Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2017 5:49:27 PM EDT
What is needed to legally send ammo to an IL resident?  

I did some research and looks like I need a copy of tje receiving party's driver's license and copy of FOID card...then ship to the address on these id's.  

That accurate?
Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:49:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What is needed to legally send ammo to an IL resident?  

I did some research and looks like I need a copy of tje receiving party's driver's license and copy of FOID card...then ship to the address on these id's.  

That accurate?
Thanks for the help!
View Quote

I don't think the driver's license is needed but FOID for sure, and then yes, ship to the address on the FOID.

ETA: Just checked, and yes, DL or State ID must be included too.

(430 ILCS 65/3) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-3)
Sec. 3.
(b-5) Any resident may purchase ammunition from a person outside of Illinois. Any resident purchasing ammunition outside the State of Illinois must provide the seller with a copy of his or her valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card and either his or her Illinois driver's license or Illinois State Identification Card prior to the shipment of the ammunition. The ammunition may be shipped only to an address on either of those 2 documents.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Any time I have had ammo shipped to me I was always required to send a copy of my DL and FOID Card.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Correct. DL and FOID and ship to that address.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#4]
That works.
Thank you guys!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to make sure that the county and city allows shipping of ammo. Around the Chicago area it is banned. Make sure to check where it is OK and not.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:02:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need to make sure that the county and city allows shipping of ammo. Around the Chicago area it is banned. Make sure to check where it is OK and not.
View Quote

Source?

Some retailers may not ship to Chicago/Cook County, but think that is just their policy because they dont understand the law or  are just afraid of Chicago.

BTW ammo can be purchased off of a CCL as well as a FOID, but since a FOID is a requirement for a CCL...

and I believe there are some ammo types prohibited but never known anyone to have them e.g. dragon’s breath shotgun shell, bolo shell, or flechette shell
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:21:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a very poorly worded post, especially the second sentence. Chicago might have something on the books to try and deter online ammunition sales, but it definitely doesn't affect municipalities outside the city.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Banned? I have ammo shipped into cook county all of the time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I just snap a pic on my phone of foid, some places do require a dl pic as well so I just snap both and send email via jpeg file.  Some vendors require you to phone in ammo order once they have your info.
Just depends I guess. 

The co. I live in has no restrictions on ammo or mag capacity so no info on online orders/shipping there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Most online retailers let you upload a JPG scan of your DL and FOID, which they keep on file for the next time you place an order.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top