Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2016 12:29:02 AM EDT
I moved back to Michigan 2 years ago, and have never looked back....except for the winter. Why the hell can't MDOT get the freeways plowed in a timely manner. That is definitely one advantage the toll ways have over freeways.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:35:47 AM EDT
[#1]
At the time of the 2011 Groundhog Day Blizzard, I was working in Rockford.  I live in McHenry County, so my normal route would've taken me along rural state and county roads that were rendered impassable by the storm.  Instead, I headed south towards I-90.  The local streets were still terrible, and even Route 53 (multilane highway, maintained by IDOT) wasn't in great shape.  I-90, though, looked like it had barely even snowed at all.  All lanes and shoulders were open with traffic flowing at or above the speed limit.  It was amazing to see my toll dollars at work.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 3:28:17 AM EDT
[#2]
In Illinois, aren't the tollways plowed by the same IDOT trucks as the non-toll expressways?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In Illinois, aren't the tollways plowed by the same IDOT trucks as the non-toll expressways?
View Quote

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/illinois-tollway-mobilizes-fleet-of-snowplows-for-recent-snowfall/

Illinois Tollway mobilizes fleet of snowplows for recent snowfall

The Illinois Tollway is mobilizing all 192 snowplows in response to the snowfall that is expected to continue through Monday.

In addition to using all available snowplows, a staff of more than 200 people per shift will ensure that the roadways are clear of ice and snow, according to a statement from the Illinois Tollway. Any temporary lane closures over the weekend have been cancelled to help with traffic flow.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Tollway has their own employees equipment and trucks.  The Tollway Troopers have different cars (ITHA owned) and equipment than the rest of the state.  The Tollway was using 450 MGhz and then 800 MGhz radios while the rest of the state was still primarily on low band and some high band.   At one time Tollway Troopers had additional benefits compared the rest of the state.  The Tollway maintenance (ITHA) employees had different pay and benefits compared to IDOT.   The ITHA drivers used to love to plow snow when I used to work there.   The ITHA had very good equipment with their own mechanics and was a good place to work.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
OK. I didn't realize that. If it's of any interest, I read that the state legislature is considering making I55 a tollway. I'm not sure how true it is.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Over the past year or so IDOT has tossed about ideas for adding lanes to the Eisenhower and I55 that would be tolls.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top