Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2016 11:05:38 AM EDT
My sister and her fiance live in the rockford area and I would like to gift them a rifle I have.  The rifle is my personal property and I was hoping to give it them for Christmas. The fiance has a FOID card.  Can I just gift this to them when they come up here or must I do something else?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure on the legalities of giving your relative a firearm from one states residence to another.
However,Illinois state law requires the owner of any firearm be required to keep a receipt of that firearm for 10 years.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to transfer through an FFL
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct, any transfer across state lines needs to go through an FFL
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is not entirely true.  I will agree that the OP will have to go through an FFL though.

A person may transfer a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her State, provided the transferor does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the transferee is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. There may be State laws that regulate intrastate firearm transactions. A person considering transferring a firearm should contact his or her State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible State or local restrictions.

Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee’s State of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check.

A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he or she or she does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent.

A person may transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(5) and 922(d); 27 CFR 478.30, 478.32]

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#5]
ffl transfer. I'm sure there is a dirt cheap ffl in rockford who can help you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ffl transfer. I'm sure there is a dirt cheap ffl in rockford who can help you.
View Quote

Marengo Guns is not that far from Rockford.  I don't know what the current transfer fee is, but it was $10 a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That is not entirely true.  I will agree that the OP will have to go through an FFL though.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A person may transfer a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her State, provided the transferor does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the transferee is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. There may be State laws that regulate intrastate firearm transactions. A person considering transferring a firearm should contact his or her State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible State or local restrictions.

Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee’s State of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check.

A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he or she or she does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent.

A person may transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(5) and 922(d); 27 CFR 478.30, 478.32]

I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input guys.  That's kinda what I figured.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#9]
You can buy a rifle from bordering states. For simplicity though I would just transfer it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#10]
if they can't keep their mouths shut take it to an ffl.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks for the input guys.  That's kinda what I figured.
View Quote
That is nice of you to give them a cool present.

I hope they live happily ever after.

BTW, do you have a lake I can come fish in?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top