Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2017 9:45:27 AM EDT
Hello All,
I have to run to the Chicago Area for a few days for work.  They are allowing me to drive there instead of flying so I will be able to bring anything I want.  I have looked at the state laws and have a basic understanding but I still have a few questions.  I also will be in need of any information anyone has on the local counties I will be in(Dupage and Kane) as I understand the counties around Chicago also have stricter gun laws than at the state level(I think?).  I know my CCW will not be honored there so the firearms will have to be transported unloaded in a case with the magazines and ammunition separate.  I was considering taking an AR pistol and Glock pistol but was wondering if I would run into any magazine restrictions.  From what I can tell the magazine restrictions have been over-ridden by they state law but I wanted to confirm.  Is it acceptable in Ill. as it is in my home state to have the firearm in a case but loaded magazines in a separate 'compartment'(ie. guns in the trunk, loaded magazines in a bag in the front/backseat?  Also it looks as if the state knife laws are pretty 'fair', but are there any local knife restrictions such as blade length, etc.?

Thanks in Advance!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a conceal carry license from your home state you can legally keep a loaded handgun in your car. If the firearm leaves the vehicle it would have to be unloaded, though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:37:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have a conceal carry license from your home state you can legally keep a loaded handgun in your car. If the firearm leaves the vehicle it would have to be unloaded, though.
View Quote
What he said. Keep it loaded in your car with you when you're in it and unload it and case it when you leave the car.   No mag limits on pistols in the city and you can have the mags loaded just not in the gun when you are securing it. 
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Awesome, that's even better than I expected!

Thanks a lot guys
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]
May want to investigate  ...

I considered this recently and decided to check the fine print of my company T&E policy beforehand. It specifically calls out no firearms while "engaging in or traveling for " company business, with an agreememt to no reimbursement and job termination if violated.

I decided the leave a sidearm locked in a case in the trunk and accepted that it was less of an active self protection tool and more of a get home tool. In case of accident where it is discovered I figure I can use "... oh I forgot it was in there ..."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top