voting occurs which could be called any day now.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Wanted to point out Jeanne Ives response to my letter-she's a genuine American!

"Thank you for contacting me in opposition to Senate Bill 1657, legislation to require licensing of gun dealers in the State of Illinois. Your feedback on this matter is sincerely appreciated. Senate Bill 1657 was approved by the Illinois Senate on April 27 by a vote of 30-21. The bill is awaiting final consideration and a vote in the House of Representatives.

I oppose further government infringement on the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners and sellers in the State of Illinois. SB 1657 goes far beyond federal law in its mandatory regulations and red tape imposed at the state level that it would almost surely force the closure of many firearm dealers.  This legislation seeks to create so many department divisions, anti-gun licensing boards and licensing fees that dealers would be forced to close through oversight by anti-gun appointees or being priced out of business.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your views with me on Senate Bill 1657. You can count on me to vote No should this bill be called for a final vote. Please do not hesitate to call my office at (630) 384-9719 with any questions or concerns on this or other state issues.

Sincerely,

Jeanne Ives"

It's important to know your friends, and she's with us on this-

Larry
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#38]
just in case there is interest in watching Todd V (NRA Lobbyist) and Dan (owner of Maxons) testimony at the committee hearing for this bill

House Judiciary Hearing on Licensing of Gun Stores

opposing side only and about 41 minutes
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Fuck that swarthy little Chicago cock sucker. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#40]
The GSL newspaper says the House voted on this.  I am confused, where are we at on this bill?  And yes, I have filed multiple witness slips on every bill mentioned here.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The GSL newspaper says the House voted on this.  I am confused, where are we at on this bill?  And yes, I have filed multiple witness slips on every bill mentioned here.
View Quote
It gets read 3 times in the House.  1st is in committee where it passed on to full house by a 7-6 vote.   Gets read second time for amendments and usually short debate if any.   Now it is in 3rd and final reading so when it is called it will go up for full house floor debate and vote.   It is on the calendar daily but most likely not to be called until sponsor believes she has enough votes to pass.

Did this help?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes, thank you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#43]
SB1657 wasn't called for a vote by its sponsor and is out of the record.

Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
SB1657 wasn't called for a vote by its sponsor and is out of the record.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170530/53ba93f6b2f2036b2fee95a1b7b70382.jpg
View Quote
So it's dead? Or are they going to bring it back to the house next week or month?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#45]
The final action deadline had been extended to May 31st.  Does this no longer apply?

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=1657&GAID=14&GA=100&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=104404&SessionID=91
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I believe out of record was just for today and can come back when they are ready to call.   Not sure what legalities are when deadline not met and it is end of session.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I believe out of record was just for today and can come back when they are ready to call.   Not sure what legalities are when deadline not met and it is end of session.
View Quote
Session ends tomorrow and they will need super majority to pass it during the next session. They don't have the votes now and sure as hell won't have enough votes for a super majority vote.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Session ends tomorrow and they will need super majority to pass it during the next session. They don't have the votes now and sure as hell won't have enough votes for a super majority vote.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assumed lack of votes they got before, 30, is reason we will see no House amendments since Senate could not pass again on concurrence.  But I'm sure there is still wheeling and dealing going on in Springfield tonight for House votes.

Super majority votes are 36 in Senate and 71 in House.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Once this bill is dead, some will forget who chose which side on this issue.  I will not forget that SAI and RRA threw us under the bus.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top