Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2017 10:12:44 PM EDT
I'm writing this post not to bash -- hopefully one of the owners might see this.

I try to support my local brick and mortar stores and within reason I am sometimes willing to pay a bit more (and pay sales tax) to support local gunshops.  I have shopped at Gat for 14 years since I work close by.

The Pro's:  I have bought a whole bunch of ammo from Gat.  Good supply, decent prices, and well laid out.  I have also shot at Gat several times and like the new range.

The Con's:  Good God people, it is impossible to get service in this store.  I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to look at a firearm and I cannot get anyone to even acknowledge my presence.  Yes, I know you are busy -- maybe put in a number system.  I kid you not, today I wanted to look at some Daniel Defense rifles as I am in the market and plan to get one soon.  I waited at the counter for 25 minutes without being helped.  I also wanted to look at a Sig 938.  

Damn -- figure it out.  I realized today that I have never bought a firearm from Gat.  I have bought multiple firearms from every other local competitor within 30 miles over the last 14 years but not 1 from Gat because it is always the same -- no friggin service.

So, I went to a competitor and because I could get someone to help me I bought a new Sig 938.  I feel better now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I've only been to GAT once. I had the same problem, too forever to get someone to help me. Have not been back since.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I was there yesterday, Saturday, very busy. Had at least 3 folks upstairs ask me if they could help with anything. I purchased a Keltec bullpup from them in January, looking at a model 29 classic yesterday. I buy ammo on line in bulk, but GAT has a good selection always, they had 22 long rifle in bulk long before others in the area.
Some of the guys have attitudes at times and there is a lot of competition around for my shooting dollars but GAT is a good place to start when looking for new equiptment.  
A number of my guns I've bought on line over the years because of the price differential. But if  
The price is within 15% or so I'll get it local, and GATs has always been good to me when they had what I wanted, been dealing with them for well over 30 years.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm writing this post not to bash -- hopefully one of the owners might see this.

I try to support my local brick and mortar stores and within reason I am sometimes willing to pay a bit more (and pay sales tax) to support local gunshops.  I have shopped at Gat for 14 years since I work close by.

The Pro's:  I have bought a whole bunch of ammo from Gat.  Good supply, decent prices, and well laid out.  I have also shot at Gat several times and like the new range.

The Con's:  Good God people, it is impossible to get service in this store.  I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to look at a firearm and I cannot get anyone to even acknowledge my presence.  Yes, I know you are busy -- maybe put in a number system.  I kid you not, today I wanted to look at some Daniel Defense rifles as I am in the market and plan to get one soon.  I waited at the counter for 25 minutes without being helped.  I also wanted to look at a Sig 938.  

Damn -- figure it out.  I realized today that I have never bought a firearm from Gat.  I have bought multiple firearms from every other local competitor within 30 miles over the last 14 years but not 1 from Gat because it is always the same -- no friggin service.

So, I went to a competitor and because I could get someone to help me I bought a new Sig 938.  I feel better now.
View Quote

It is much better to go after work on a weekday if you want to look at / purchase a gun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven't been there in years, but I know about the waiting. There are more examples, but the last time I was there I waited 30 to 45 minutes to be asked if I wanted to see something in the case. I was one of two customers in the entire store and I stood by the same group of cases, right side upper floor the entire time. There where people everywhere and they were all busy talking to each other. Finally one guy came strolling down from his conversation and asked if I wanted to see anything. That place is a drive for me, but it was another place to check out from time to time. I'm not driving 45min to stand around for another 45min to be asked if I want help when there are tons of employees and only 2 customers in the store.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is much better to go after work on a weekday if you want to look at / purchase a gun.
View Quote

My example above was on a weekday morning.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was there at 2pm on a weekday.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

My example above was on a weekday morning.

OK, that is petty bad.  OTOH, I would not have had a problem being "rude" and getting one people conversing with their coworkers to, you know, do their job.  

The one issue I have had there is counter people not wanting to sell me +P+ 9 mm they had on their shelf, for sale.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate good service as much as anyone, but if I want to see something, I just ask one of them.

Should you have to do that?  I don't know, but I've never had to stand around and wait.  Much easier.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#9]
You want attention, lean on a glass case. They will come in a  hurry. Just tell them you were getting tired from waiting so long for some service.
Then leave.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't been there in a few years. I was trying to decide between a couple of handguns and had some questions. The salesman was very condescending, made me feel like a dumbass. Hopefully things have changed, I won't go back though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Check out Marengo Guns. No need to ask to handle a firearm. Just show your FOID to the person at the counter then walk to the "wall of guns" and play with anything you wish.

http://www.marengoguns.com
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Yah -- I loves them.  They had ammo when no one else did -- maybe a bit pricy but they HAD it.  I have bought there 'off the rack' and via special order.  The key is to go early on a weekday morning.  It helps to be retired.  Even then . . . some days you still have to wait.  Friday evenings and weekends -- bring a book.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yah -- I loves them.  They had ammo when no one else did -- maybe a bit pricy but they HAD it.
View Quote
This is why I like GAT Guns despite my posts about their lousy customer service.  They had ammo when no one else did.  A high compliment in my book.  Now, if their guys cared about selling guns as much I would have never made the original post.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Check out Marengo Guns. No need to ask to handle a firearm. Just show your FOID to the person at the counter then walk to the "wall of guns" and play with anything you wish.

http://www.marengoguns.com
View Quote
Agreed.  Marengo Guns is a good place to do business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top