Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2017 11:06:59 PM EDT
Hello guys, quick question for you all. I'll be traveling through IL later this summer, specifically travelling through Chicago with a diesel truck and a camper. Am I allowed to have my pistol with me? Is there a way to legally travel with it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Please hold off....found the link to read. Sorry!
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Found it. I'm a dumb ass.

I was reading that it is allowed to have "regular capacity magazines". Does that mean my 19 round XDm is acceptable?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have concealed carry in your home state (preferably with a home state permit/license) then you can concealed carry a handgun while in your vehicle in IL. If you do not have concealed carry, then handguns would need to be unloaded, and enclosed in some kind of case or container.

Mag capacity is a subject of some cautious debate. Handgun regulation was pre-empted by the state in 2013, but some municipalities with local magazine capacity bans claim that handgun magazines are not covered by the preemption. AFAIK there is no court history yet, which may be a good sign (no one has been prosecuted?), but it's something to at least be aware of so you can make an informed choice as to how you want to proceed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no regulation on handgun magazine capacity for non-residents.  
Transportation or in-car concealed carry is preempted throughout the state.  
Only gets sticky for the residents of verboten Northern parts of the state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top