Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2016 5:57:22 PM EDT
I bought a new car in Indiana. I'll be moving to indiana hopefully within 6 months

I don't have a front bracket on my car right now and I don't want to permanently alter it when I will no longer need it soon

Does anyone know what the cost of the ticket is? I'm guessing putting the plate in the front window isn't good enough?

Just another reason  I'll be glad to be done with this state
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Googme is your friend:
https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/vsd7001.pdf

Fyi: http://www.rho-plate.com
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I found that PDF, but I question the $75 fine since the document was issued in 2007.  I believe the minimum fine for a petty offense such as this is now $120.

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/sos_dop10.pdf
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I found that PDF, but I question the $75 fine since the document was issued in 2007.  I believe the minimum fine for a petty offense such as this is now $120.

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/sos_dop10.pdf
View Quote

It sounds like a petty offense, but be aware while it may be a petty offense for the first and second conviction, but  a third conviction within a year of the first offense could make the offender guilty of a Class C Misdemeanor
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
It is now $120.00, as are most IVC violations.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It sounds like a petty offense, but be aware while it may be a petty offense for the first and second conviction, but  a third conviction within a year of the first offense could make the offender guilty of a Class C Misdemeanor
View Quote

I did read that, too, but neglected to mention it.  It's worth noting.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:50:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a new car in Indiana. I'll be moving to indiana hopefully within 6 months

I don't have a front bracket on my car right now and I don't want to permanently alter it when I will no longer need it soon

Does anyone know what the cost of the ticket is? I'm guessing putting the plate in the front window isn't good enough?

View Quote

I had a Porsche 944T that didn't have a front plate for about 10 years.  YMMV
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:35:35 AM EDT
[#7]
On an odd note, if you get a LEO who's a dick, or having a bad day... A 3/4 ton truck requires more than a B-truck plate even if you don't ever intend to tow/haul more than a b-plate allows.  Makes no sense why the DMV would even issue a B-truck plate when they know it's not a 1/2 ton based on the title...but they do.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
On an odd note, if you get a LEO who's a dick, or having a bad day... A 3/4 ton truck requires more than a B-truck plate even if you don't ever intend to tow/haul more than a b-plate allows.  Makes no sense why the DMV would even issue a B-truck plate when they know it's not a 1/2 ton based on the title...but they do.
View Quote

The vehicle gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is sometimes used to determine vehicle weight in regards to registration.  Usually overweight citations are issued for overweight on registration (vehicles weight on scale is over the registered gross weight of vehicle), over weight on axle, overweight on bridge ( a formula which uses the length of vehicles and the number and spacing of axles) or overweight on gross.    The overweight on registered license weight is Chapter 3 whereas normal overweight is chaper 15.   Technically  the same vehicle could be given four seperate violations/citations under certain circumstances for being over weight.  Usually that is rare, normally there are one or two citations but the circumstances can always have an influence on the Officers enforcement.   Many times with ISP there is one overweight citations and maybe warnings on additional violations.

It is currently more common for local agencies (especially up north) to enforce overweight and second division violations.  Local jurisdictions are using these violations to get the fine money.  Most of the fine money for citations issued for overweights by ISP goes back in to the road funds (IDOT) to repair the roads.

To my knowledge the police academies  local officers attend rarely teach laws regarding overweight and second division laws.  Normally local officers who write overweight citations are sent to special training classes to learn overweight enforcement or over size violations requiring permits.

I could see where an Officer might issue a citation if a 3/4 ton truck with a GVWR greater than 8001 pounds was using passenger car plates.  Years ago a person was not permitted to use passenger plates on trucks but people in Chicago tried using passenger or RV plates so they could legally park on a city street (trucks were prohibited from parking overnight on city streets).  The SOS changed it where a vehicle was described as a carryall (truck or Van) and could be registered with passenger or B truck plates.  Problems occur when you purchase a different vehicle and transfer the plates.  Most transfers are done by dealership and errors occur.   With all the different plates authorized today it gets very confusing to the public and clerks in dealerships.

As long as the vehicle being registered was of the second division I would not cite a person for using a B truck plate on a vehicle with a GVWR over 8001 pounds.  If the vehicle and load weighed more than 8001 pounds and was not pulling a trailer then the vehicle would be overweight on registration and could be cited.  With larger vehicles/loads Troopers were permitted to issue warnings for amounts less than 2000 pounds if the load could be shifted or removed to come into compliance.  Things are in a constant state of change but to my knowledge this is still correct info.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

The safest way to keep from getting stopped for improper display of registration is to wire tie the front plate to the front grill.  Used to be the plate was required to be attached with screws or bolts but the courts ruled as long as the plate was attached and visible the requirements had been met.  There used to be a specification on the height the plate had to be displayed but I doubt most Officers could quote the requirement.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#10]
VASCAR2 made a good recommendation.  The minimum height requirement was changed and the maximum height requirement was removed from the statute.  You can thank the Illinois Street Rod Association for that.  Properly applied zip ties should be considered "securely fastened".

(625 ILCS 5/3-413) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 3-413)
    Sec. 3-413. Display of registration plates,(b) Except for vehicles with rear loaded motorized forklifts, every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than 5 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained in a condition to be clearly legible, free from any materials that would obstruct the visibility of the plate.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I haven't had a front plate for years, I have been pulled over a few times and nothing was said. I guess its all about attitude.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I haven't had a front plate for years, I have been pulled over a few times and nothing was said. I guess its all about attitude.
View Quote

And location.  If you are in a part of the state where small stuff is a big deal to LE, you might wind up getting cited.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#13]
i havent had one in years

not going to drill my bumper.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i havent had one in years

not going to drill my bumper.
View Quote

Any tickets because of it?
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And location.  If you are in a part of the state where small stuff is a big deal to LE, you might wind up getting cited.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went 8 years without a front plate without issues. It wasn't until I was street parked and gone that LE or parking/traffic attendants seemed to notice. I'd wager a vehicle that is parked on private property for 99% of its life is safe with only a rear plate.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not true. Straight from the dmv.
B-truck license plates are issued to Second Division vehicles weighing 8,000lbs or less .....nothing to do with gvwr.

1ton trucks almost always always have d plates.

3/4 can really go either way.

I've had more 3/4 ton trucks than fingers on one hand. And have never had D plates.

I have seen a couple 1 ton Trucks use the wording of the law to get b plates. Came with with a weigh ticket less than 8000lbs . Walked out with b plates ..

But back to no front plate. Don't drive like a moron and you'll be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top