Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2016 10:21:46 AM EDT
Looking to find a couple places to purchase an AR and live in the Downtown area (River North) but haven't found much of anything. I'm new to the forum and community but trying to learn as much as I can. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
best bet would be online & have lower shipped to an ffl. you would probably be better of looking at ar pistols than rifles since rifles are a NoGo in the chicago area.

I have used in the past Union Arms in Berwyn , gunguyonline out in Naperville , great guy & now exclusively use Hanson assault systems out in Oaklawn area , also a great guy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Marengo Guns, in of all places Marengo.
Large selection of new and used. Fair prices.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Some local shops will not sell you an AR due to the Chicago ban.  They are legal to do as you could be keeping it in the burbs, but they are not willing to take a chance on any future lawsuits.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#4]
midwest guns has ar pistols but over priced , 355 range out in the bolingbrook area has DD factory ar pistols last time I was there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#5]
You'll have to go to a shop in the suburbs and also keep the AR in the suburbs to be legal
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
best bet would be online & have lower shipped to an ffl. you would probably be better of looking at ar pistols than rifles since rifles are a NoGo in the chicago area.

I have used in the past Union Arms in Berwyn , gunguyonline out in Naperville , great guy & now exclusively use Hanson assault systems out in Oaklawn area , also a great guy.
View Quote

Is gunguyonline a kitchen table kind of guy? I live in Wheaton so having a shop close by is a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is gunguyonline a kitchen table kind of guy? I live in Wheaton so having a shop close by is a good thing.
View Quote

If you are looking for a guy near Wheaton, I recommend mike losacco in W Chicago  http://mikelosacco.biz

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome OP!

New to the forum and community, huh? Does that also mean new to ARs? New to shooting sports?

I ask because your post suggests that you're just looking for opinions on where to make a transaction? If you're also interested in considerations (e.g. brands, how to be legal in the city, etc.) this is a great place for info.

If you want to touch many options in a single visit, MegaSports in Plainfield is a good start.

BTW, do you know about the FOID card requirement?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's a home based FFL / shop & has a ( sort of ) storefront in his home. He's a real nice guy who will always help if you need something he doesn't carry.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you are looking for a guy near Wheaton, I recommend mike losacco in W Chicago  http://mikelosacco.biz

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1. Mike is a good guy to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#11]
GAT guns on route 25 in East Dundee has about any assemble MSR you could want to see. I go there to see what I want and if I can't save a good bit of $$$ on line  
I'll pick it up there. He also has had ammo out the ass for quite a while. 100s of thousands of 22 LR if not a million last time I was there. I live one block from cook county and would be a felon if I moved down the street. Not many prosecutions over the ban, but don't become an example. Find a home based FFL and start ordering, it's addictive.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 1:28:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some local shops will not sell you an AR due to the Chicago ban.  They are legal to do as you could be keeping it in the burbs, but they are not willing to take a chance on any future lawsuits.

View Quote

Wait, what?  Does Chicago still have a ban on AR's?  I thought that this was shot down some time ago?

EDIT: Wow, you are quite right.  I really need to get out of this state (although I don't live in Chicago).
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make this another +1 for Mike. Awesome guy to work with.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got back from Rink's in Lockport and had a blast (no pun intended)! I didn't look at the ARs but I'm sure they have some.

They just finished upgrading their range and I think they did a fantastic job. They have an electronic touchscreen where you can select from several different distances. Not having to manually roll out your target is a huge plus!

The guys there are very cool, and they didn't charge me for renting two guns because I ended up trying out five different models. It's $15 for range access and $6 per handgun rental.

I wanted to shoot a Gen 4 Glock 17 but they didn't have one available. They ended up opening a new one for range rental (which I got to break in obviously). Now that's service!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just got back from Rink's in Lockport and had a blast (no pun intended)! I didn't look at the ARs but I'm sure they have some.

They just finished upgrading their range and I think they did a fantastic job. They have an electronic touchscreen where you can select from several different distances. Not having to manually roll out your target is a huge plus!

The guys there are very cool, and they didn't charge me for renting two guns because I ended up trying out five different models. It's $15 for range access and $6 per handgun rental.

I wanted to shoot a Gen 4 Glock 17 but they didn't have one available. They ended up opening a new one for range rental (which I got to break in obviously). Now that's service!
View Quote

How was the ventilation?

I always heard that was the problem with that range. Hopefully they fixed it too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How was the ventilation?

I always heard that was the problem with that range. Hopefully they fixed it too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was the ventilation?

Good. I wasn't blowing anything black out of my nose afterwards like I have there before or at other ranges. That's always a good sign lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top