Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2017 11:57:34 PM EDT
My 12 year old son and I will be in Chicago for the weekend beginning June 9th. I need some referrals on hotels outside the city. Moderately priced national chains, please. We will be continuing a westward drive on Sunday the 11th.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:07:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you going to actually be doing stuff in Chicago or just the burbs? And which burbs? I don't want to recommend something that's going to require you to drive a long ways daily if you're going to be seeing stuff in Chicago proper.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you going to actually be doing stuff in Chicago or just the burbs? And which burbs? I don't want to recommend something that's going to require you to drive a long ways daily if you're going to be seeing stuff in Chicago proper.
View Quote
Friday evening will be Navy Pier. Saturday will be The Museum of Science and Industry, and the Sky Deck. I don't really want to stay downtown.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
You can stay in the city, but not stay downtown. But the hotel taxes will be more. There are plenty of options out by O'Hare (which will not be in Chicago, but will be in Rosemont, Elk Grove Village, Des Plaines). Take your pick of any of the national chains and go from there. Book on the actual hotel chain's website and not one of the "booking service" ones that can charge you a $10 fee (got caught with that once recently). Didn't notice until it was too late.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a child of the suburbs myself but I have lived in the south loop for the last couple years.

I strongly advise you bite the bullet and stay downtown. It is a TOTAL rip off but driving into and out of Chicago (especially down to the Museum of Science and Industry) is going to ruin your day. Weekend traffic in the summer is miserable.

Just my .02 cents.

Have a great trip! My dad and I took a ton of road trips when I was your son's age and they are some of the best memories I have of spending time with my dad.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I strongly advise you bite the bullet and stay downtown. It is a TOTAL rip off but driving into and out of Chicago (especially down to the Museum of Science and Industry) is going to ruin your day. Weekend traffic in the summer is miserable.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
IIRC, thats also Blues fest weekend.  Depending on what else is going on that weekend, whether fests or pre convention weekend, then I would expect larger cowds and hotel rates to get jacked up a lot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm a child of the suburbs myself but I have lived in the south loop for the last couple years.

Just my .02 cents.

Have a great trip! My dad and I took a ton of road trips when I was your son's age and they are some of the best memories I have of spending time with my dad.
View Quote
This....or the other option is find a hotel in the burbs near a Metra station.  Metra is safe pretty much no matter where you go as long as you don't get off it in a bad neighborhood.

The best option there kind of depends on where you are coming from and which way you are leaving toward so you can try to coordinate it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd say bite the bullet and just stay in downtown especially if all your planning involves downtown anyways.

You could stay in practically any suburb and take a Metra in, you would have to check their schedules for times. Rosemont, Skokie, Evanston and take the CTA, which run more frequently.

Commuting from the suburbs to downtown is going to eat hours out of your day.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Rosemont is a nice place to stay.  You have close access there to the Blue Line which will take you downtown, if you don't mind the train.  I would agree with the others and say just stay downtown.  It may be pricey but you won't have tolls, travel time, and most importantly traffic to deal with.  Do some homework on a reasonable parking garage and uber/cab/walk everywhere you need to go.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#11]
We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Chicago - Magnificent Mile  last year and will stay there again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top