Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2017 10:23:40 PM EDT
Hey,
Anyone know of a good one or two day Individual First Aid Kit training class (Illinois or Midwest area)?  I did find one that Spartan Training is holding.  Wondering if anyone else has taken one somewhere else.

Thx.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Havent been to one but seem to recall some prior medical emergency trauma classes offered by Fortress Defense.   Dont know if it was a regular thing or once in a while as demand warrants.   Think they are out of Crete.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:42:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Before I was sidelined, Frank from Fortress Defense was where I was sending my Instructors and students/RSO's.

I would unreservedly endorse this course.  

Damn good course for the money, and a great team presentation.   Tac Med was the name of the course...

Rocco
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#5]
@slarti - if you put together a class, let us know.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey,
Anyone know of a good one or two day Individual First Aid Kit training class (Illinois or Midwest area)?  I did find one that Spartan Training is holding.  Wondering if anyone else has taken one somewhere else.
H
Thx.
View Quote

OP, get your moneys worth and take an EMT-B course. $200-400 usually for 8 weeks or so, one or two nights a week
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OP, get your moneys worth and take an EMT-B course. $200-400 usually for 8 weeks or so, one or two nights a week
View Quote

I'd really be interested in where you're finding that.  Everything that I'm seeing is about 120 hrs of training.  Most are 4.5 month courses taught at COD, JJC, WCC.  There were also a few 14 day 12 hr a day courses as well.  All cost more than the 200 - 400.

Maybe my google foo is weak on this...but I'm not seeing it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@slarti - if you put together a class, let us know.
View Quote

I'm still looking.  I don't know if I want to lead putting a class together, but I'll post back here what I've found.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:41:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm still looking.  I don't know if I want to lead putting a class together, but I'll post back here what I've found.
View Quote

I hear ya. One idea is to open a GSheet and let peeps post username, availability, and zip code, then build something which is perfect for none, inconvenient for all :D ... My guess is you don't want to be on hook for the contract piece with the provider?? Maybe enuf interest on a GSheet convinces one to lead it her/himself?

BTW, your Google foo is not the only one lacking on this topic. A cpl yrs back I contacted various providers, tried to arrange a class, etc -- vapor. It's like I said "CPR" and these guys heard "Med School" ... No dude! I just want a basic course in field trauma management!! I will bring my own IFAK or you tell me what to buy and we train on it. Again - think CPR class model.

Nada ...
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I am working on dates for getting a Dark Angel class together. It will be down near St. Louis.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd really be interested in where you're finding that.  Everything that I'm seeing is about 120 hrs of training.  Most are 4.5 month courses taught at COD, JJC, WCC.  There were also a few 14 day 12 hr a day courses as well.  All cost more than the 200 - 400.

View Quote

I follow many firefighter Facebook pages. There was an EMT-B course in Nauvoo advertised for $200 for all 8 or 10 weeks, and then there was one near Bloomington for $350. They ran from Jan-May IIRC.

Check with your local fire department or ambulance service. Realize that they usually offer significant discounts if you reside in their district as they want you to be on their rescue squad/volunteer dept (imagine the nerve, people giving up their weeknights to teach people, and then expect one to give back to the community) Out of district/area tuition usually doubles, FYI
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I follow many firefighter Facebook pages. There was an EMT-B course in Nauvoo advertised for $200 for all 8 or 10 weeks, and then there was one near Bloomington for $350. They ran from Jan-May IIRC.

Check with your local fire department or ambulance service. Realize that they usually offer significant discounts if you reside in their district as they want you to be on their rescue squad/volunteer dept (imagine the nerve, people giving up their weeknights to teach people, and then expect one to give back to the community) Out of district/area tuition usually doubles, FYI
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I acknowledge that this is @slarti's thread, I gotta say that this again seems like WAY more info than desired. Meaning, I would want one 8 hr day to learn battlefield trauma triage ... not an hour a week to learn EMT stuff. Or are they the same and I don't know it?

If yes, I prefer something which fits the following description - 'where can I find training on how to use an ifak with high probability of a casevac, as well as how to use an ifak with low probability of a casevac.'
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dark A gel Medical will have an instructir come out if you can get 12-15 people together
View Quote

I would do this. I love their kits and carry them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top